Can't adjust screen resolution - X

This is a discussion on Can't adjust screen resolution - X ; Hi all, I installed Debian Testing on my notebook. The installation went fine, perfect hardware recognition, everything worked perfect except for one thing. I can't adjust my screen resolution. It's set at 800x600 but I would like to set it ...

  1. Can't adjust screen resolution

    Hi all,

    I installed Debian Testing on my notebook.
    The installation went fine, perfect hardware recognition, everything worked
    perfect except for one thing.
    I can't adjust my screen resolution. It's set at 800x600 but I would like to
    set it at 1024x780.
    I've already adjusted my /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 to accept my standard screen
    resulotion at 1024x780 but that doesn't seem to do the trick.
    Can anyone help me out with this one?

    Greetings,

    Saki
    --
    Saki Arkoudopoulos
    http://lumumba.luc.ac.be/~saki

  2. Re: Can't adjust screen resolution

    Saki Arkoudopoulos wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I installed Debian Testing on my notebook.
    > The installation went fine, perfect hardware recognition, everything worked
    > perfect except for one thing.
    > I can't adjust my screen resolution. It's set at 800x600 but I would like to
    > set it at 1024x780.
    > I've already adjusted my /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 to accept my standard screen
    > resulotion at 1024x780 but that doesn't seem to do the trick.
    > Can anyone help me out with this one?

    Check your /var/log/XFree86.0.log (think it was called that), and see what it
    says about your 1024x780 mode, could be that the mode has a faulty frequency,
    which makes that you can't display it without tweaking the config file a bit,
    I usually have only base information about my monitor (Section Monitor), this
    way I have a lot less problems with screen resolutions.
    Another thing that you may have, is that the driver selected for your graphics
    may be VGA, which don't support larger screens, you may have to select another
    driver to be able to display larger screens (this requiers that there is a
    driver for the graphicscard built into your laptop).

    Make always a backup of your config file before you start tweaking.

    //Aho

  3. Re: Can't adjust screen resolution

    On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 13:36:18 +0200, Saki Arkoudopoulos staggered into
    the Black Sun and said:
    > I installed Debian Testing on my notebook.

    Does this laptop have a make and model number? ("Dull Inspiron 380.5" or
    something similar.) That information is vital for solving this problem.

    > everything worked perfect except for one thing. I can't adjust my
    > screen resolution. It's set at 800x600 but I would like to set it at
    > 1024x780.

    You mean 1024x768, shirley? Unless the LCD is exactly 1024x780 pixels,
    which doesn't seem likely.

    > I've already adjusted my /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 to accept my standard
    > screen resulotion at 1024x780 but that doesn't seem to do the trick.

    Post your XF86Config-4 file on your webspace and follow up to this
    message with the URL, so people can look at it and make recommendations.

    http://www.brainbench.com / Hire me!