Console Fonts on X exit - X

This is a discussion on Console Fonts on X exit - X ; Hi. I need some X-pert advice here. I use Slackware 10 and use a graphical logon with KDM (run level 4). When I logout either by KDE point and click or in a console that I su'ed to root and ...

  1. Console Fonts on X exit

    Hi. I need some X-pert advice here. I use Slackware 10 and use a
    graphical logon with KDM (run level 4). When I logout either by KDE
    point and click or in a console that I su'ed to root and type shutdown
    -r(or h) now...I see distorted fonts sometimes behind a distorted
    wallpaper. I've googled a bit and some say a reset or setfont command
    will fix this...that I have not tried yet (not at my PC). Other post
    indicate to reduce the VideRam setting in xorg.conf.

    What's the right fix here? Could I run setfont adn/or reset
    automatically via a script. My boot up messages are nice using the
    vesa frame buffer and Tux is there in the upper left. Whenever, I
    shutdown/reboot I can't read those messages.

    Any help much apprecaited...thanks!

  2. Re: Console Fonts on X exit

    On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 07:50:23 -0700, R. Bair rambled:

    > Hi. I need some X-pert advice here. I use Slackware 10 and use a
    > graphical logon with KDM (run level 4). When I logout either by KDE
    > point and click or in a console that I su'ed to root and type shutdown
    > -r(or h) now...I see distorted fonts sometimes behind a distorted
    > wallpaper. I've googled a bit and some say a reset or setfont command
    > will fix this...that I have not tried yet (not at my PC). Other post
    > indicate to reduce the VideRam setting in xorg.conf.

    Problem may lie with your config in xorg.conf as you said. I had a
    simmilar problem with distorted screen on startup (especially when running
    startx) where a distorted version of my previous desktop at shutdown was
    visible. I'll try and dig out the changes I made to the conf (was an
    Xree86 and not an Xorg file however). In the meantime experiment with
    xorg.conf?

    HTH in some way,
    Dave

    --