Until recently I've been running a Matrox G400 with custom modelines,
giving me 1280x960@85hz. Unfortunately the matrox decided to start giving
me pink vertical lines at 1cm spacings across the screen, so I've switched
over to my on-board i845G graphics chip.

Problem is, I can't get the thing to give me 1280x960! It'll do
1280x1024 happily enough (although only at 75hz), and I can get 1024x768
at some satisfactorily high refresh rate, but it refuses to touch
1280x960! I really need 1280x960 as in 1280x1024 all my photos have
the wrong aspect ratio (everyone looks fat!), and in 1024x768 I don't
get as much desktop real-estate as I need.

It's getting quite fustrating, I got a modeline (using xtiming) and added
it to my Monitor section (also tried it in its own Modes section), but
the Xorg server just ignores it, giving the error:

(II) I810(0): Not using mode "1280x960@85" (no mode of this name)

This is really annoying me as the mode IS in there! Here are the relevent
sections of my Xorg.conf:

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "My Monitor"
VendorName "My Vendor"
ModelName "My Model"
HorizSync "30-80"
VertRefresh "48-120"

Modeline "1280x960@85" 171.00 1280 1312 1960 1992 960 978 991 1009
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Card0"
Driver "i810"
VendorName "Intel Corp."
BoardName "82845G/GL [Brookdale-G] Chipset Integrated Graphics Device"
BusID "PCI:0:2:0"

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Card0"
Monitor "My Monitor"
DefaultDepth 16
SubSection "Display"
Depth 16
Modes "1280x1024" "1280x960@85" "1024x768"
EndSubSection
EndSection

I tried taking my old g400 xorg.conf file and just changing the Driver
line in the device section from mga to i810, as this should rule out any
syntax problems in the config file, and I got exactly the same thing:
during the i810 initialisation, it lists a number of (what I think are)
vesa modes - not including 1280x960, then after that list, it again says:

(II) I810(0): Not using mode "1280x960mga" (no mode of this name)

("1280x960mga" being the name of my matrox's 1280x960 custom modeline)

Does anyone have any ideas about what's going on here? Why can't I set
1280x960? I've been banging my head on this for a while, it's really
annoying me!

Can't really afford it right now (am a student in need of a bigger
overdraft!), but if I can't get a solution soon I'll have to try and pick
up another G400 from ebay... that's my last resort though!