Where to put "xset b off" - X

This is a discussion on Where to put "xset b off" - X ; Since my speaker is rather loud and bash bell's at each more or less important wrong action I had put the speaker off in the console with "setterm -blength 0" in the ".bashrc". I also put it into the profile ...

  1. Where to put "xset b off"

    Since my speaker is rather loud and bash bell's at each more or less
    important wrong action I had put the speaker off in the console with
    "setterm -blength 0" in the ".bashrc". I also put it into the profile in
    the hope it would work under X as well.

    I know now that I have to use "xset b off" but I don't know where to put
    it into. If I create a ".xsession" or a ".xinitrc" my standard XFCE4
    desktop doesn't work anymore. Isn't there a place I can put this "xset b
    off" while my XFCE setup keeps on working?

    O. Wyss

    --
    See a huge pile of work at "http://wyodesktop.sourceforge.net/"

  2. Re: Where to put "xset b off"

    On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 21:53:11 +0200, Otto Wyss wrote:

    It should work fine as long as you write "xset b off &" into your .xinitrc
    file...obviously before it executes the window manager.

  3. Re: Where to put "xset b off"

    otto.wyss@orpatec.ch news:1gm6jyg.1ob6pjq6iy4awN%otto.wyss@orpatec.ch

    Btw, where things like
    xbindkeys (Xbind demon)
    and
    3ddesktopd (3d desktop switcher demon)
    should be placed?

    --
    ~~~~=~~~~l_;~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    _|\___J \____, Pozdrawiam, moje www, C++, kontakt, itd.:

  4. Re: Where to put "xset b off"

    Glenn wrote:

    > On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 21:53:11 +0200, Otto Wyss wrote:
    >
    > It should work fine as long as you write "xset b off &" into your .xinitrc
    > file...obviously before it executes the window manager.

    It should but it doesn't! As soon as I add a .xinitrc into my home
    directory XFCE4 doesn't start as normal since I guess my user .xinitrc
    replaces the standard XFCE4 startup. So to fix the situation there
    either has to be another way which _adds_ the user's entries to the
    standard startup or I have to copy that standard startup. Unfortunately
    I've no idea where it's hidden.

    O. Wyss

    --
    See a huge pile of work at "http://wyodesktop.sourceforge.net/"

  5. Re: Where to put "xset b off"

    On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 17:42:39 +0200, Otto Wyss staggered into the Black
    Sun and said:
    > Glenn wrote:
    >> It should work fine as long as you write "xset b off &" into your
    >> .xinitrc file...obviously before it executes the window manager.

    > It should but it doesn't! As soon as I add a .xinitrc into my home
    > directory XFCE4 doesn't start as normal since I guess my user .xinitrc
    > replaces the standard XFCE4 startup. So to fix the situation there
    > either has to be another way which _adds_ the user's entries to the
    > standard startup or I have to copy that standard startup.
    > Unfortunately I've no idea where it's hidden.

    Check the documentation for this window manager/desktop environment.
    There's got to be a hook somewhere. In KDE, ~/.xinitrc is not read, but
    all the programs in ~/.kde/Autostart/ are run automatically when you log
    in to a KDE session using startkde or choosing a KDE session from
    kdm/gdm/xdm.

    http://www.brainbench.com / Hire me!