AVI plugins for Totem - X

This is a discussion on AVI plugins for Totem - X ; I've installed totem on my Fedora Core 2 machine using YUM. The problem is, when I try to play a avi file, totem outputs only audio, no video. Sometimes, it says that no plugins are installed to handle AVI files. ...

  1. AVI plugins for Totem

    I've installed totem on my Fedora Core 2 machine using YUM. The problem
    is, when I try to play a avi file, totem outputs only audio, no video.
    Sometimes, it says that no plugins are installed to handle AVI files. I
    tried googling for AVI plugins for Totem but no luck. Any help is
    appreciated.

    GVK

  2. Re: AVI plugins for Totem

    On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 19:20:25 +0530, GVK rambled:

    > Sometimes, it says that no plugins are installed to handle AVI files. I
    > tried googling for AVI plugins for Totem but no luck. Any help is
    > appreciated.

    AVI is not a format in it's own right. Fully titled it is Audio-Visual
    Interleve -- you can hear sound because the audio component is likely a
    version of MPEG (notoriously II layer 3) which you do have available.

    You're not seeing video not because Totem doesn't support AVI (it
    certainly does), but because your missing the specific video codec to
    decode the file.

    You need to know which codec you require before we can help you. A good
    way to determine this it to run 'file' on the video in question:

    eg. file somevideo.mpg
    15fps video: Microsoft MJPEG-4 v2

    From there google will help you find the codec. Due to lisencing problems
    few distros will package some codecs - google for penguin liberation front
    for information on how to install codecs with questionable lisence
    agreements.

    HTH,
    Dave
    --