I am unable to start my X-windows - X

This is a discussion on I am unable to start my X-windows - X ; Can any one of you, send your .Xclients-default file which resides in the Home Directory in Linux. While doing some R&D on X Server, I messed up with this file and I require a fresh copy of this file. It ...

  1. I am unable to start my X-windows

    Can any one of you, send your .Xclients-default file
    which resides in the Home Directory in Linux.

    While doing some R&D on X Server, I messed up with
    this file and I require a fresh copy of this file.
    It would be of great help, if any one of you can send
    this file to me.

    The error shown to me when i type startx,the output on my screen is:

    XFree86 Version 4.1.0 (Red Hat Linux release: 4.1.0-15) / X Window System

    Release Date: 2 June 2001

    If the server is older than 6-12 months, or if your card is

    newer than the above date, look for a newer version before

    reporting problems. (See http://www.XFree86.Org/FAQ)

    Build Operating System: Linux 2.4.7-0.13.1smp i686 [ELF]
    Build Host: stripples.devel.redhat.com

    Module Loader present

    (==) Log file: "/var/log/XFree86.0.log", Time: Thu Oct 21 17:51:45 2004
    (EE)
    Unable to locate/open config file
    (EE) Error from xf86HandleConfigFile()

    Fatal server error:

    no screens found

    When reporting a problem related to a server crash, please send

    the full server output, not just the last messages.
    This can be found in the log file "/var/log/XFree86.0.log".

    Please report problems to xfree86@xfree86.org.

  2. Re: I am unable to start my X-windows

    Veena wrote:
    > Can any one of you, send your .Xclients-default file
    > which resides in the Home Directory in Linux.
    >
    > While doing some R&D on X Server, I messed up with
    > this file and I require a fresh copy of this file.
    > It would be of great help, if any one of you can send
    > this file to me.

    It has two lines:
    # Created by Red Hat Desktop Switcher
    exec gnome-session

    //Aho

  3. Re: I am unable to start my X-windows

    yeah he is right. even if you delete the .Xclients-default file in your home
    directory, xserver will load the default global file from /etc folder.
    my guess is you are missing the config file XF86Config-4 which is located in
    /etc/X11.
    jc
    "Bill Marcum" wrote in message
    > On 23 Oct 2004 01:28:20 -0700, Veena
    > wrote:
    > > Can any one of you, send your .Xclients-default file
    > > which resides in the Home Directory in Linux.
    > >

    > The log file seems to indicate that XF86Config is missing.
    >
    > > XFree86 Version 4.1.0 (Red Hat Linux release: 4.1.0-15) / X Window

    System

    > > (protocol Version 11, revision 0, vendor release 6510)
    > > Release Date: 2 June 2001
    > >
    > > If the server is older than 6-12 months, or if your card is
    > >
    > > newer than the above date, look for a newer version before
    > >
    > > reporting problems. (See http://www.XFree86.Org/FAQ)
    > >
    > > Build Operating System: Linux 2.4.7-0.13.1smp i686 [ELF]
    > > Build Host: stripples.devel.redhat.com
    > >

    > > Module Loader present
    > >
    > > (==) Log file: "/var/log/XFree86.0.log", Time: Thu Oct 21 17:51:45 2004
    > > (EE)
    > > Unable to locate/open config file
    > > (EE) Error from xf86HandleConfigFile()
    > >

    > --
    > "aptitude is also Y2K-compliant, non-fattening, naturally cleansing, and
    > housebroken."

+ Reply to Thread