how to replace fonts in RH9.0? - X

This is a discussion on how to replace fonts in RH9.0? - X ; Hello. I'm migrating from RH7.3 to RH9.0 and just have RH9.0 installed on my laptop. I've found that fonts are quite terrible - especially for konsole window. Its either too large or ugly looking. I've tried to copy fonts from ...

  1. how to replace fonts in RH9.0?

    Hello.
    I'm migrating from RH7.3 to RH9.0 and just have RH9.0 installed on my
    laptop. I've found that fonts are quite terrible - especially for konsole
    window. Its either too large or ugly looking. I've tried to copy fonts from
    my old RH7.3 installation, run 'chkfontpath --add' for every imported fonts
    edit /etc/X11/fs/config file and restart xfs + restart X itself. But no new
    fonts appeared . I've always been confused with fonts system in RH since
    its 6.0 version, but it is a first time I do need some solution to replace
    )or just add) fonts
    So the question is - does anyone have an success. experience of font
    management in RH ?

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    --
    Andrew

  2. Re: how to replace fonts in RH9.0?

    On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 00:06:03 +0400, Andrew Tkachenko wrote:

    > I'm migrating from RH7.3 to RH9.0 and just have RH9.0 installed on my
    > laptop. I've found that fonts are quite terrible - especially for konsole
    > window. Its either too large or ugly looking. I've tried to copy fonts from
    > my old RH7.3 installation, run 'chkfontpath --add' for every imported fonts
    > edit /etc/X11/fs/config file and restart xfs + restart X itself. But no new
    > fonts appeared . I've always been confused with fonts system in RH since
    > its 6.0 version, but it is a first time I do need some solution to replace
    > )or just add) fonts
    > So the question is - does anyone have an success. experience of font
    > management in RH ?

    The appearance of text on the screen depends not only on what fonts you
    have installed but also on which fonts are selected by the configuration
    (as well as what is being used to render the fonts). You've assumed that
    you don't have good fonts installed; that may be the case but I would
    guess that the real problem is in the configuration. But why are you
    installing RH9 instead of Fedora 2?

    Bob T.

  3. Re: how to replace fonts in RH9.0?

    Bob Tennent wrote:

    > The appearance of text on the screen depends not only on what fonts you
    > have installed but also on which fonts are selected by the configuration
    > (as well as what is being used to render the fonts). You've assumed that
    > you don't have good fonts installed; that may be the case but I would
    > guess that the real problem is in the configuration.
    >
    > Bob T.

    Thats probably true, but for example, if I want to change fonts for KDE's
    "konsole" program using standard way (i.e. opening konsole properties menu)
    I'm offered with small set of fonts and I have no idea how to expand it to
    the newly installed fonts.

    > guess that the real problem is in the configuration. But why are you
    > installing RH9 instead of Fedora 2?

    Unfortunaltely I have to do this because I need to set-up laptop ASAP, but I
    have no time to download it. Unfortunately, I could not set-up properly
    Rh7.3 on toshiba even after recompiling almost everything

    --
    Andrew

  4. Re: how to replace fonts in RH9.0?

    the system-wide X11 fonts go in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts. I presume you
    are running xfs (X font server). A look at /var/log/boot.log towards the
    end will confirm that. the following is my own xfs config file:
    (/etc/X11/config)
    # font server configuration file
    # $Xorg: config.cpp,v 1.3 2000/08/17 19:54:19 cpqbld Exp $

    clone-self = on
    use-syslog = off
    catalogue =
    /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc:unscaled,
    /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi:unscaled,
    /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi:unscaled,
    /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF,
    /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1,
    /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/local,
    /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo,
    /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/OTF,
    /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/korean,
    /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/cyrillic,
    /usr/share/fonts/default/Type1,
    /usr/share/fonts/zh_CN/TrueType,
    /usr/share/fonts/zh_TW/TrueType,
    /usr/share/fonts/KOI8-R/misc:unscaled,
    /usr/share/fonts/KOI8-R/100dpi:unscaled,
    /usr/share/fonts/KOI8-R/75dpi:unscaled,
    /usr/share/fonts/KOI8-R/misc,
    /usr/share/fonts/KOI8-R/100dpi,
    /usr/share/fonts/KOI8-R/75dpi,
    /usr/share/fonts/ISO8859-2/misc:unscaled,
    /usr/share/fonts/ISO8859-2/100dpi:unscaled,
    /usr/share/fonts/ISO8859-2/75dpi:unscaled,
    /usr/share/fonts/ISO8859-2/misc,
    /usr/share/fonts/ISO8859-2/100dpi,
    /usr/share/fonts/ISO8859-2/75dpi,
    /usr/share/fonts/ja/misc:unscaled,
    /usr/share/fonts/ja/misc,
    /usr/share/fonts/ja/TrueType,
    /usr/share/fonts/ko/TrueType

    error-file = /var/log/xfs.log
    # in decipoints
    default-point-size = 120
    default-resolutions = 100,100,75,75

    # font cache control, specified in KB
    #cache-hi-mark = 2048
    #cache-low-mark = 1433
    #cache-balance = 70
    # don't listen on tcp by default
    no-listen = tcp

    notice that the unscaled and 100 dpi fonts preceed others.
    After altering this run
    /etc/rc.d/init.d/xfs restart
    to restart xfs. restarting X is a good idea.

    the following commands come in handy:

    # ckhfontpath -l
    will list the font paths

    $ xfontsel
    will let you view the fonts on your system

    and of course XFree86 should be configured correctly.
    (redhat-config-xfree86)

    hope that helps.

    -Ritesh

    On Fri, 22 Oct 2004, Andrew Tkachenko wrote:

    > Bob Tennent wrote:
    >
    > > The appearance of text on the screen depends not only on what fonts you
    > > have installed but also on which fonts are selected by the configuration
    > > (as well as what is being used to render the fonts). You've assumed that
    > > you don't have good fonts installed; that may be the case but I would
    > > guess that the real problem is in the configuration.
    > >
    > > Bob T.

    > Thats probably true, but for example, if I want to change fonts for KDE's
    > "konsole" program using standard way (i.e. opening konsole properties menu)
    > I'm offered with small set of fonts and I have no idea how to expand it to
    > the newly installed fonts.
    >
    > > guess that the real problem is in the configuration. But why are you
    > > installing RH9 instead of Fedora 2?
    > >

    > Unfortunaltely I have to do this because I need to set-up laptop ASAP, but I
    > have no time to download it. Unfortunately, I could not set-up properly
    > Rh7.3 on toshiba even after recompiling almost everything

+ Reply to Thread