Remote X Access - X

This is a discussion on Remote X Access - X ; Hi, I have look at solutions to do remote access to my Linux Fedora 2 Server. Fedora has installed GNOME, KDE and TWM by default. The main goas is to allow remote users to access a graphical database system with ...

  1. Remote X Access

    Hi,

    I have look at solutions to do remote access to my Linux Fedora 2
    Server.
    Fedora has installed GNOME, KDE and TWM by default.

    The main goas is to allow remote users to access a graphical database
    system
    with good speed, to do insert/deletes/updates/reports/etc, using the
    remote
    station only for printing of reports. The user must logon in a X GUI,
    the
    application must start automatically and, when the user goes out from
    app,
    the GUI also must be closed.

    PS: Some remote users have ADSL (128k, 256k, etc), others DIAL-UP
    (from 28.8k until 56k). Then, the solution must be good for both.

    1) X over SSH: very very slow;
    2) Xvnc + vncviewer: slow, VNC graphic traffic is slow;
    3) LSTP: not so good for DIAL-UP, strange behaviour of some graphic
    windows;
    4) FreeNX: I got 0.2.5 version for Fedora + NOMACHINES client, but the
    performance was something like 3), not so good like FreeNX developers
    say.
    I know there isn't solution for real-time using like LAN accesses, but
    I would like to know if there is something like Citrix Metaframe or
    Windows Terminal Server, that allow great remote access performance
    for many users. The problem of these are HIGH POWER MACHINE and HIGH
    COST.

    My enterprise has thought about buy proprietary solutions like Citrix
    or WTS, but I really would like to try and test (and use, if possible)
    a free solution...

    Other more basic question: what's the better GUI for my situation? I
    think KDE and GNOME are very big for my restrict goal of running only
    one app, and TWM is very weak and poor interface. Is there something
    between these?

    And is it possible to start my application without buttons like Red
    Hat, shortcuts, desktop area, clock, etc, only to show my app
    maximized?

    And to close the GUI after my app is closed, is it possible to
    configure?

  2. Re: Remote X Access

    In article <46890d4f.0410211034.bac8cc4@posting.google.com>, Edilmar
    Alves wrote:

    || The main goas is to allow remote users to access a graphical database
    || system with good speed, to do insert/deletes/updates/reports/etc, using the
    || remote station only for printing of reports. The user must logon in a X
    || GUI, the application must start automatically and, when the user goes out
    || from app, the GUI also must be closed.
    || PS: Some remote users have ADSL (128k, 256k, etc), others DIAL-UP
    || (from 28.8k until 56k). Then, the solution must be good for both.
    || 1) X over SSH: very very slow;

    Have you tried X protocol compression like LBX and DXPC?

    Otherwise, any X traffic is going to saturate that poor 28k8 link.
    I've done it sometimes, but it's generally abominable. Transferring
    any bitmap takes gobs of bandwith; if your application works that way
    you're stuck.

    || 2) Xvnc + vncviewer: slow, VNC graphic traffic is slow;

    Yet again. Graphic traffic is what makes it slow.

    || 3) LSTP: not so good for DIAL-UP, strange behaviour of some graphic
    || windows;
    || 4) FreeNX: I got 0.2.5 version for Fedora + NOMACHINES client, but the
    || performance was something like 3), not so good like FreeNX developers
    || say.
    || I know there isn't solution for real-time using like LAN accesses, but
    || I would like to know if there is something like Citrix Metaframe or
    || Windows Terminal Server, that allow great remote access performance
    || for many users. The problem of these are HIGH POWER MACHINE and HIGH COST.

    My guess: it's not going to work over that poor 28k8 link.

    || My enterprise has thought about buy proprietary solutions like Citrix
    || or WTS, but I really would like to try and test (and use, if possible)
    || a free solution...
    || Other more basic question: what's the better GUI for my situation? I
    || think KDE and GNOME are very big for my restrict goal of running only
    || one app, and TWM is very weak and poor interface. Is there something
    || between these?
    || And is it possible to start my application without buttons like Red
    || Hat, shortcuts, desktop area, clock, etc, only to show my app
    || maximized?
    || And to close the GUI after my app is closed, is it possible to
    || configure?

    If you go the X way, you don't want a session (what you call a GUI).
    You just want the application. This can be done using ssh with X
    forwarding and a fixed command to run connected to the login key. If the
    graphic application doesn't let you escape to a shell this will do fine.

    Good luck. Vincent.
    --
    Vincent Zweije | "If you're flamed in a group you
    | don't read, does anybody get burnt?"
    [Xhost should be taken out and shot] | -- Paul Tomblin on a.s.r.

+ Reply to Thread