edit X config for screen sizes in x, kde, ... - X

This is a discussion on edit X config for screen sizes in x, kde, ... - X ; Hello, I have forgotten where or what file I need to edit to put in screen resolutions for X. Years ago on a Red Hat 7.2 I remember adding screen sizes / resolutions in a config file so all I ...

  1. edit X config for screen sizes in x, kde, ...

    Hello, I have forgotten where or what file I need to edit to put in screen
    resolutions for X.

    Years ago on a Red Hat 7.2 I remember adding screen sizes / resolutions in a
    config file so all I had to do was hit ctrl and the + or - to change /
    switch between resolutions. I forget the name of the file and or its
    location. Is there a global config file for X or more so fo any GUI? The
    real trick is that I am having to use a Linux Red Hat 7.3 for work. No
    upgrades to 9 or any other ver. due to what System I am having to develope
    on.

    Chad

  2. Re: edit X config for screen sizes in x, kde, ...

    On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 11:25:20 -0500, Chad staggered into the Black Sun
    and said:
    > Years ago on a Red Hat 7.2 I remember adding screen sizes /
    > resolutions in a config file so all I had to do was hit ctrl and the +
    > or - to change / switch between resolutions.

    It's Ctrl-Alt-(Keypad +) and Ctrl-Alt-(Keypad -) unless you've used
    xbindkeys to bind Ctrl-(Keypad+) to "xvidtune -next" or something. That
    Alt is important....

    > I forget the name of the file and or its location. Is there a global
    > config file for X or more so fo any GUI?

    The X config file has been stored at /etc/X11/XF86Config (or
    /etc/X11/XF86Config-4) for a long time. If you're using Xorg instead of
    XFree86, it's /etc/X11/xorg.conf . Make a copy of the file before you
    edit it, in case you screw up while editing it.

    I don't know what you mean by "any GUI" here. Windows doesn't really
    have a text config file for its GUI. OS X might have one somewhere.
    The X configuration file's location will vary depending on which Unix
    variety you're using and possibly on which X server you're using. The
    information I gave above is correct for Linux distros that were made
    after about 2000. For other Unix varieties, consult your
    vendor-supplied documentation or an appropriate newsfroup.

    > The real trick is that I am having to use a Linux Red Hat 7.3 for
    > work. No upgrades to 9 or any other ver. due to what System I am
    > having to develope on.

    Strange. Well, see above and HTH,

    http://www.brainbench.com / Hire me!