GNOME: cannot add a launcher to a menu - X

This is a discussion on GNOME: cannot add a launcher to a menu - X ; All I want to do is add a game to the Games menu. According to the documentation, supposedly I can add a launcher to a menu on the GNOME desktop. You're told to right-click on any menu item in the ...

  1. GNOME: cannot add a launcher to a menu

    All I want to do is add a game to the Games menu. According to the
    documentation, supposedly I can add a launcher to a menu on the GNOME
    desktop. You're told to right-click on any menu item in the menu, then
    select Entire Menu --> Add new item to this menu.

    Problem is, that option is greyed out.

    I've tried using the file manager to copy'n'paste, and I get this:
    Error while copying to "games:///". The destination disk is read-only.

    *sigh*

    Does anybody know what I gotta change? I've tried changing the
    permissions with the file manager and it won't let me, not with
    superuser permissions, not even as root.

    Any information greatly appreciated.

    -km

    --
    Only cowards fight kids -- unidentified Moscow protester

    proud to be owned by a yorkie

  2. Re: GNOME2: cannot add a launcher to a menu

    the black rose wrote:
    > All I want to do is add a game to the Games menu. According to the
    > documentation, supposedly I can add a launcher to a menu on the GNOME
    > desktop. You're told to right-click on any menu item in the menu, then
    > select Entire Menu --> Add new item to this menu.
    >
    > Problem is, that option is greyed out.
    >
    > I've tried using the file manager to copy'n'paste, and I get this:
    > Error while copying to "games:///". The destination disk is read-only.
    >
    > *sigh*
    >
    > Does anybody know what I gotta change? I've tried changing the
    > permissions with the file manager and it won't let me, not with
    > superuser permissions, not even as root.

    Early versions of Gnome2 don't have any proper support for adding entries to
    the menu, I think you need at least version 2.4 of Gnome2 to be able to add to
    the menu with the default tools.

    I suggest you either upgrade your Gnome2 or do a search for "Gnome2 add menu
    entry" at google, and I think you will find quite many posts about this.

    //Aho

  3. Re: GNOME2: cannot add a launcher to a menu

    J.O. Aho wrote:
    > I suggest you either upgrade your Gnome2 or do a search for "Gnome2 add
    > menu entry" at google, and I think you will find quite many posts about
    > this.

    I'm running gnome 2.6. I'm not sure why you made such an
    assumption.

    I did google on the topic and the only answers I found
    merely repeats the instructions in the documentation.
    That's why I asked here.

    -km

    --
    Only cowards fight kids -- unidentified Moscow protester

    proud to be owned by a yorkie

  4. Re: GNOME2: cannot add a launcher to a menu

    the black rose wrote:
    > J.O. Aho wrote:
    >
    >> I suggest you either upgrade your Gnome2 or do a search for "Gnome2
    >> add menu entry" at google, and I think you will find quite many posts
    >> about this.

    > I'm running gnome 2.6. I'm not sure why you made such an assumption.

    The problem with menu entris in Gnome2 has been there from the first official
    release and has been supposed to been fixed in later versions of Gnome2.

    > I did google on the topic and the only answers I found merely repeats
    > the instructions in the documentation. That's why I asked here.

    Here is one I got on the same search words:
    http://www.bluethingy.com/linux/rh8menu.html

  5. Re: GNOME: cannot add a launcher to a menu

    Linux distributions vary, as do Gnome releases. Providing those items
    of information may help.

    Also, since you refer to the Games menu, I assume you're refering to
    the Programs list and not the Favorites list. Are you?

  6. Re: GNOME: cannot add a launcher to a menu

    Bryan Batten wrote:
    > Linux distributions vary, as do Gnome releases. Providing those items of
    > information may help.
    >
    > Also, since you refer to the Games menu, I assume you're refering to the
    > Programs list and not the Favorites list. Are you?

    Er -- dang, I really didn't mention my distro, did I? *blush*

    Distribution is Fedora Core 2. Gnome 2.6.

    I was referring to the programs list, yes. It shouldn't
    require hours of research to add an item to a desktop menu,
    ferpetesake. It oughtta be drag and drop. Or at worst,
    copy'n'paste.

    Actually, copy'n'paste looks like it's SUPPOSED to work, but
    it's not working.

    -km

    --
    Only cowards fight kids -- unidentified Moscow protester

    proud to be owned by a yorkie

  7. Re: GNOME: cannot add a launcher to a menu

    the black rose wrote:

    > Er -- dang, I really didn't mention my distro, did I? *blush*
    >
    > Distribution is Fedora Core 2. Gnome 2.6.
    >
    > I was referring to the programs list, yes. It shouldn't require hours
    > of research to add an item to a desktop menu, ferpetesake. It oughtta

    You're right. Well, I'm running Debian Woody, and Gnome 1.4 (don't
    laugh), so your mileage may vary, but ...

    The "Programs" list seems to be reserved for applications that install
    themselves. In my distribution, items on the "Programs" list are in
    /usr/share/gnome/apps. Your distribution may or may not use the same
    directory. At any rate, only root can create and delete files in that
    directory. In /usr/share/gnome/apps, there are directories titled
    "Applications", "Development", "Games", and so on. Under each of these
    directories are desktop files (xxx.desktop). So, as root, you can put
    a desktop file for the game program you want under the "Games"
    directory, and you'll see it the next time you expand Programs->Games.

    It is sometimes the case that applications have a desktop file, but
    their installation scripts don't put them there. For example,
    OpenOffice 1.1.0 has a bunch of .desktop files that I had to manually
    copy over. So you might try something like "locate desktop|grep
    "desktop$" to see if you have anything suitable, or close enough to
    use as a template.

    Otherwise, you should be able to use the method you describe to add
    items to the "Favorites" list.

    Luck,

    Bryan

  8. Re: GNOME: cannot add a launcher to a menu

    On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 at 01:19 GMT, the black rose eloquently wrote:
    > Bryan Batten wrote:
    >> Linux distributions vary, as do Gnome releases. Providing those items of
    >> information may help.
    >>
    >> Also, since you refer to the Games menu, I assume you're refering to the
    >> Programs list and not the Favorites list. Are you?

    > Er -- dang, I really didn't mention my distro, did I? *blush*
    >
    > Distribution is Fedora Core 2. Gnome 2.6.

    On FC2, Gnome menus cannot be editted.

    N.Emile...
    --
    Registered Linux User # 125653 (http://counter.li.org) | Please remove
    Certified: 75% bastard, 42% of which is tard. | '.invalid'

  9. Re: GNOME: cannot add a launcher to a menu

    On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 at 12:37 GMT, ne... eloquently wrote:
    > On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 at 01:19 GMT, the black rose eloquently wrote:
    >> Bryan Batten wrote:
    >>> Linux distributions vary, as do Gnome releases. Providing those items of
    >>> information may help.
    >>>
    >>> Also, since you refer to the Games menu, I assume you're refering to the
    >>> Programs list and not the Favorites list. Are you?

    >> Er -- dang, I really didn't mention my distro, did I? *blush*
    >>
    >> Distribution is Fedora Core 2. Gnome 2.6.

    > On FC2, Gnome menus cannot be editted.

    Bad form to follow-up to my own post but anyway...

    The OP may be able to get round the menu editting restriction by creating the
    appropiate .desktop file and putting it in the correct location.

    N.Emile...
    --
    Registered Linux User # 125653 (http://counter.li.org) | Please remove
    Certified: 75% bastard, 42% of which is tard. | '.invalid'
    http://www.thespark.com/bastardtest | to reply.

  10. Re: GNOME: cannot add a launcher to a menu

    ne... wrote:
    > The OP may be able to get round the menu editting restriction by creating the
    > appropiate .desktop file and putting it in the correct location.

    And that location would be ... ? Please tell me more. :-)

    -km

    --
    Only cowards fight kids -- unidentified Moscow protester

    proud to be owned by a yorkie

  11. Re: GNOME: cannot add a launcher to a menu

    the black rose wrote:
    > ne... wrote:
    >
    >> The OP may be able to get round the menu editting restriction by
    >> creating the appropiate .desktop file and putting it in the correct
    >> location.

    > And that location would be ... ? Please tell me more. :-)
    >
    > -km

    I think Fedora is a type of Redhat. If so, you can follow the link in
    Mr. Aho's post,

    http://www.bluethingy.com/linux/rh8menu.html

    There, the XML frontend used in Redhat is described, as well as how it
    relates to *.desktop files. Again, to find *your* desktop files, do
    something like

    locate desktop|grep "desktop$"

    to get a list of all your desktop files.

  12. Re: GNOME: cannot add a launcher to a menu

    Bryan Batten wrote:

    > I think Fedora is a type of Redhat. If so, you can follow the link in
    > Mr. Aho's post,

    Yes, Fedora is RedHat, it's their free (experimental) distro that has changed
    name to Fedora, but still the same guys working on it as the old good days.

    > http://www.bluethingy.com/linux/rh8menu.html

    The description works on none RedHat based distros too, this mostly due the
    difficulty to install Gnome2 into another path than the default ones.

    I guess the easiest way would be include Gnome (pre Gnome2) desktop files, as
    thise are plain text and therefore a lot easier for a human to understand and
    modify.

    //Aho

  13. Re: GNOME: cannot add a launcher to a menu

    J.O. Aho wrote:
    > The description works on none RedHat based distros too, this mostly due
    > the difficulty to install Gnome2 into another path than the default ones.

    Partially. On my Debian woody, with Gnome 1.4, I've found nary a
    mention of anything remotely related to XML files vis. Gnome; just
    *.desktop files. (This may change when Sarge comes out, I guess.)

    Bryan

  14. Re: GNOME: cannot add a launcher to a menu

    Bryan Batten wrote:
    > J.O. Aho wrote:

    >> The description works on none RedHat based distros too, this mostly
    >> due the difficulty to install Gnome2 into another path than the
    >> default ones.

    > Partially. On my Debian woody, with Gnome 1.4, I've found nary a mention
    > of anything remotely related to XML files vis. Gnome; just *.desktop
    > files. (This may change when Sarge comes out, I guess.)

    It's a quite big difference between Gnome and Gnome2, which this thread is
    about, sadly people uses the term Gnome for Gnome2.

    Gnome don't have any major problems, while Gnome2 has a lot of them (heared
    that the devels deleted many thousand bugs from their bugzilla, just to make
    Gnome2 less buggy). Gnome2 uses xml quite a lot, but has kept is backward
    compability toward Gnome .desktop files, otherwise it don't have much common
    with Gnome, more than the name.

    //Aho

  15. Re: GNOME: cannot add a launcher to a menu

    J.O. Aho wrote:
    > Bryan Batten wrote:
    >
    >> I think Fedora is a type of Redhat. If so, you can follow the link in
    >> Mr. Aho's post,

    > Yes, Fedora is RedHat, it's their free (experimental) distro that has
    > changed name to Fedora, but still the same guys working on it as the old
    > good days.
    >
    >> http://www.bluethingy.com/linux/rh8menu.html

    > The description works on none RedHat based distros too, this mostly due
    > the difficulty to install Gnome2 into another path than the default ones.
    >
    > I guess the easiest way would be include Gnome (pre Gnome2) desktop
    > files, as thise are plain text and therefore a lot easier for a human to
    > understand and modify.

    Okay, I figured it out. In the simplest possible terms, to
    add an item to a menu in Gnome2, you have to create a
    ..desktop file for it and put it in the directory with all
    the other .desktop files. In FC2, this appears to be
    /usr/share/applications.

    I seem to have gotten the formatting of the file correct.

    This is a SILLY way of organizing a desktop. The
    pencilpusher who thought it up deserves a huge raspberry.

    -km

    --
    Only cowards fight kids -- unidentified Moscow protester

    proud to be owned by a yorkie

  16. Re: GNOME: cannot add a launcher to a menu

    Bryan Batten writes:
    >http://www.bluethingy.com/linux/rh8menu.html

    I've been trying to add a menu for our local applications to GNOME on
    RH9 as well, but the instructions mentioned above don't seem to work.
    After some googling I found enough documentation to add new items to
    existing menus but I'd really like all our local stuff easily accessible
    under one menu. I've edited /etc/X11/desktop-menus/applications.menu
    to include the new menu by cloning an existing entry and changing the
    strings, created a .directory file in /usr/share/desktop-menu-files
    - again a clone of an existing one with the names changed - and created
    a .desktop file in /usr/share/applications for an application to appear
    on the new menu but GNOME seems to be silently ignoring everything.

    Any ideas what I'm missing? Whose stupid idea was it to replace a
    clean, simple and working directory structure to menu mapping with
    this XML/VFS/whatever nonsense anyway?

    Michael

  17. Re: GNOME: cannot add a launcher to a menu

    Michael F Gordon wrote:

    > Any ideas what I'm missing? Whose stupid idea was it to replace a
    > clean, simple and working directory structure to menu mapping with
    > this XML/VFS/whatever nonsense anyway?
    >

    > Michael

    Hmm. Makes me a bit anxious about the prospect of having to upgrade.
    As of Debian's Gnome 1.4 (part of woody), I find that any directory I
    create (as root) under /usr/share/gnome/apps appears in the Programs
    drop-down. Any directory I create in a subdirectory appears as a
    sub-menu of the corresponding Programs drop-down.

    Have you tried just that in the directory associated with your
    distribution's Program menu? I mean creating an actual directory, not
    a file.

    Bryan

+ Reply to Thread