Logitech Cordless Optical Trackman - X

This is a discussion on Logitech Cordless Optical Trackman - X ; Hi, I have a Logitech Cordless Optical Trackman ( http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/pr...CONTENTID=5006 ) and although the buttons 1&2 and the scrolling work fine (Slackware 10, 2.4.26), the "forward" and "backwards" buttons that would be nice to have for firefox, for example, do ...

  1. Logitech Cordless Optical Trackman

    Hi,

    I have a Logitech Cordless Optical Trackman
    (http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/pr...CONTENTID=5006)

    and although the buttons 1&2 and the scrolling work fine (Slackware 10,
    2.4.26), the "forward" and "backwards" buttons that would be nice to
    have for firefox, for example, do not. My xorg.conf section for the
    trackball look like this:

    Section "InputDevice"
    # Identifier and driver
    Identifier "Mouse1"
    Driver "mouse"
    Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
    Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"
    Option "Buttons" "8"
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    # The mouse device. The device is normally set to /dev/mouse,
    # which is usually a symbolic link to the real device.

    EndSection

    Now, if I run xev, the problem is that if I run xev, I get:

    Left Button: Button 1 (ok)
    Right Button: Button 3 (does what is supposed to)
    Scroll up/down: Button 4/5 (works fine too)
    Scroll Push: Button 2
    Backward/Forward: Button 2/3

    So even though I put a "Buttons" "8" options, it does not recognize all
    the buttons.

    Does anybody has any hints, or even better, a working xorg.conf file for
    this trackball?

    Thanks a lot!
    Carlos

  2. Re: Logitech Cordless Optical Trackman

    > Does anybody has any hints, or even better, a working xorg.conf file for
    > this trackball?

    Ok, I've found about imwheel, and I can see that I could easily assign
    the buttons "left" and "right" to whatever I want, if I can make xev or
    X11 in general recognize them. How do I do that?

    thanks!
    Carlos

  3. Re: Logitech Cordless Optical Trackman

    ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.x.]
    On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 13:51:36 -0400, Carlos staggered into the Black Sun
    and said:
    >> Does anybody has any hints, or even better, a working xorg.conf file
    >> for [the Logitech Cordless Optical] trackball?

    > Ok, I've found about imwheel

    imwheel is an old, mostly useless piece of software now that X knows
    about more mouse protocols. Don't use imwheel. If you need to bind
    arbitrary events to mouse button presses or keystrokes, you need to look
    at xbindkeys and its GUI frontend, gtk-xbindkeys.

    > and I can see that I could easily assign the buttons "left" and
    > "right" to whatever I want, if I can make xev or X11 in general
    > recognize them. How do I do that?

    If some buttons on your mouse don't generate X events that you can see
    with xev, then you probably have the Protocol wrong in your X config
    file. IMPS/2 is the de facto standard for modern mice, but it only
    supports 5 buttons. ExplorerPS/2 allows for more buttons. So: change
    the Protocol line, restart X, see if the mouse works, if not, goto
    beginning of sentence, else finish. HTH,

    http://www.brainbench.com / Hire me!

  4. Re: Logitech Cordless Optical Trackman

    > If some buttons on your mouse don't generate X events that you can see
    > with xev, then you probably have the Protocol wrong in your X config
    > file. IMPS/2 is the de facto standard for modern mice, but it only
    > supports 5 buttons. ExplorerPS/2 allows for more buttons. So: change
    > the Protocol line, restart X, see if the mouse works, if not, goto
    > beginning of sentence, else finish. HTH,

    Thanks. Sounds good. I still liked to know of anybody who has all
    buttons working.

    Cheers,
    Carlos

  5. Re: Logitech Cordless Optical Trackman

    Dances With Crows wrote:
    > ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.x.]
    > On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 13:51:36 -0400, Carlos staggered into the Black Sun
    > and said:
    >
    >>>Does anybody has any hints, or even better, a working xorg.conf file
    >>>for [the Logitech Cordless Optical] trackball?

    >>Ok, I've found about imwheel

    > imwheel is an old, mostly useless piece of software now that X knows
    > about more mouse protocols. Don't use imwheel. If you need to bind
    > arbitrary events to mouse button presses or keystrokes, you need to look
    > at xbindkeys and its GUI frontend, gtk-xbindkeys.
    >

    >>and I can see that I could easily assign the buttons "left" and
    >>"right" to whatever I want, if I can make xev or X11 in general
    >>recognize them. How do I do that?

    > If some buttons on your mouse don't generate X events that you can see
    > with xev, then you probably have the Protocol wrong in your X config
    > file. IMPS/2 is the de facto standard for modern mice, but it only
    > supports 5 buttons. ExplorerPS/2 allows for more buttons. So: change
    > the Protocol line, restart X, see if the mouse works, if not, goto
    > beginning of sentence, else finish. HTH,

    Thanks. Sounds good. I still liked to know of anybody who has all
    buttons working.

    Cheers,
    Carlos

  6. Re: Logitech Cordless Optical Trackman

    Dances With Crows wrote:
    > ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.x.]
    > On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 13:51:36 -0400, Carlos staggered into the Black Sun
    > and said:
    >
    >>>Does anybody has any hints, or even better, a working xorg.conf file
    >>>for [the Logitech Cordless Optical] trackball?

    >>Ok, I've found about imwheel

    > imwheel is an old, mostly useless piece of software now that X knows
    > about more mouse protocols. Don't use imwheel. If you need to bind
    > arbitrary events to mouse button presses or keystrokes, you need to look
    > at xbindkeys and its GUI frontend, gtk-xbindkeys.
    >

    >>and I can see that I could easily assign the buttons "left" and
    >>"right" to whatever I want, if I can make xev or X11 in general
    >>recognize them. How do I do that?

    > If some buttons on your mouse don't generate X events that you can see
    > with xev, then you probably have the Protocol wrong in your X config
    > file. IMPS/2 is the de facto standard for modern mice, but it only
    > supports 5 buttons. ExplorerPS/2 allows for more buttons. So: change
    > the Protocol line, restart X, see if the mouse works, if not, goto
    > beginning of sentence, else finish. HTH,

    Thanks. Sounds good. I still liked to know of anybody who has all
    buttons working.

    Cheers,
    Carlos

+ Reply to Thread