G400, dual head, DRI and XV. - X

This is a discussion on G400, dual head, DRI and XV. - X ; I have connected a monitor to the 2nd. port on my G400, thinking it would be usefull to watch TV and DVD's on while using the computer for other things. But linux 2.6 + framebuffer + G400 + some of ...

  1. G400, dual head, DRI and XV.

    I have connected a monitor to the 2nd. port on my G400, thinking it would be
    usefull to watch TV and DVD's on while using the computer for other things.
    But linux 2.6 + framebuffer + G400 + some of my hardware is really broken
    and won't display anything but trash, so i settled on using X to do the
    dual head stuff instead. I use Debian testing with X86Free 4.3 and the mga
    driver by matrox. Dual head works fine without xinerama and mplayer
    -display :0.1 directs the output to the second monitor, but theres only XV
    support on the first monitor (and my CPU is too slow for software scaling)
    and no DRI on any of them. Is there any way to fix that? Or another way,
    besides X and framebuffer, to get fullscreen video output to my second
    monitor? Another gfx card it not an option, because i'm out of PCI slots.

    --
    Lasse Jensen [fafler at linuxmail dot org]

  2. Re: G400, dual head, DRI and XV.

    On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 21:26:22 +0200, Lasse Jensen staggered into the
    Black Sun and said:
    > I have connected a monitor to the 2nd. port on my G400, thinking it
    > would be usefull to watch TV and DVD's on while using the computer for
    > other things. But linux 2.6 + framebuffer + G400 + some of my
    > hardware is really broken

    The framebuffer has been broken with kernel 2.6 for as long as kernel
    2.6 has existed. Take it up with the kernel guys, hack on the code
    yourself, or just use VGA and X and deal.

    > I use Debian testing with X86Free 4.3 and the mga driver by matrox.
    > Dual head works fine without xinerama and mplayer -display :0.1
    > directs the output to the second monitor, but theres only XV support
    > on the first monitor (and my CPU is too slow for software scaling)

    The man page for mga doesn't say anything about forcing the hardware
    overlay to another screen. Some X servers (radeon for one) have this
    option. Some don't. You can prowl through the X source for mga
    yourself and see if there's an option they left out of the man page--
    these do exist; "RenderColormapMode" is one I remember--but there may
    not be something like that.

    > Or another way, besides X and framebuffer, to get fullscreen video
    > output to my second monitor? Another gfx card it not an option,
    > because i'm out of PCI slots.

    Huh? Just remove whatever's in the AGP slot and put a newer card in,
    surely? OTOH, I'm not sure what video card you could find that supports
    putting the hardware overlay on a secondary head. radeon does with
    OverlayOnCRTC2, mga doesn't, nvidia doesn't (sad, eh?), nv doesn't, r128
    doesn't. If you don't *have* an AGP slot, it's probably long past time
    to upgrade. The cheap x86 motherboard I bought in January 2000 had an
    AGP slot. Oh well, HTH anyway....

    http://www.brainbench.com / Hire me!

  3. Re: G400, dual head, DRI and XV.

    Lasse Jensen wrote:

    > Dual head works fine without xinerama and mplayer
    > -display :0.1 directs the output to the second monitor, but theres only XV
    > support on the first monitor (and my CPU is too slow for software scaling)
    > and no DRI on any of them. Is there any way to fix that?

    For groups.google... mgapdesk removes the Load "dri" line from XF86Config-4,
    putting it back in really helps on the 3D acceleration.

    --
    Lasse Jensen [fafler at linuxmail dot org]

  4. Re: G400, dual head, DRI and XV.

    Dances With Crows wrote:

    > On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 21:26:22 +0200, Lasse Jensen staggered into the
    > Black Sun and said:
    >> I have connected a monitor to the 2nd. port on my G400, thinking it
    >> would be usefull to watch TV and DVD's on while using the computer for
    >> other things. But linux 2.6 + framebuffer + G400 + some of my
    >> hardware is really broken

    > The framebuffer has been broken with kernel 2.6 for as long as kernel
    > 2.6 has existed. Take it up with the kernel guys, hack on the code
    > yourself, or just use VGA and X and deal.

    Well, that just sucks.

    >> I use Debian testing with X86Free 4.3 and the mga driver by matrox.
    >> Dual head works fine without xinerama and mplayer -display :0.1
    >> directs the output to the second monitor, but theres only XV support
    >> on the first monitor (and my CPU is too slow for software scaling)

    > The man page for mga doesn't say anything about forcing the hardware
    > overlay to another screen. Some X servers (radeon for one) have this
    > option. Some don't. You can prowl through the X source for mga
    > yourself and see if there's an option they left out of the man page--
    > these do exist; "RenderColormapMode" is one I remember--but there may
    > not be something like that.

    I'm pretty sure the hardware supports it, so at least it should be possible.

    >> Or another way, besides X and framebuffer, to get fullscreen video
    >> output to my second monitor? Another gfx card it not an option,
    >> because i'm out of PCI slots.

    > Huh? Just remove whatever's in the AGP slot and put a newer card in,
    > surely? OTOH, I'm not sure what video card you could find that supports
    > putting the hardware overlay on a secondary head. radeon does with
    > OverlayOnCRTC2, mga doesn't, nvidia doesn't (sad, eh?), nv doesn't, r128
    > doesn't. If you don't *have* an AGP slot, it's probably long past time
    > to upgrade. The cheap x86 motherboard I bought in January 2000 had an
    > AGP slot. Oh well, HTH anyway....

    Well, the G400 is already using the AGP slot. I don't want to change to
    another gfx card, because i use a rainbow runner tuner/hardware MJPEG card
    that only works with the G400. I was thinking of putting a extra PCI gfx
    card in it and using it for the second monitor, but theres no room.

    --
    Lasse Jensen [fafler at linuxmail dot org]

+ Reply to Thread