Hi,

I'm still using xfree86 3.3.6 on an older machine and I have a couple of
naive questions about type 1 rendering in xfree86 3.3.6. The questions
are: (1) what is responsible for the type 1 rendering in xfree86 3.3.6 and
(2) how good is it considered to be?

I ask because I've noticed that xfontsel has problems with displaying a
couple of the free URW ghostscript fonts (which are clones of the standard
35 Postscript fonts). Specifically, xfontsel fails to display any of the
glyphs for the ZapfDingbats clone and it shows only some of the glyphs for
the Symbol clone.

This alone wouldn't be so bad but this problem seems to be inherited by
the word processor Ted if one sets it up to use the ghostscript fonts. In
particular, the font selection in Ted can't display any of the glyphs of
the ZapfDingbats clone and has trouble with some of the glyphs of the
Symbol clone.

None of this seems to be a problem on a recent version of xfree86 or xorg.

Thank you,
Christopher Pinon