switching between resolutions: laptop and external - X

This is a discussion on switching between resolutions: laptop and external - X ; Hi, I have an IBM laptop t42p which has a screen resolution of 1400x1000 and I have an external 20 inch LCD which has a resolution of 1600x1200. I have fedora core 2 on my laptop which uses xorg instead ...

  1. switching between resolutions: laptop and external

    Hi,
    I have an IBM laptop t42p which has a screen resolution of 1400x1000
    and I have an external 20 inch LCD which has a resolution of 1600x1200.
    I have fedora core 2 on my laptop which uses xorg instead of xfree86.
    I bring my laptop to work each day and then put it in the portreplicator
    and at the end of the day i take my laptop home.
    Problem is that I have to manually change the resolution when I remove
    my laptop from the port replicator.

    I expect that this might be a common problem for many people out there and
    was wondering if there is a simpler (mouse click or single command ) way
    to automatically switch resolutions.
    thanks

  2. Re: switching between resolutions: laptop and external

    You can setup your machine to start with 2 instances of X server so
    that each instance has different resolution. You just switch
    different virtual console. This is my setup:
    :0 local@tty1 /usr/X11R6/bin/X -nolisten tcp vt7
    :1 local@tty2 /usr/X11R6/bin/X -nolisten tcp :1 vt8 -xf86config
    XF86Config-4.RageMobility-1600

    [Alt][Ctrl][F7] has 1024x768 (laptop internal screen)
    [Alt][Ctrl][F8] has 1600x1200 (external monitor)

    Christoff Pale (christoff_pale@yahoo.com) wrote:
    : Hi,
    : I have an IBM laptop t42p which has a screen resolution of 1400x1000
    : and I have an external 20 inch LCD which has a resolution of 1600x1200.
    : I have fedora core 2 on my laptop which uses xorg instead of xfree86.
    : I bring my laptop to work each day and then put it in the portreplicator
    : and at the end of the day i take my laptop home.
    : Problem is that I have to manually change the resolution when I remove
    : my laptop from the port replicator.

    : I expect that this might be a common problem for many people out there and
    : was wondering if there is a simpler (mouse click or single command ) way
    : to automatically switch resolutions.
    : thanks

  3. Re: switching between resolutions: laptop and external

    Hi Alex,
    thanks. I would need some more information on how to do this.
    Currently I use "startx" after I log in.
    so here are my questions:
    1) I think I need an additional XF86Config file for the external monitor
    with the 1600x1200 resolution, right? Suppose I call it XF86Config.1600
    2) where do I put these commands so that all I have to do is startx and
    the two instances of X will be started?
    > :0 local@tty1 /usr/X11R6/bin/X -nolisten tcp vt7
    > :1 local@tty2 /usr/X11R6/bin/X -nolisten tcp :1 vt8 -xf86config XF86Config-4.RageMobility-1600

    3( can you also post your XF86Config-4.RageMobility-1600 file
    so that I can adapt to my problem?

    thanks

    alyung@lucent.com (Alex Yung) wrote in message news:...
    > You can setup your machine to start with 2 instances of X server so
    > that each instance has different resolution. You just switch
    > different virtual console. This is my setup:
    > :0 local@tty1 /usr/X11R6/bin/X -nolisten tcp vt7
    > :1 local@tty2 /usr/X11R6/bin/X -nolisten tcp :1 vt8 -xf86config
    > XF86Config-4.RageMobility-1600
    >
    > [Alt][Ctrl][F7] has 1024x768 (laptop internal screen)
    > [Alt][Ctrl][F8] has 1600x1200 (external monitor)
    >
    > Christoff Pale (christoff_pale@yahoo.com) wrote:
    > : Hi,
    > : I have an IBM laptop t42p which has a screen resolution of 1400x1000
    > : and I have an external 20 inch LCD which has a resolution of 1600x1200.
    > : I have fedora core 2 on my laptop which uses xorg instead of xfree86.
    > : I bring my laptop to work each day and then put it in the portreplicator
    > : and at the end of the day i take my laptop home.
    > : Problem is that I have to manually change the resolution when I remove
    > : my laptop from the port replicator.
    >
    > : I expect that this might be a common problem for many people out there and
    > : was wondering if there is a simpler (mouse click or single command ) way
    > : to automatically switch resolutions.
    > : thanks

  4. Re: switching between resolutions: laptop and external

    Hi,
    thanks for your reply.
    Can you please tell me more about how I can do this?
    When you say "This is my setup" I don't understand how
    you set this up. Did you put this in your startx?
    if you can show me how to do this in a simpler way I would
    really be grateful.
    Christoff
    alyung@lucent.com (Alex Yung) wrote in message news:...
    > You can setup your machine to start with 2 instances of X server so
    > that each instance has different resolution. You just switch
    > different virtual console. This is my setup:
    > :0 local@tty1 /usr/X11R6/bin/X -nolisten tcp vt7
    > :1 local@tty2 /usr/X11R6/bin/X -nolisten tcp :1 vt8 -xf86config
    > XF86Config-4.RageMobility-1600
    >
    > [Alt][Ctrl][F7] has 1024x768 (laptop internal screen)
    > [Alt][Ctrl][F8] has 1600x1200 (external monitor)
    >
    > Christoff Pale (christoff_pale@yahoo.com) wrote:
    > : Hi,
    > : I have an IBM laptop t42p which has a screen resolution of 1400x1000
    > : and I have an external 20 inch LCD which has a resolution of 1600x1200.
    > : I have fedora core 2 on my laptop which uses xorg instead of xfree86.
    > : I bring my laptop to work each day and then put it in the portreplicator
    > : and at the end of the day i take my laptop home.
    > : Problem is that I have to manually change the resolution when I remove
    > : my laptop from the port replicator.
    >
    > : I expect that this might be a common problem for many people out there and
    > : was wondering if there is a simpler (mouse click or single command ) way
    > : to automatically switch resolutions.
    > : thanks

+ Reply to Thread