Redhat 9 on a Digital Celebris w/ onboard S3 Virge dx/gx - X

This is a discussion on Redhat 9 on a Digital Celebris w/ onboard S3 Virge dx/gx - X ; Helo! I installed redhat 9 on a 1997 vintage Digital Celebris (a p166, 64 megs, onboard nic, sound and vid). It probed the vid as a Generic S3 Virge. X starts but has many verticle, waving lines and the mouse ...

  1. Redhat 9 on a Digital Celebris w/ onboard S3 Virge dx/gx

    Helo!

    I installed redhat 9 on a 1997 vintage Digital Celebris (a p166, 64
    megs, onboard nic, sound and vid).

    It probed the vid as a Generic S3 Virge.

    X starts but has many verticle, waving lines and the mouse turns into
    a black square that obliterates its background when moved. It probed
    the monitor correctly so the monitor settings should be fine. I
    changed the x config to be a generic S3 Virge DX and GX w/ the same
    results.

    When X is exited back to text the screen is divided in two, like
    displaying the same thing (but running of the screen) on the right as
    it does on the left and doesn't seem to refresh properly.

    My eventual goal in this project is to pull the hard drives on about
    200 of these and have them etherboot a pxes thin client image.

    I had one booting a thinstation image that had the same X symptoms.

    Any pointers on how I can X running properly on this, or
    troubleshooting tips?

    Its reinstalling now or Id forward along the x config file.

    I'll do so when it's done. Any other info I can provide on this?

    TIA,
    Rusty

  2. Re: Redhat 9 on a Digital Celebris w/ onboard S3 Virge dx/gx

    On 14 Oct 2004 17:26:51 -0700, Rusty staggered into the Black Sun and
    said:
    > Helo!

    250 samantha.crow202.dyndns.org

    > I installed redhat 9 on a 1997 vintage Digital Celebris (a p166, 64
    > megs, onboard nic, sound and vid). It probed the vid as a Generic S3
    > Virge. X starts but has many verticle, waving lines and the mouse
    > turns into a black square that obliterates its background when moved.

    Redhat 9 (which is now obsolete and nearing EOL) included X 4.2 or 4.3.
    X 4.n doesn't deal well with some really old S3 video cards. The mouse
    cursor problem should be solvable with the line

    Option "SWCursor" "on"

    ....and you should read the man page for s3virge to see all the other
    options you can put in for working around the many bugs that s3 video
    cards have. Some people have found that with really old s3 video cards,
    the only option is to install and use X 3.3.6, though the "s3" X server
    should work better than the s3virge one for these old cards.

    > Any pointers on how I can X running properly on this

    Proofread your message carefully to see if you any words out.

    > Its reinstalling now or Id forward along the x config file.

    Sending two apostrophes along; check your ' key to make sure it's
    working. The XF86Config file would help; put it and the output of
    "lspci | grep VGA" up on your webspace and post the URL in a followup.

    http://www.brainbench.com / Hire me!

  3. Re: Redhat 9 on a Digital Celebris w/ onboard S3 Virge dx/gx

    Dances,

    I proffer many thanks for the help/input!

    My apologies for my poor punctuation and grammer.

    I have posted the XF86Config and the output from the "lspci | grep
    VGA" command at http://65.113.19.12.

    I added the line...

    Option "SWCursor" "on"

    ....to the input device mouse0 section of the config but it didn't
    resolve anything.

    Thanks again,
    Rusty

    Dances With Crows wrote in message news:...
    > On 14 Oct 2004 17:26:51 -0700, Rusty staggered into the Black Sun and
    > said:
    > > Helo!

    > 250 samantha.crow202.dyndns.org
    >
    > > I installed redhat 9 on a 1997 vintage Digital Celebris (a p166, 64
    > > megs, onboard nic, sound and vid). It probed the vid as a Generic S3
    > > Virge. X starts but has many verticle, waving lines and the mouse
    > > turns into a black square that obliterates its background when moved.

    > Redhat 9 (which is now obsolete and nearing EOL) included X 4.2 or 4.3.
    > X 4.n doesn't deal well with some really old S3 video cards. The mouse
    > cursor problem should be solvable with the line
    >

    > ...and you should read the man page for s3virge to see all the other
    > options you can put in for working around the many bugs that s3 video
    > cards have. Some people have found that with really old s3 video cards,
    > the only option is to install and use X 3.3.6, though the "s3" X server
    > should work better than the s3virge one for these old cards.
    >
    > > Any pointers on how I can X running properly on this

    > Proofread your message carefully to see if you any words out.
    >
    > > Its reinstalling now or Id forward along the x config file.

    > Sending two apostrophes along; check your ' key to make sure it's
    > working. The XF86Config file would help; put it and the output of
    > "lspci | grep VGA" up on your webspace and post the URL in a followup.

  4. Re: Redhat 9 on a Digital Celebris w/ onboard S3 Virge dx/gx

    On 19 Oct 2004 12:00:31 -0700, Rusty staggered into the Black Sun and
    said:

    Please don't top-post. Message rearranged for easier reading
    comprehension.

    > Dances With Crows wrote in message
    >> On 14 Oct 2004 17:26:51 -0700, Rusty staggered into the Black Sun and
    >> said:
    >> > I installed redhat 9 on a 1997 vintage Digital Celebris (a p166, 64
    >> > megs, onboard nic, sound and vid). It probed the vid as a Generic
    >> > S3 Virge. X starts but has many verticle, waving lines and the
    >> > mouse turns into a black square that obliterates its background
    >> > when moved.

    >> Some people have found that with really old s3 video cards, the only
    >> option is to install and use X 3.3.6, though the "s3" X server should
    >> work better than the s3virge one for these old cards.

    >> > Its reinstalling now or Id forward along the x config file.

    >> The XF86Config file would help; put it and the output of "lspci |
    >> grep VGA" up on your webspace and post the URL in a

    > I proffer many thanks for the help/input! My apologies for my poor
    > punctuation and grammer.

    Hm. Are you in .de? Non-native speakers get a free pass on speling
    since English spelling is so deranged, but there weren't any of the
    normal English-as-a-second-language errors in your original post....

    > I have posted the XF86Config and the output from the "lspci | grep
    > VGA" command at http://65.113.19.12.

    00:09.0 VGA compatible controller: S3 Inc. ViRGE/DX or /GX (rev 01)

    ....so s3virge is probably the right X server to use. Check the man page
    for s3virge; the line
    Option "slow_edodram" "on"
    may help. Or you may need the NoAccel option. There are a lot of
    options to try in the s3virge X server because the chipset had many
    iterations and many of them sucked.

    > I added the line...
    > Option "SWCursor" "on"
    > ...to the input device mouse0 section of the config but it didn't
    > resolve anything.

    Nope. That line goes in the Device section, since it's a video-card
    option. I thought that was clear. All the Option lines described in
    the man page for s3virge go in the Device section, the one where you
    have Driver "s3virge" right now. HTH,

    http://www.brainbench.com / Hire me!

  5. Re: Redhat 9 on a Digital Celebris w/ onboard S3 Virge dx/gx

    Dances With Crows wrote in message news:...
    > On 19 Oct 2004 12:00:31 -0700, Rusty staggered into the Black Sun and
    > said:
    >
    > Please don't top-post. Message rearranged for easier reading
    > comprehension.
    >
    > > Dances With Crows wrote in message
    > >> Some people have found that with really old s3 video cards, the only
    > >> option is to install and use X 3.3.6, though the "s3" X server should
    > >> work better than the s3virge one for these old cards.

    > >> The XF86Config file would help; put it and the output of "lspci |
    > >> grep VGA" up on your webspace and post the URL in a

    > > I proffer many thanks for the help/input! My apologies for my poor
    > > punctuation and grammer.

    > Hm. Are you in .de? Non-native speakers get a free pass on speling
    > since English spelling is so deranged, but there weren't any of the
    > normal English-as-a-second-language errors in your original post....
    >
    > > I have posted the XF86Config and the output from the "lspci | grep
    > > VGA" command at http://65.113.19.12.

    > 00:09.0 VGA compatible controller: S3 Inc. ViRGE/DX or /GX (rev 01)
    >
    > ...so s3virge is probably the right X server to use. Check the man page
    > for s3virge; the line
    > Option "slow_edodram" "on"
    > may help. Or you may need the NoAccel option. There are a lot of
    > options to try in the s3virge X server because the chipset had many
    > iterations and many of them sucked.
    >
    > > I added the line...
    > > Option "SWCursor" "on"
    > > ...to the input device mouse0 section of the config but it didn't
    > > resolve anything.

    > Nope. That line goes in the Device section, since it's a video-card
    > option. I thought that was clear. All the Option lines described in
    > the man page for s3virge go in the Device section, the one where you
    > have Driver "s3virge" right now. HTH,

    Unfortunately it has become a moot point. There are no Etherboot
    images that work with this particular NIC (at least not without
    spending a gazillion hours trying to get it to work).

    Also, in your original response you included the phrase "..really old
    S3 Virge...".

    The word "really" means verifable. Only in colloquial use does it
    magnify the adjective. The preference would be to simply use "older S3
    Virge" as it is more correct and less wordy.

    But in all seriousness, many thanks again! I have the feeling that if
    these Celebris computers were either 6 months older or 6 months newer
    then this little experiment would have been a breeze.

+ Reply to Thread