Re: Future of GNOME - X

This is a discussion on Re: Future of GNOME - X ; A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, Jennifer Smith wrote: > I don't get all the fuss about it. Use Dropline Gnome and be done with it. > Personally I'd say drop KDE too. If people want ...

  1. Re: Future of GNOME

    A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, Jennifer Smith wrote:
    > I don't get all the fuss about it. Use Dropline Gnome and be done with it.
    > Personally I'd say drop KDE too. If people want either WM they can get
    > Gnome via Dropline, and KDE via Konstruct.

    Neither Gnome nor KDE are window managers.

    They are correctly characterized either as:

    a) Application frameworks, or
    b) Applications created using those frameworks.
    --
    select 'cbbrowne' || '@' || 'acm.org';
    http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/x.html

  2. Re: Future of GNOME

    Christopher Browne wrote in message news:<2t62t4F1qq8ecU4@uni-berlin.de>...
    > A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, Jennifer Smith wrote:
    > > I don't get all the fuss about it. Use Dropline Gnome and be done with it.
    > > Personally I'd say drop KDE too. If people want either WM they can get
    > > Gnome via Dropline, and KDE via Konstruct.

    > Neither Gnome nor KDE are window managers.
    >
    > They are correctly characterized either as:
    >
    > a) Application frameworks, or
    > b) Applications created using those frameworks.

    "Application frameworks". "Applications created using those
    frameworks" are Gnome/KDE applications.

    Maybe the annoying confusion around the term "window manager" stems
    from the fact many so-called WM's provide functionalities that have
    little or nothing to do with window management?

+ Reply to Thread