Cross compiling X using CROSSCOMPILEDIR - X

This is a discussion on Cross compiling X using CROSSCOMPILEDIR - X ; I'm trying to cross compile X11 using the "new"scheme" using a Red Hat 7.3 X86 host and a PowerPC target. I've tried X11R6.8.1 from x.org and 4.3.0 from xfree86.org and the result is the same. make World CROSSCOMPILEDIR=/pathtomyppc/bin 2>&1 | ...

  1. Cross compiling X using CROSSCOMPILEDIR

    I'm trying to cross compile X11 using the "new"scheme" using a Red Hat
    7.3 X86 host and a PowerPC target. I've tried X11R6.8.1 from x.org and
    4.3.0 from xfree86.org and the result is the same.

    make World CROSSCOMPILEDIR=/pathtomyppc/bin 2>&1 | tee World.log

    This results is the following

    cd ./config/imake && make -f Makefile.ini BOOTSTRAPCFLAGS=
    CC="cc"clean
    make[1]: Entering directory `/mysourcepath/build/config/imake'
    rm -f ccimake imake.o imake
    rm -f *.CKP *.ln *.BAK *.bak *.o core errs ,* *~*.a tags TAGS
    make.log \#*
    rm -f -r Makefile.proto Makefile Makefile.dep bootstrap
    rm -f imakemdep_cpp.h
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/mysourcepath/build/config/imake'
    make Makefile.boot
    make[1]: Entering directory `/mysourcepath/build'
    cd ./config/imake && make -w -f Makefile.ini BOOTSTRAPCFLAGS=
    CC="cc"
    make[2]: Entering directory `/mysourcepath/build/config/imake'
    making imake with BOOTSTRAPCFLAGS= and
    CROSSCOMPILEFLAGS=-DCROSSCOMPILEDIR="/pathtomyppc/bin"in
    config/imake
    cc -o ccimake -DCROSSCOMPILEDIR=\"/pathtomyppc/bin\" -O
    -I../../include -I../../imports/x11/include/X11 ccimake.c
    if [ -n "/pathtomyppc/bin"] ; then \
    /pathtomyppc/bin/cc -E `./ccimake`\
    -DCROSSCOMPILE_CPP imakemdep.h > imakemdep_cpp.h; \
    else touch imakemdep_cpp.h; fi
    /bin/sh: /pathtomyppc/bin/cc: No such file or directory
    make[2]: *** [imakemdep_cpp.h] Error 127
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/mysourcepath/build/config/imake'
    make[1]: *** [imake.proto] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/mysourcepath/build'
    make: *** [World] Error 2

    Now the problem is that my cross compiled is not called "cc"but
    "ppc_82xx-cpp". I tried to set CC=ppc_82xx-cpp when calling make and
    also tried to modify build/config/imake/Makefile.ini but this seems to
    result in a PowerPC bootstrap rather than a X86 bootstrap (so it can't
    execute the binary).

    I can of of course make symbolic links from ppc_82xx-cpp to cc, but I
    feel that this *should* work.

    1) Is this a bug in the bootstrap makefile, if not, how do I make ut
    use
    ppc_82xx-cpp and the local gcc for bootstrap? BTW I have

    #define CcCmd ppc_82xx-gcc and
    #define HostCcCmd cc in cross.def

    2) Where can I find documentation on this new method of cross
    compilation? I've seen some references to a document called
    ccimake.pdf (or something like that) when searching on Google, but
    the link is broken.

    3) Also when compiling x.org X11R6.8.1 I always get:

    xmlconfig.c:34:19: expat.h: No such file or directory
    xmlconfig.c:135: parse error before '*'token

    Any clues?

    TIA
    Petter

    --
    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

  2. Re: Cross compiling X using CROSSCOMPILEDIR

    Petter Gustad wrote:
    > I'm trying to cross compile X11 using the "new"scheme" using a Red Hat
    > 7.3 X86 host and a PowerPC target. I've tried X11R6.8.1 from x.org and
    > 4.3.0 from xfree86.org and the result is the same.

    The esiest way I know is to use distccd, all you need it the crosscompiler on
    the X86 machine, and start the distccd daemon, compile the source from the ppc
    machine and tell it to use distccd and you will have both the PPC and X86
    working together on the same compile (parallel build).

    //Aho

  3. Re: Cross compiling X using CROSSCOMPILEDIR

    "J.O. Aho" writes:

    > Petter Gustad wrote:
    > > I'm trying to cross compile X11 using the "new"scheme" using a Red Hat
    > > 7.3 X86 host and a PowerPC target. I've tried X11R6.8.1 from x.org and
    > > 4.3.0 from xfree86.org and the result is the same.

    > The esiest way I know is to use distccd, all you need it the
    > crosscompiler on the X86 machine, and start the distccd daemon,
    > compile the source from the ppc machine and tell it to use distccd and
    > you will have both the PPC and X86 working together on the same
    > compile (parallel build).

    Thank you for your reply. I don't want to compile anything on the PPC
    machine. I just want to cross compile.

    Petter
    --
    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.