Position of windows on Fedora - X

This is a discussion on Position of windows on Fedora - X ; How can I find the size and position of a window in Fedora Core 2? When I was using fvwm I could get this information easily but I have not been able to find a way of doing with the ...

  1. Position of windows on Fedora

    How can I find the size and position of a window in
    Fedora Core 2?

    When I was using fvwm I could get this information easily but
    I have not been able to find a way of doing with the window
    manager in Fedora Core 2.

  2. Re: Position of windows on Fedora

    Jack Frillman wrote:

    > How can I find the size and position of a window in
    > Fedora Core 2?
    >
    > When I was using fvwm I could get this information easily but
    > I have not been able to find a way of doing with the window
    > manager in Fedora Core 2.

    MetaCity which is the name of the window manager used by Gnome2 don't support
    this, it's designed to be simple/featureless/slow, I do suggest you install
    another window manager that is better suted for work as window manager.

    Due the way Gnome2 is coded, there will be a really big problem to make it to
    use another window maker, so you will have quite a lot of troubles, so you
    need to take a look at this link:
    http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome.../msg00030.html

    //Aho

  3. Re: Position of windows on Fedora

    In article <4166f0b5$0$68237$9a6e19ea@news.newshosting.com> (Fri, 08 Oct
    2004 15:55:16 -0400), Jack Frillman wrote:

    > How can I find the size and position of a window in
    > Fedora Core 2?

    It's not FC2 that's the issue, it's the window manager you use.

  4. Re: Position of windows on Fedora

    In my old RH 7.3 I was able to get the window position indirectly by
    running a command, which I have now forgotten, and by clicking
    on the window and it's position would be displayed.

    I am trying to find what thet command is.

    J.O. Aho wrote:
    > Jack Frillman wrote:
    >

    >> How can I find the size and position of a window in
    >> Fedora Core 2?
    >>
    >> When I was using fvwm I could get this information easily but
    >> I have not been able to find a way of doing with the window
    >> manager in Fedora Core 2.

    > MetaCity which is the name of the window manager used by Gnome2 don't
    > support this, it's designed to be simple/featureless/slow, I do suggest
    > you install another window manager that is better suted for work as
    > window manager.
    >
    > Due the way Gnome2 is coded, there will be a really big problem to make
    > it to use another window maker, so you will have quite a lot of
    > troubles, so you need to take a look at this link:
    > http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome.../msg00030.html
    >

    > //Aho

  5. Re: Position of windows on Fedora

    On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 23:29:45 -0400, Jack Frillman wrote:
    > In my old RH 7.3 I was able to get the window position indirectly by
    > running a command, which I have now forgotten, and by clicking
    > on the window and it's position would be displayed.

    You can use xev which creates a window that you can drag around
    to get values, if no one else has a solution.

  6. Re: Position of windows on Fedora

    Jack Frillman writes:

    > In my old RH 7.3 I was able to get the window position indirectly by running a
    > command, which I have now forgotten, and by clicking
    > on the window and it's position would be displayed.
    >
    > I am trying to find what thet command is.

    xwininfo

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email: mrmnews@the-meissners.org

  7. Re: Position of windows on Fedora

    On Sat, 09 Oct 2004 08:35:03 -0400, Michael Meissner wrote:

    > Jack Frillman writes:
    >
    >> In my old RH 7.3 I was able to get the window position indirectly by running a
    >> command, which I have now forgotten, and by clicking
    >> on the window and it's position would be displayed.
    >>
    >> I am trying to find what thet command is.
    >>

    > xwininfo

    That would be the one I was looking for.
    Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread