adjusting the horizontal - X

This is a discussion on adjusting the horizontal - X ; I don't know the technical jargon, so please forgive me if I'm not clear. X runs fine on my computer. The only problem is that the display is shifted to the right, so I've got a black border on the ...

  1. adjusting the horizontal

    I don't know the technical jargon, so please forgive me if I'm not clear.

    X runs fine on my computer. The only problem is that the display is
    shifted to the right, so I've got a black border on the left of my
    screen, and my mouse pointer can go off the visible portion to the
    right. Does that make sense? I need to adjust everything horizontally
    to the left.

    I *could* do this with the monitor controls, but it's a dual-boot
    machine, and the other operating system would boot up with the display
    shifted the other way.

    I played around with Linux and X 10 years ago, and there was a way to
    adjust the horizontal (and the vertical) in some config file or another.
    Is that still possible?

    Thanks in advance for any information.

    -km

  2. Re: adjusting the horizontal

    On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 13:57:58 GMT, the black rose staggered into the
    Black Sun and said:
    > X runs fine on my computer. The only problem is that the display is
    > shifted to the right, so I've got a black border on the left of my
    > screen, and my mouse pointer can go off the visible portion to the
    > right.
    >
    > I *could* adjust this with the monitor controls, but it's a dual-boot
    > machine, and the other operating system would boot up with the display
    > shifted the other way.

    Not necessarily. Most monitors store several different settings for
    these controls and use the sync rates to determine which settings to
    use. Unless both OSes are using the exact same sync rates, the monitor
    will be able to select different settings.

    > I played around with Linux and X 10 years ago, and there was a way to
    > adjust the horizontal (and the vertical) in some config file or
    > another. Is that still possible?

    Of course not. They totally removed the Modelines section from
    /etc/X11/XF86Config [0], and xvidtune no longer exists. Anyone who
    suggests otherwise is a counterrevolutionary, a capitalist running dog
    pawn of the oppressor class, a filthy Communist pagan, a terrorist, and
    probably a Windows user!

    [0] Since X got better EDID-reading capabilities with X 4.0, the
    Modelines section is not present in most auto-generated X config files.
    No problem, you can generate one yourself. Like so:

    Section "Modes"
    Identifier "Modes[0]"
    Modeline "my400x300" 21.84 400 424 488 544 300 304 308 324 -hsync
    -vsync Doublescan
    EndSection

    ....then put the "my400x300" in the Modes line of your "Screen" section.
    When you run xvidtune from the command line, after you've used the
    buttons and sliders to adjust the screen to your liking, when you quit,
    xvidtune will spit out a Modeline. Paste that modeline into the Modes
    section of your XF86Config, edit the Screen section, restart X,
    everything should work. HTH,

    http://www.brainbench.com / Hire me!

  3. Re: adjusting the horizontal

    Dances With Crows wrote:
    > Of course not. They totally removed the Modelines section from
    > /etc/X11/XF86Config [0], and xvidtune no longer exists. Anyone who
    > suggests otherwise is a counterrevolutionary, a capitalist running dog
    > pawn of the oppressor class, a filthy Communist pagan, a terrorist, and
    > probably a Windows user!

    Hmm, can't have that. Therefore, I did not find xvidtune and did not
    use it to tweak my X settings. It did fail to spit out a modeline for
    me, but that didn't seem to be necessary.

    Especially since none of this really happened, and I'm not really here.

    :-D

    -km

+ Reply to Thread