LCD monitor goes to sleep when it shouldn't. - X

This is a discussion on LCD monitor goes to sleep when it shouldn't. - X ; I have two Compaq Deskpro PCs. Hardware identical. (P3-500) Both are connected via an Omniview KVM switch to a Compaq 1825 LCD Monitor. The first PC is running SuSE 9.1 Pro. The Second is running NT4.0. On the SuSE machine, ...

  1. LCD monitor goes to sleep when it shouldn't.

    I have two Compaq Deskpro PCs. Hardware identical. (P3-500) Both are
    connected via an Omniview KVM switch to a Compaq 1825 LCD Monitor.

    The first PC is running SuSE 9.1 Pro. The Second is running NT4.0.

    On the SuSE machine, the monitor is always going into low power mode
    (goes blank) even when it shouldn't. The only way to "wake it up" is to
    power cycle it.

    The monitor behaves perfectly on the NT machine.

    Back to the SuSE machine....

    If the machine is idle, the X screen saver will kick in like it should.
    Then after a time, the monitor will go to low power mode. (go black).
    Mouse movement, keyboard activity, will not "wake up" the monitor. If I
    power cycle the monitor, the screensaver will have gone away, and
    everything will work properly.

    Even if I'm working along, the screen will go black.

    I thought that maybe the KVM wasn't being nice. So while the NT machine
    is off being re-imaged. I connected the Keyboard, Video, and Mouse
    directly to my PC, and I get the same behavior.

    Another oddity. The monitor has a menu button on it, and it doesn't work
    while I'm using Linux. But does work while I'm on NT.

    Very confusing...

  2. Re: LCD monitor goes to sleep when it shouldn't.

    Lyndon Bartels wrote in message news:<4163f57c$0$432$7f8943f3@newsreader.visi.com>...
    > I have two Compaq Deskpro PCs. Hardware identical. (P3-500) Both are
    > connected via an Omniview KVM switch to a Compaq 1825 LCD Monitor.
    >
    > The first PC is running SuSE 9.1 Pro. The Second is running NT4.0.
    >
    > On the SuSE machine, the monitor is always going into low power mode
    > (goes blank) even when it shouldn't. The only way to "wake it up" is to
    > power cycle it.
    >
    > The monitor behaves perfectly on the NT machine.
    >
    > Back to the SuSE machine....
    >
    > If the machine is idle, the X screen saver will kick in like it should.
    > Then after a time, the monitor will go to low power mode. (go black).
    > Mouse movement, keyboard activity, will not "wake up" the monitor. If I
    > power cycle the monitor, the screensaver will have gone away, and
    > everything will work properly.
    >
    > Even if I'm working along, the screen will go black.
    >
    > I thought that maybe the KVM wasn't being nice. So while the NT machine
    > is off being re-imaged. I connected the Keyboard, Video, and Mouse
    > directly to my PC, and I get the same behavior.
    >
    > Another oddity. The monitor has a menu button on it, and it doesn't work
    > while I'm using Linux. But does work while I'm on NT.
    >
    > Very confusing...

    What about the BIOS settings. There's often an option to override the
    low-power mode?

  3. Re: LCD monitor goes to sleep when it shouldn't.

    ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.x.]
    On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 08:38:58 -0500, Lyndon Bartels :
    > I have two Compaq Deskpro PCs. Hardware identical. (P3-500) Both are
    > connected via an Omniview KVM switch to a Compaq 1825 LCD Monitor.
    >
    > The first PC is running SuSE 9.1 Pro. The Second is running NT4.0.
    >
    > On the SuSE machine, the monitor is always going into low power mode
    > (goes blank) even when it shouldn't. The only way to "wake it up" is to
    > power cycle it.

    You might try fiddling with apm/acpi kernel module options. Tell it
    to leave your display power alone.

    (*) http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling Linux Counter #80292
    - - http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1855.txt
    Spammers! http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling/autospam.html

  4. Re: LCD monitor goes to sleep when it shouldn't.

    Lyndon Bartels wrote:
    > I have two Compaq Deskpro PCs. Hardware identical. (P3-500) Both are
    > connected via an Omniview KVM switch to a Compaq 1825 LCD Monitor.
    >
    > The first PC is running SuSE 9.1 Pro. The Second is running NT4.0.
    >
    > On the SuSE machine, the monitor is always going into low power mode
    > (goes blank) even when it shouldn't. The only way to "wake it up" is to
    > power cycle it.
    >
    > The monitor behaves perfectly on the NT machine.
    >
    > Back to the SuSE machine....
    >
    > If the machine is idle, the X screen saver will kick in like it should.
    > Then after a time, the monitor will go to low power mode. (go black).
    > Mouse movement, keyboard activity, will not "wake up" the monitor. If I
    > power cycle the monitor, the screensaver will have gone away, and
    > everything will work properly.
    >
    > Even if I'm working along, the screen will go black.
    >
    > I thought that maybe the KVM wasn't being nice. So while the NT machine
    > is off being re-imaged. I connected the Keyboard, Video, and Mouse
    > directly to my PC, and I get the same behavior.
    >
    > Another oddity. The monitor has a menu button on it, and it doesn't work
    > while I'm using Linux. But does work while I'm on NT.
    >
    > Very confusing...

    Another tidbit of information.

    Both PCs have a built in "ATI 3D Rage Pro AGP" graphics set.

    I tried totally disabling the "energy saver" options on the Linux PC,
    the LCd still blanks...

    I have the feeling the monitor itself it deciding to black screen. It's
    nothing on the PC itself. Unless X11 isn't telling the monitor to "wake
    up" in a way it understands.

  5. Re: LCD monitor goes to sleep when it shouldn't.

    Lyndon Bartels wrote:

    > I have two Compaq Deskpro PCs. Hardware identical. (P3-500) Both are
    > connected via an Omniview KVM switch to a Compaq 1825 LCD Monitor.
    >
    > The first PC is running SuSE 9.1 Pro. The Second is running NT4.0.
    >
    > On the SuSE machine, the monitor is always going into low power mode
    > (goes blank) even when it shouldn't. The only way to "wake it up" is to
    > power cycle it.
    >
    > The monitor behaves perfectly on the NT machine.
    >
    > Back to the SuSE machine....
    >
    > If the machine is idle, the X screen saver will kick in like it should.
    > Then after a time, the monitor will go to low power mode. (go black).
    > Mouse movement, keyboard activity, will not "wake up" the monitor. If I
    > power cycle the monitor, the screensaver will have gone away, and
    > everything will work properly.
    >
    > Even if I'm working along, the screen will go black.
    >
    > I thought that maybe the KVM wasn't being nice. So while the NT machine
    > is off being re-imaged. I connected the Keyboard, Video, and Mouse
    > directly to my PC, and I get the same behavior.
    >
    > Another oddity. The monitor has a menu button on it, and it doesn't work
    > while I'm using Linux. But does work while I'm on NT.
    >
    > Very confusing...

    In your XF86Config-4 file, in the appropriate "Monitor" section, do you have
    Option "DPMS"? If so, try commenting it out. That should disable power
    management of the monitors altogether.

    Luca

+ Reply to Thread