X Problems - Suddenly stopped working - X

This is a discussion on X Problems - Suddenly stopped working - X ; Hi, I'm using mandrake 10 and all of a sudden X has stopped working. On bootup I just get a text login prompt. If I login as root and type startx I get an error saying a library is missing ...

  1. X Problems - Suddenly stopped working

    Hi,
    I'm using mandrake 10 and all of a sudden X has stopped working.

    On bootup I just get a text login prompt. If I login as root and type
    startx I get an error saying a library is missing and that it can't
    load the nvidia module and it can't load the vnc module.

    The funny thing is that I can still log in from my windows box using
    both SSH and vnc. I can get into KDE and everything seems to be
    working fine. I just can't get X working locally.

    Regards
    Tom

  2. Re: X Problems - Suddenly stopped working

    On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 01:09:19 +0100, Tom Denham wrote:
    > I'm using mandrake 10 and all of a sudden X has stopped working.
    >
    > On bootup I just get a text login prompt. If I login as root and type
    > startx I get an error saying a library is missing and that it can't
    > load the nvidia module and it can't load the vnc module.

    I've been there before, with SuSE (was it 8.2?) Linux.

    > The funny thing is that I can still log in from my windows box using
    > both SSH and vnc. I can get into KDE and everything seems to be
    > working fine. I just can't get X working locally.

    Yeah, it looks like the library is needed for running the X server?

    When I had that problem, ISTR I reloaded X. Actually, I think I reloaded
    the whole system, because I had a number of other problems as well, so I
    thought it would be best to start off with a clean slate.

    I think the "proper" way to deal with that is to use rpm facilities. From
    the error message that told you of the missing library, find out which
    package this library belongs to, using:

    rpm -qf

    If you don't know the path, you can read that from the output of:

    rpm -qal | grep

    I suspect that you had some kind of crash, and file(s) got corrupted, and
    one (or more) of your libraries got deleted? I think that is what happened
    to me a year or two ago, when I had the similar problem.

    Once you know which rpm package the library belonged to, then you can
    simply reinstall that package:

    rpm -U --force

    You need to --force, because rpm probably thinks it is already in there,
    so you have to insist. BTW, if you were to do a verify with:

    rpm -V

    It would likely list a bunch of missing components, including your library.

    If this starts to get really complicated, with lots of missing packages,
    and lots of difficulty reloading them, you might simply reload all of X.

    Note: if you have installed updates, from your Mandrake distribution site,
    and those updates have changed the X packages in your distro, then you
    should obviously use the updated packages. Alternatively, reinstall
    everything that belongs to X from your distro, and do your updates again.

    Note: I did not suggest going to sift through backups or archives. My own
    personal experience has been that distro packages are best reinstalled
    using rpm, once you have determined the version and location of packages.

    --
    Juhan Leemet
    Logicognosis, Inc.

  3. Re: X Problems - Suddenly stopped working

    On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 04:14:29 -0200, Juhan Leemet
    wrote:

    >On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 01:09:19 +0100, Tom Denham wrote:
    >> I'm using mandrake 10 and all of a sudden X has stopped working.
    >>
    >> On bootup I just get a text login prompt. If I login as root and type
    >> startx I get an error saying a library is missing and that it can't
    >> load the nvidia module and it can't load the vnc module.

    >I've been there before, with SuSE (was it 8.2?) Linux.
    >
    >> The funny thing is that I can still log in from my windows box using
    >> both SSH and vnc. I can get into KDE and everything seems to be
    >> working fine. I just can't get X working locally.

    >Yeah, it looks like the library is needed for running the X server?

    I guess so, the library in question is libstdc++, which if I'm
    interpreting it right seems to be the standard C++ library. pretty
    important huh?

    >When I had that problem, ISTR I reloaded X. Actually, I think I reloaded
    >the whole system, because I had a number of other problems as well, so I
    >thought it would be best to start off with a clean slate.
    >
    >I think the "proper" way to deal with that is to use rpm facilities. From
    >the error message that told you of the missing library, find out which
    >package this library belongs to, using:
    >
    > rpm -qf
    >
    >If you don't know the path, you can read that from the output of:
    >
    > rpm -qal | grep
    >
    >I suspect that you had some kind of crash, and file(s) got corrupted, and
    >one (or more) of your libraries got deleted? I think that is what happened
    >to me a year or two ago, when I had the similar problem.
    >
    >Once you know which rpm package the library belonged to, then you can
    >simply reinstall that package:
    >
    > rpm -U --force
    >
    >You need to --force, because rpm probably thinks it is already in there,
    >so you have to insist. BTW, if you were to do a verify with:
    >
    > rpm -V
    >
    >It would likely list a bunch of missing components, including your library.
    >
    >If this starts to get really complicated, with lots of missing packages,
    >and lots of difficulty reloading them, you might simply reload all of X.

    I managed to restore the missing file but now it's saying another is
    missing. It seems to be a "c" library this time. It looks pretty dire,
    so I may just try and re install the whole lot. Even though it tooks
    me weeks to get all my hardware working, oh well.

    Thanks for your help
    Tom

  4. Re: X Problems - Suddenly stopped working

    On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 13:52:38 +0100, Tom Denham wrote:
    > On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 04:14:29 -0200, Juhan Leemet
    > wrote:
    >>On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 01:09:19 +0100, Tom Denham wrote:
    >>> I'm using mandrake 10 and all of a sudden X has stopped working.

    [snippage]
    >>Yeah, it looks like the library is needed for running the X server?

    > I guess so, the library in question is libstdc++, which if I'm
    > interpreting it right seems to be the standard C++ library. pretty
    > important huh?

    Yikes! I'll say...

    [more snippage]
    >>Once you know which rpm package the library belonged to, then you can
    >>simply reinstall that package:

    > I managed to restore the missing file but now it's saying another is
    > missing. It seems to be a "c" library this time. It looks pretty dire,
    > so I may just try and re install the whole lot. Even though it tooks
    > me weeks to get all my hardware working, oh well.

    Dunno, if it is just one or two libraries that are missing, then esp. if
    it took you weeks to get everything working, it might be worth trying to
    recover without trashing everything. I would try to assess the damage.

    Do you have a recent (days? weeks?) backup of everything? That's an option.

    Just for fun, try doing a "rpm -Va", it will take quite a while (10s of
    minutes?) but don't freak out with the error or warning messages. There
    are some (many?) files that normally have their timestamps changed, or
    contents updated. That is normal. What you want is to see which files are
    listed as "missing". You can probably cobble together a script to figure
    that out? or put the result into a file and process and/or edit that. If
    you only have a few missing files (libraries?) then it is feasible to
    reinstall those packages one at a time. If you have literally 1000s of
    missing files, then doing each one by hand would be too much of a PITA.

    --
    Juhan Leemet
    Logicognosis, Inc.

+ Reply to Thread