Hello.

I've just splashed out (it was quite cheap really at £999, IMHO) on a nice
HP Athlon 64 3200+ laptop, with 512Mb RAM, 40GB of disk, and pertinently, a
NVIDIA GeFORCE 440 Go 64Mb video card driving a 1200x800 widescreen. All
works nicely under Windows XP (ugh!), but I just can't get anything going
under X at that resolution. I either get 1280 by 960 which is no good as I
can't see a portion of the screen, or an ugly 1024x768, or variations.
I've tried SuSE9.1/64 and RH9. RH9 uses a portion of the available screen
in (I think) 1024x768. 1200x800 looks lovely under win XP, but I'm a Unix
man, and just can't bear the thought of having to use Windows. The only
reason I left a small (9GB or so) partition for XP was for hardware
checking, and to play Counterstrike. Now I've discovered that CS gives me
motion sickness (the graphics are amazing!), I will probably delete the xp
partition and use it for .ogg files. Any ideas how I can get 1200x800
working. I've tried editing the /etc/X11/XF86Config file and adding a
modelines line and a reference to it, but its like X is ignoring
resolutions it doesn't consider normal - theres no change. The SuSE &
Red-Hat tools don't have the option to select 1200x800, so I have to
manually edit XF86Config.

BTW SuSE is my preferred distribution, and I got the machine to play with a
64bit processor (although I do have a HP workstation which I could play
with, and which I believe is a 64 bit PA_RISC chip, but I could be wrong!),
so I'd rather get it working with the SuSE installation. To be honest
though, I'll try any distribution. As a (minor) secondary problem, I tend
to use run state 3 and run startx, rather than run state 5 and a display
manager. When I exit X, the display is unreadable - rapidly scrolling (I
think) text in an unreadable video mode. There used to be a tool to fix
this, but I can't remember what it was. I suppose I could always run in RS
5. Any help appreciated (Yes, I've looked at google, and at linux-laptops!
FWIW SuSE claims full support for the card, but I think the problem is the
display size rather than the card)
Thanks
Graham Nicholls
--
Rock Computer Consultancy:
The answer's always "Yes" - now what was the question?