100 dpi - X

This is a discussion on 100 dpi - X ; xdpyinfo tells me I'm running X at 75dpi. By my calculations, my monitor has 105dpi. What do I do to run at 100dpi? Bob T....

  1. 100 dpi

    xdpyinfo tells me I'm running X at 75dpi. By my calculations, my monitor
    has 105dpi. What do I do to run at 100dpi?

    Bob T.

  2. Re: 100 dpi

    Bob Tennent wrote:

    > xdpyinfo tells me I'm running X at 75dpi. By my calculations, my monitor
    > has 105dpi. What do I do to run at 100dpi?

    Why not run at 105dpi?

    startx -- -dpi 105

    (or edit your startx script, or whatever script you use to run X)

    --
    David Dorward
    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

  3. Re: 100 dpi

    On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 21:21:15 +0100, David Dorward staggered into the
    Black Sun and said:
    > Bob Tennent wrote:
    >> xdpyinfo tells me I'm running X at 75dpi. By my calculations, my
    >> monitor has 105dpi. What do I do to run at 100dpi?

    > Why not run at 105dpi?

    Because many fonts are available at 75 DPI and aren't available for 100
    DPI, and barely any fonts will be available at 105 DPI. I tried running
    at 100 DPI a few times; each time, I hated the fonts so much that I went
    back to 75 ASAP. YMMV on this, but I find that text just looks a lot
    better at 75.

    > startx -- -dpi 105
    > (or edit your startx script, or whatever script you use to run X)

    That'll work, but what if the OP uses kdm/gdm/xdm, as most people do
    these days? There is no option to specify DPI in XF86Config; you must
    use "DisplaySize N M" where N and M are in millimeters. Figure out the
    values for N and M that result in 100 DPI, modify XF86Config, restart X,
    realize that X rounded the values you put in, edit XF86COnfig again,
    restart X, keep iterating until satisfied. Or just stay at 75 and enjoy
    better fonts. HTH, YMMV.

    http://www.brainbench.com / Hire me!

  4. Re: 100 dpi

    In article ,
    Bob Tennent wrote:
    > xdpyinfo tells me I'm running X at 75dpi. By my calculations, my monitor
    > has 105dpi. What do I do to run at 100dpi?

    In /etc/X11/XF86Config, there's a section

    Section "Monitor"
    DisplaySize 390 292 # or whatever, in mm, horiz then vert
    EndSection

    XF86Config(5x) describes it; I could not see an entry for DPI in a brief look,
    but maybe you can.

    --
    -eben ebQenW1@EtaRmpTabYayU.rIr.OcoPm home.tampabay.rr.com/hactar
    An ASCII character walks into a bar and orders a double. "Having a bad day?"

  5. Re: 100 dpi

    In article ,
    Dances With Crows wrote:
    > On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 21:21:15 +0100, David Dorward staggered into the
    > Black Sun and said:
    > > Bob Tennent wrote:
    > >> xdpyinfo tells me I'm running X at 75dpi. By my calculations, my
    > >> monitor has 105dpi. What do I do to run at 100dpi?

    > > Why not run at 105dpi?

    > Because many fonts are available at 75 DPI and aren't available for 100
    > DPI, and barely any fonts will be available at 105 DPI. I tried running
    > at 100 DPI a few times; each time, I hated the fonts so much that I went
    > back to 75 ASAP. YMMV on this, but I find that text just looks a lot
    > better at 75.
    >
    > > startx -- -dpi 105
    > > (or edit your startx script, or whatever script you use to run X)

    > That'll work, but what if the OP uses kdm/gdm/xdm, as most people do
    > these days? There is no option to specify DPI in XF86Config; you must
    > use "DisplaySize N M" where N and M are in millimeters. Figure out the
    > values for N and M that result in 100 DPI, modify XF86Config, restart X,
    > realize that X rounded the values you put in, edit XF86COnfig again,
    > restart X, keep iterating until satisfied. Or just stay at 75 and enjoy
    > better fonts. HTH, YMMV.

    And, is it rounded before or after division by 25.4? Is the value shown
    rounded only for display and kept at a higher resolution internally?

    --
    -eben ebQenW1@EtaRmpTabYayU.rIr.OcoPm home.tampabay.rr.com/hactar
    VIRGO: All Virgos are extremely friendly and intelligent - except

  6. Re: 100 dpi

    begin David Dorward dedi ki:
    > Bob Tennent wrote:
    >
    >> xdpyinfo tells me I'm running X at 75dpi. By my calculations, my monitor
    >> has 105dpi. What do I do to run at 100dpi?

    Edit /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers and change the line that reads,
    ":0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X vt7 -nolisten tcp" (or similar) to,
    ":0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X vt7 -dpi 100 -nolisten tcp"

    This will work in all situations, including if you [gkx]dm to start X.
    Also install XFree86-100dpi-fonts* packages so that most 100 dpi fonts are
    readily available, so xfs won't have to do CPU intensive font scaling.

    > Why not run at 105dpi?

    Because then xfs would have to do font scaling, taxing on the CPU. But if
    he installs 100dpi-fonts* packages and runs X at 100 dpi, then xfs
    *mostly* won't have to do that.

    --
    Abdullah | aramazan@ |
    Ramazanoglu | myrealbox |

  7. Re: 100 dpi

    On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 07:08:57 +0300, Abdullah Ramazanoglu wrote:

    >>> xdpyinfo tells me I'm running X at 75dpi. By my calculations, my monitor
    >>> has 105dpi. What do I do to run at 100dpi?

    > Edit /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers and change the line that reads,
    > ":0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X vt7 -nolisten tcp" (or similar) to,
    > ":0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X vt7 -dpi 100 -nolisten tcp"
    >
    > This will work in all situations

    It doesn't seem to work for me:

    /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers:

    :0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X -dpi 100 -gamma 1.6

    xorg.conf:

    Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Screen0"
    Device "My Video Card"
    Monitor "MEI0C96"
    DefaultDepth 16
    Subsection "Display"
    Depth 16
    Modes "1024x768"
    Virtual 1600 1200
    EndSubSection
    EndSection

    xdpyinfo:

    screen #0:
    dimensions: 1600x1200 pixels (542x406 millimeters)
    resolution: 75x75 dots per inch

  8. Re: 100 dpi

    Bob Tennent wrote:

    > > Edit /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers and change the line that reads,
    > > ":0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X vt7 -nolisten tcp" (or similar) to,
    > > ":0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X vt7 -dpi 100 -nolisten tcp"
    > >
    > > This will work in all situations

    >It doesn't seem to work for me:
    >
    >/etc/X11/xdm/Xservers:
    >
    > :0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X -dpi 100 -gamma 1.6

    > screen #0:
    > dimensions: 1600x1200 pixels (542x406 millimeters)
    > resolution: 75x75 dots per inch

    I'm not sure if that makes any difference at all.

    In your configuration file, put the 100 dpi fonts in front of
    the 75 dpi fonts in the list of font locations. You'll be
    using 100 dpi fonts by default then.

    --
    FloydL. Davidson
    Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska) floyd@barrow.com

  9. Re: 100 dpi

    begin floyd@barrow.com (Floyd L. Davidson) dedi ki:
    > Bob Tennent wrote:

    >>> Edit /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers and change the line that reads,
    >>> ":0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X vt7 -nolisten tcp" (or similar) to,
    >>> ":0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X vt7 -dpi 100 -nolisten tcp"
    >>>
    >>> This will work in all situations

    >>It doesn't seem to work for me:
    >>
    >>/etc/X11/xdm/Xservers:
    >>
    >> :0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X -dpi 100 -gamma 1.6

    >> screen #0:
    >> dimensions: 1600x1200 pixels (542x406 millimeters)
    >> resolution: 75x75 dots per inch

    Strange. On XFree86 it works. Perhaps some change regarding to syntax or
    something on x.org? I would pursue this starting from X and Xservers man
    pages. Also /var/log/XFree86.0.log (or whatever its name in x.org) would
    be of great help, because it is clear that "-dpi 100" doesn't work, so
    there should be a relevan warning or error message in the logs as to why
    it didn't work. Another possibility is that, are you sure you're using
    screen 0? Perhaps you extend the "-dpi 100" addition to all available
    displays in Xservers? (i.e not only ":0", but also ":1", ":2", ...)

    > I'm not sure if that makes any difference at all.
    >
    > In your configuration file, put the 100 dpi fonts in front of
    > the 75 dpi fonts in the list of font locations. You'll be
    > using 100 dpi fonts by default then.

    But this is an issue beyond font sizes. His "screen resolution" is still
    at 75x75. Once X runs at 100x100 resolution, only after then correct font
    locations, scaling etc. will become an issue (if ever).

    --
    Abdullah | aramazan@ |
    Ramazanoglu | myrealbox |

+ Reply to Thread