Multiple mice setup? - X

This is a discussion on Multiple mice setup? - X ; Is it possible to have two different mice configured in XF86Config at the same time? I have a notebook that I use the touchpad when mobile (Protocol "PS/2") but when docked, I use a PS/2 "wheeled" mouse ("Protocol" "IMPS/2" - ...

  1. Multiple mice setup?

    Is it possible to have two different mice configured in XF86Config at
    the same time?

    I have a notebook that I use the touchpad when mobile (Protocol "PS/2")
    but when docked, I use a PS/2 "wheeled" mouse ("Protocol" "IMPS/2" - to
    activate the wheel). If the touchpad is used with the IMPS/2 setting it
    has erratic behavior and can't be used.

    I'm sure I can script something to swap out XF86Config file when booting
    up, but I'd like to here if there is some configuration option that I've
    missed.

    XFree86 Version 4.3.0.1
    Release Date: 15 August 2003
    X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 6.6
    Build Operating System: Linux 2.4.25-gentoo-r1 i686 [ELF]

    Thanks,
    Paul

    --

    http://www.linuxscope.com
    Chicagoland Open Source Consultants

  2. Re: Multiple mice setup?

    On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 22:06:26 -0500, Paul T staggered into the Black Sun
    and said:
    > Is it possible to have two different mice configured in XF86Config at
    > the same time?

    Of course. N mice means N InputDevice sections in your config file, and
    1 line for each mouse in the ServerLayout section. One mouse should be
    labeled "CorePointer" and all the others should be labeled
    "SendCoreEvents" in the ServerLayout section.

    > I have a notebook that I use the touchpad when mobile (Protocol
    > "PS/2") but when docked, I use a PS/2 "wheeled" mouse ("Protocol"
    > "IMPS/2" - to activate the wheel). If the touchpad is used with the
    > IMPS/2 setting it has erratic behavior and can't be used.

    Does this unnamed laptop have a make and model#? On many IBM Thinkpads,
    the Trackpoint and PS/2 port share data lines. The Trackpoint uses
    the PS/2 protocol, so if you plug an IMPS/2 mouse into the PS/2 port and
    set the protocol to IMPS/2, the Trackpoint will deliver bogus data. The
    only cures are to disable the Trackpoint (yuck), use the PS/2 protocol
    (no scrollwheel), or get a USB mouse (preferred).

    > I'm sure I can script something to swap out XF86Config file when
    > booting up, but I'd like to here if there is some configuration option
    > that I've missed.

    If the built-in pointing device shares data lines with the PS/2 port on
    your laptop, then my advice is to get a USB mouse. Cheap, easy to set
    up, no hassle. HTH,

    http://www.brainbench.com / Hire me!

  3. Re: Multiple mice setup?

    Dances With Crows wrote:
    > On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 22:06:26 -0500, Paul T staggered into the Black Sun
    > and said:
    >
    >>Is it possible to have two different mice configured in XF86Config at
    >>the same time?

    > Of course. N mice means N InputDevice sections in your config file, and
    > 1 line for each mouse in the ServerLayout section. One mouse should be
    > labeled "CorePointer" and all the others should be labeled
    > "SendCoreEvents" in the ServerLayout section.
    >

    >>I have a notebook that I use the touchpad when mobile (Protocol
    >>"PS/2") but when docked, I use a PS/2 "wheeled" mouse ("Protocol"
    >>"IMPS/2" - to activate the wheel). If the touchpad is used with the
    >>IMPS/2 setting it has erratic behavior and can't be used.

    > Does this unnamed laptop have a make and model#? On many IBM Thinkpads,
    > the Trackpoint and PS/2 port share data lines. The Trackpoint uses
    > the PS/2 protocol, so if you plug an IMPS/2 mouse into the PS/2 port and
    > set the protocol to IMPS/2, the Trackpoint will deliver bogus data. The
    > only cures are to disable the Trackpoint (yuck), use the PS/2 protocol
    > (no scrollwheel), or get a USB mouse (preferred).

    It's a Dell 610 and it appears that the touchpad and PS/2 port do share
    the same data lines. What you describe is my situation - bogus data
    when configured for IMPS/2 and using the touchpad.

    Looks like I'll go get a USB mouse and adding the necessary sections
    into XF86Config.

    >>I'm sure I can script something to swap out XF86Config file when
    >>booting up, but I'd like to here if there is some configuration option
    >>that I've missed.

    > If the built-in pointing device shares data lines with the PS/2 port on
    > your laptop, then my advice is to get a USB mouse. Cheap, easy to set
    > up, no hassle. HTH,

    Thanks for the help.

    --

    Linuxscope Inc. http://www.linuxscope.com