What is Cron - X

This is a discussion on What is Cron - X ; Hi, I am running Fedora Core2 I am still learning and I am trying to figure out what "cron" is and what the different files are for. A simple answer would be great! Maybe a comparison to windows (if possible) ...

  1. What is Cron

    Hi,

    I am running Fedora Core2
    I am still learning and I am trying to figure out what "cron" is and
    what the different files are for.

    A simple answer would be great! Maybe a comparison to windows (if
    possible)

    I think that cron is used to run apps/scripts at specific times. Is
    that it?

    What is crontab?

    I have tried reading the man pages, and the help files on redhat.com
    but all help seems to assume that i am starting with some knowledge
    and i have none.

    Thanks for sharing your knowledge in advance

    Brad

  2. Re: What is Cron

    On 29 Sep 2004 18:55:12 -0700, Bradley Hennon wrote:

    > I think that cron is used to run apps/scripts at specific times. Is
    > that it?

    Yep, and is your simple answer.

    > What is crontab?

    The /etc/crontab file dictates a list of periodic jobs to be executed
    at the indicated times.

    > I have tried reading the man pages,

    http://www.icon.co.za/~psheer/book/index.html.gz
    Check top left links.

  3. Re: What is Cron

    On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 02:00:53 +0000, Bit Twister wrote:
    > On 29 Sep 2004 18:55:12 -0700, Bradley Hennon wrote:
    >> What is crontab?

    > The /etc/crontab file dictates a list of periodic jobs to be executed
    > at the indicated times.

    Furthermore, crontab is also the name of the utility program to use to
    examine and/or edit the crontab files (for particular user(s), yourself by
    default). At least it is for Vixie cron on Linux (and the cron on
    Solaris). You should not be fiddling the crontab files directly.
    Furthermore, some systems will put user crontab files in different places.

    p.s. You should also check if there is any allow or deny file for cron,
    esp. if you find that cron seems to not work (for certain users).

    --
    Juhan Leemet
    Logicognosis, Inc.

  4. Re: What is Cron

    In article ,
    Bradley Hennon wrote:
    >I am still learning and I am trying to figure out what "cron" is and
    >what the different files are for.

    [compton ~]$ whatis cron
    cron (8) - daemon to execute scheduled commands (Vixie Cron)
    [compton ~]$

    >A simple answer would be great! Maybe a comparison to windows (if
    >possible)

    Does windoze stay up long enough to run scheduled jobs? Don't ask me,
    as I stopped using it in 1992.

    >I think that cron is used to run apps/scripts at specific times. Is
    >that it?

    'cron' - yes. There are actually two styles of cron - the Vixie cron
    is used on systems that stay up 24/7, and the best part of it is that
    it runs the CPU intensive programs and cleanups in the middle of the
    night. There is also 'anacron' which is meant for systems that are
    only run part time. This tries to run all jobs that are scheduled to
    run (for example) daily once in a 24 hour period. The disadvantage of
    this is that this means it's running those CPU intensive tasks while
    you may be trying to do something else.

    >What is crontab?

    [compton ~]$ whatis crontab
    crontab (1) - maintain crontab files for individual users (V3)
    crontab (5) - tables for driving cron
    [compton ~]$

    It's a command to edit/view/maintain the cron task files [crontab(1)]
    and it's the task files for cron [crontab(5)].

    >I have tried reading the man pages, and the help files on redhat.com
    >but all help seems to assume that i am starting with some knowledge
    >and i have none.

    http://tldp.org/guides.html

    Start with the 'user-guide' and 'system-admin-guide'. You also want to
    spend some time reading the many HOWTOs.

    >Thanks for sharing your knowledge in advance

    Really isn't a question related to the X. Nudge your newstool over to
    the comp.os.linux.misc group.

    Old guy

  5. Re: What is Cron

    On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 18:55:12 -0700, Bradley Hennon wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I am running Fedora Core2
    > I am still learning and I am trying to figure out what "cron" is and
    > what the different files are for.

    Did you ever consider doing a Google search? The first result is "Newbie:
    Intro to cron".

    Kind regards,
    Jason

+ Reply to Thread