xhost and DISPLAY variable (rlogin from SGI to Red Hat Linux) - X

This is a discussion on xhost and DISPLAY variable (rlogin from SGI to Red Hat Linux) - X ; Hello, I'm having difficulty running a GUI during a rlogin session to Linux! I start out on SGI (computer A) and type "xhost IP address of computer B". I then rlogin to computer B. On computer B, I set the ...

  1. xhost and DISPLAY variable (rlogin from SGI to Red Hat Linux)

    Hello,

    I'm having difficulty running a GUI during a rlogin session to Linux! I start
    out on SGI (computer A) and type "xhost IP address of computer B". I then
    rlogin to computer B. On computer B, I set the DISPLAY variable to the IP
    address of computer A with a concatenated ":0". I then try to start my GUI but
    it doesn't come up! My SGI does not have the "setenv" command.
    Question: What is the sequence of commands ro rlogin from a SGI computer to
    a Linux box and start a GUI?

    Increasingly thankful,
    Christopher Lusardi

  2. Re: xhost and DISPLAY variable (rlogin from SGI to Red Hat Linux)

    On 29 Sep 2004 10:19:32 -0700, Christopher M. Lusardi staggered into the
    Black Sun and said:
    > I'm having difficulty running a GUI during a rlogin session to
    > Linux!

    Don't use rlogin. Use ssh instead. There were security advisories
    about rlogin and exploitable problems with it 5 years ago!

    > I start out on SGI (computer A) and type "xhost IP address of
    > computer B". I then rlogin to computer B. On computer B, I set the
    > DISPLAY variable to the IP address of computer A with a concatenated
    > ":0". I then try to start my GUI but it doesn't come up!

    Like this?

    sgi:~$ xhost +linuxbox
    sgi:~$ rlogin linuxbox
    linuxbox:~$ export DISPLAY=sgi:0
    linuxbox:~$ xclient &

    The "xhost +machinename" is typically how you grant access to the local
    display to a machine or IP address. Your X may vary, since a lot of SGI
    gear is old--check the man page for your xhost for details.

    > My SGI does not have the "setenv" command.

    In csh and its derivatives, setenv is a shell builtin. There is no
    /usr/bin/setenv . All non-restricted shells worth the name have a way
    of changing environment variables. You use "setenv VAR value" in
    csh/tcsh, "export VAR=value" in sh/bash, and something very similar for
    ksh/zsh.

    > Question: What is the sequence of commands ro rlogin from a SGI
    > computer to a Linux box and start a GUI?

    sgi:~$ ssh -X linuxbox
    (NOTE: You may have to use -Y instead. Try both. If you don't have
    ssh installed on your SGI, install it! You'll have to set up sshd on
    the Linux box; this is not that difficult.)
    linuxbox:~$ xclient &

    http://www.brainbench.com / Hire me!

  3. Re: xhost and DISPLAY variable (rlogin from SGI to Red Hat Linux)

    On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 10:19:32 -0700, Christopher M. Lusardi wrote:
    > I'm having difficulty running a GUI during a rlogin session to Linux! I start
    > out on SGI (computer A) and type "xhost IP address of computer B". I then
    > rlogin to computer B. On computer B, I set the DISPLAY variable to the IP
    > address of computer A with a concatenated ":0". I then try to start my GUI but
    > it doesn't come up! My SGI does not have the "setenv" command.

    I have done this going from Solaris to Linux. Your description sounds
    about right. [guessing] Did you export your DISPLAY setting? Dunno if
    necessary, but I always do. You must get an error message of some kind?

    > Question: What is the sequence of commands ro rlogin from a SGI computer to
    > a Linux box and start a GUI?

    What I am using now, between Linux and Solaris machines (going either way)
    is ssh (better security than telnet or rlogin) with X tunneling. It is not
    too much trouble to setup. If the configuration files for ssh, sshd have
    the X11 tunneling options set, then the X11 traffic is routed back to your
    workstation automagically. It's great! I think you should look into that.

    Another option, which I've used to go from Linux to Solaris is to start
    another X session on another display, e.g. "X --query :1".
    However that gives a total separate X session. Dunno if that is what you
    want? I'm guessing you want to see Linux and SGI windows side by side.

    Going from Solaris to Linux, I have used the workstation login panel, and
    selected remote host, and logged in to the Linux machine. The Solaris
    workstation was essentially just an X-terminal. I guess you actually want
    to have simultaneous X window access to both your SGI and Linux machines?

    I would setup ssh with X11 tunneling.

    --
    Juhan Leemet
    Logicognosis, Inc.

  4. Re: xhost and DISPLAY variable (rlogin from SGI to Red Hat Linux)

    On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 10:19:32 +0000, Christopher M. Lusardi wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm having difficulty running a GUI during a rlogin session to Linux! I start
    > out on SGI (computer A) and type "xhost IP address of computer B". I then
    > rlogin to computer B. On computer B, I set the DISPLAY variable to the IP
    > address of computer A with a concatenated ":0". I then try to start my GUI but
    > it doesn't come up! My SGI does not have the "setenv" command.
    > Question: What is the sequence of commands ro rlogin from a SGI computer to
    > a Linux box and start a GUI?
    >

    > Increasingly thankful,
    > Christopher Lusardi

    Try telnet vice rlogin. I know that on certain linuxes that causes the
    environment variable to be properly set for you - it may work there.

  5. Re: xhost and DISPLAY variable (rlogin from SGI to Red Hat Linux)

    On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 17:31:15 -0400, Bill Marcum wrote:
    > On 29 Sep 2004 10:19:32 -0700, Christopher M. Lusardi
    > wrote:
    >> I'm having difficulty running a GUI during a rlogin session to Linux...
    >> Question: What is the sequence of commands ro rlogin from a SGI
    >> computer to a Linux box and start a GUI?
    >>

    > ssh -X

    Even better if you set the X11 tunneling options in the ssh config files
    on both sides, and then you don't need the -X option. I always used to
    forget, since I mostly used command line, but then when I wanted GUI...?

    --
    Juhan Leemet
    Logicognosis, Inc.

+ Reply to Thread