Blurred or Microscopic - X

This is a discussion on Blurred or Microscopic - X ; I have Fluxbox running on top Gentoo. Everything looks pin-sharp and lovely, but the text is too small to read without ruining my eyesight. The resolution is set to 1024x768, but if I set it to 800x600 using xrandr, everything ...

  1. Blurred or Microscopic

    I have Fluxbox running on top Gentoo. Everything looks pin-sharp and
    lovely, but the text is too small to read without ruining my eyesight.

    The resolution is set to 1024x768, but if I set it to 800x600 using
    xrandr, everything becomes blurred.

    Is there a way of solving this problem?

    I have successfully used the 800x600 setting within Windows XP.

    I'm using a Dell Inspiron 5000 laptop with a visible screen that
    measures 324x259. The refresh rate is 60 Hz. xorg.conf contains
    this: Modes "800x600". Despite that, the resolution is always as
    stated above when I run "startx /usr/bin/fluxbox".

    Thanks,

    R.

  2. Re: Blurred or Microscopic

    On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 15:24:32 +0000, Rolleston staggered into the Black
    Sun and said:
    > I'm using a Dell Inspiron 5000 laptop. The resolution is set to
    > 1024x768, but if I set it to 800x600 using xrandr, everything becomes
    > blurred. Everything looks pin-sharp and lovely, but the text is too
    > small to read without ruining my eyesight. I have successfully used
    > the 800x600 setting within Windows XP.

    So use your window manager's control center or equivalent to crank the
    font size up in your file manager, text editor, web browser, and
    whatever else you use. Running an LCD at anything other than its native
    resolution *will* make things blurry. There are exactly 1024 x 768
    pixel elements on your screen and there's not a 1:1 mapping between
    800x600 and 1024x768. How can you get any work done on an 800x600
    screen? My laptop has a 1600x1200 screen, and sometimes I wish the
    screen had even higher resolution.

    > xorg.conf contains this: Modes "800x600". Despite that, the resolution
    > is always as stated above when I run "startx /usr/bin/fluxbox".

    IME, laptop LCDs are pickier about their Modelines than CRTs. If you
    can't crank your font sizes up for some reason and you feel you must run
    at 800x600, you'll have to change the HSync and VSync ranges in your
    XF86Config file. Make them really large; my Thinkpad A22p has HSync and
    VSync ranges much larger than what the LCD can actually do. If I don't
    do that, X won't let me use any resolutions other than the LCD's native
    1600x1200. Look in your /var/log/XFree86.0.log for warnings like "Not
    using mode "800x600" (HSync out of range)" and do the obvious thing to
    fix that. HTH,

    http://www.brainbench.com / Hire me!