Development question... - X

This is a discussion on Development question... - X ; Hi, Can anyone point me in the right direction...? I'm looking for help on writing code on programming the X windows system i.e Creating windows, handling messages etc.(also going to try the glx library), but my searching has been in ...

  1. Development question...

    Hi,

    Can anyone point me in the right direction...?
    I'm looking for help on writing code on programming the X windows system
    i.e Creating windows, handling messages etc.(also going to try the glx
    library), but my searching has been in vain, either I'm not searching
    correctly or its well hidden

    I thought there would be a API reference or soething available but ...
    cant find it...

    Help me anyone...?

  2. Re: Development question...

    Graham wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Can anyone point me in the right direction...?
    > I'm looking for help on writing code on programming the X windows system
    > i.e Creating windows, handling messages etc.(also going to try the glx
    > library), but my searching has been in vain, either I'm not searching
    > correctly or its well hidden
    >
    > I thought there would be a API reference or soething available

    Actually, there are /many/ API references available, for both low-level and
    high-level development.

    At the low-level end, you have the X protocol, and (slightly above it), the
    xlib API. Next up from them are APIs like the X Toolkit Intrinsics,followed by
    Xt and Athena widgets. After that, you have APIs like Motif, GTK+, and QT. And
    above these, there are APIs like the GNOME and KDE environment APIs.

    What's your pleasure?

    http://www.pconline.com/~erc/xprog.htm

    http://tronche.com/gui/x/
    http://www.the-labs.com/X11/XLib-Manual/
    http://users.actcom.co.il/~choo/lupg...ogramming.html
    http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/v1/index.html

    http://www.lesstif.org/links.html

    http://www.gtk.org/
    http://doc.trolltech.com/

    http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/libglade/
    http://developer.kde.org/documentation/

    > Help me anyone...?

    - --
    Lew Pitcher

  3. Re: Development question...

    Lew Pitcher wrote:

    > Graham wrote:
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>Can anyone point me in the right direction...?
    >>I'm looking for help on writing code on programming the X windows system
    >>i.e Creating windows, handling messages etc.(also going to try the glx
    >>library), but my searching has been in vain, either I'm not searching
    >>correctly or its well hidden
    >>
    >>I thought there would be a API reference or soething available

    > Actually, there are /many/ API references available, for both low-level and
    > high-level development.
    >
    > At the low-level end, you have the X protocol, and (slightly above it), the
    > xlib API. Next up from them are APIs like the X Toolkit Intrinsics,followed by
    > Xt and Athena widgets. After that, you have APIs like Motif, GTK+, and QT. And
    > above these, there are APIs like the GNOME and KDE environment APIs.
    >
    > What's your pleasure?
    >

    >>but ...
    >>cant find it...

    > http://www.pconline.com/~erc/xprog.htm
    >
    > http://tronche.com/gui/x/
    > http://www.the-labs.com/X11/XLib-Manual/
    > http://users.actcom.co.il/~choo/lupg...ogramming.html
    > http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/v1/index.html
    >
    > http://www.lesstif.org/links.html
    >
    > http://www.gtk.org/
    > http://doc.trolltech.com/
    >
    > http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/libglade/
    > http://developer.kde.org/documentation/
    >

    >>Help me anyone...?

    > - --
    > Lew Pitcher
    >
    > Master Codewright & JOAT-in-training | GPG public key available on request
    > Registered Linux User #112576 (http://counter.li.org/)
    > Slackware - Because I know what I'm doing.

    Thanks for the links...
    I'd been searching for "x programming" rather than "x windows
    programming" which didn't help.
    Im new to linux programming, having learned a bit of game programming
    under the win32 API, but I got itchy feet and wanted to try some Linux
    programming. I could of used SDL or some other high level API, but I
    want to try and learn some of the underlying technology, so I can get a
    better understanding of the OS, and X.
    Thanks again for the links, now I have somewhere to start learning

    Graham

+ Reply to Thread