X taking 99% of my cpu ! - X

This is a discussion on X taking 99% of my cpu ! - X ; Hi all, I've a problem with a X process which take 99% of my cpu ( top ) . I can kill this process and he comes back taking around 0.2% of my cpu unfortunatly if i reboot or shut-down ...

  1. X taking 99% of my cpu !

    Hi all,

    I've a problem with a X process which take 99% of my cpu ( top ) . I can
    kill this process and he comes back taking around 0.2% of my cpu
    unfortunatly if i reboot or shut-down my pc , this process X start again
    using 99% of the cpu.
    I'll very appreciate if someone help me on this issue.
    I'm beginner on linux so if you have some questions which can help to
    find out the problem don't hesitate to contact me .

    Thanks very much
    Fab

  2. Re: X taking 99% of my cpu !

    On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 16:26:50 +0200, Fabien VIOLA staggered into the
    Black Sun and said:
    > I've a problem with a X process which take 99% of my cpu ( top ) . I
    > can kill this process and he comes back taking around 0.2% of my cpu
    > unfortunatly if i reboot or shut-down my pc , this process X start
    > again using 99% of the cpu.

    X is the process that drives your graphics card. If you're running a
    graphics-intensive application (Return to Castle Wolfenstein, some
    screensavers, mplayer or xine without Xv) then X will take a lot of CPU
    time. When you say "kill this process", do you mean "kill X", or "kill
    an X application"? Details count! Read
    http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html for advice on how to ask
    questions in technical forums.

    > I'm beginner on linux so if you have some questions which can help to
    > find out the problem don't hesitate to contact me .

    Which version of which distro are you using? ("Bluehat 9.6".) Which X
    server are you running? (it's in /etc/X11/XF86Config or
    /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 or /etc/X11/xorg.conf , the "Driver" line in the
    Device section.) What's the output of "X -version"? If the
    CPU-intensive process is not the X server, but an X client, what's its
    name?

    http://www.brainbench.com / Hire me!