how to remap keys with xmodmap - X

This is a discussion on how to remap keys with xmodmap - X ; Hi, i bought a microsoft wireless key and it has the "end" key on top of the "page up" key. I am not use to this and would like to map the following: "end"-> "page up" "page up"->"page down" "page ...

  1. how to remap keys with xmodmap

    Hi,
    i bought a microsoft wireless key and it has the
    "end" key on top of the "page up" key. I am not
    use to this and would like to map the following:
    "end"-> "page up"
    "page up"->"page down"
    "page down" -> "end"

    i tried xkeycap but it does not have this layout.
    thanks

  2. Re: how to remap keys with xmodmap

    On 22 Sep 2004 06:44:55 -0700, les ander staggered into the Black Sun
    and said:
    > i bought a microsoft wireless key

    Just one key? (Must be Ctrl-Alt-Delete!)

    > and it has the "end" key on top of the "page up" key. I am not use to
    > this and would like to map the following:
    > "end"-> "page up"
    > "page up"->"page down"
    > "page down" -> "end"
    >
    > i tried xkeycap but it does not have this layout.

    Use xev to find out the keycodes this keyboard generates for End, PgUp,
    and PgDown. These are 103, 99, and 105 on my laptop keyboard. So I'd
    do this:

    xmodmap -e 'keycode 103 = Prior'
    xmodmap -e 'keycode 99 = Next'
    xmodmap -e 'keycode 105 = End'

    Note that X calls "PageUp" "Prior" and "PageDown" "Next". Modify the
    keycodes for your keyboard when you've used xev to figure things out.
    This *will* confuse people who look at the keys when typing, so make
    sure to switch things back to normal if someone other than you uses this
    machine.

    http://www.brainbench.com / Hire me!