motif vs. gtk for openGL animation - X

This is a discussion on motif vs. gtk for openGL animation - X ; Hello, I am porting a 3d animation application from IRIX to Linux (gnome desktop). It was written in C using openGL and motif. My question is, for the gui should I stay with motif or translate my widgets to gtk? ...

  1. motif vs. gtk for openGL animation

    Hello,

    I am porting a 3d animation application from IRIX to Linux (gnome
    desktop). It was written in C using openGL and motif. My question is,
    for the gui should I stay with motif or translate my widgets to gtk?
    What are the pros and cons of each toolkit? I am especially interested
    in how each toolkit might affect openGL rendering speeds.

    Thanks a lot.

    Berger

  2. Re: motif vs. gtk for openGL animation

    On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 11:25:58 +0000, M Berger wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I am porting a 3d animation application from IRIX to Linux (gnome
    > desktop). It was written in C using openGL and motif. My question is,
    > for the gui should I stay with motif or translate my widgets to gtk?
    > What are the pros and cons of each toolkit? I am especially interested
    > in how each toolkit might affect openGL rendering speeds.
    >
    > Thanks a lot.
    >
    > Berger

    I would certainly attempt the opengl/motif port first - there's no point
    in rewriting stuff just to get it going. Once it's working, you can see
    whether it is justified to rewrite. You may find you'll have to go with
    the open motif download, since the lesstif that comes with most distros
    may not work well enough to do the job. The main downside is that most
    distros don't come with motif.

+ Reply to Thread