xhost question: syntax - X

This is a discussion on xhost question: syntax - X ; Hello, The xhost man page states: OPTIONS [+]name The given name (the plus sign is optional) is added to the list allowed to connect to the X server. The name can be a host name or a user name. .... ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: xhost question: syntax

  1. xhost question: syntax

    Hello,

    The xhost man page states:

    OPTIONS

    [+]name The given name (the plus sign is optional) is added to the list
    allowed to connect to the X server. The name can be a host
    name or a user name.

    .... so how do I specify a username instead of a hostname?

    I tried "xhost +jamesdoe" and "xhost + jamesdoe@localhost" but none of
    the two have the right syntax. Any ideas?

    Thanks,

    Neil

  2. Re: xhost question: syntax

    Neil Zanella wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > The xhost man page states:
    >
    > OPTIONS
    >
    > [+]name The given name (the plus sign is optional) is added to the list
    > allowed to connect to the X server. The name can be a host
    > name or a user name.
    >
    > ... so how do I specify a username instead of a hostname?
    >
    > I tried "xhost +jamesdoe" and "xhost + jamesdoe@localhost" but none of
    > the two have the right syntax. Any ideas?


    No, you don't give any usernam in the argument, just the hostname

    eg: xhost +microsoft.com
    xhost +localhost

    Of course you can allow all, that you do with:
    xhost +


    //Aho

  3. Re: xhost question: syntax

    On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 05:44:46 +0200, J.O. Aho wrote:
    > Neil Zanella wrote:
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> The xhost man page states:
    >>
    >> OPTIONS
    >>
    >> [+]name The given name (the plus sign is optional) is added to the list
    >> allowed to connect to the X server. The name can be a host
    >> name or a user name.
    >>
    >> ... so how do I specify a username instead of a hostname?
    >>
    >> I tried "xhost +jamesdoe" and "xhost + jamesdoe@localhost" but none of
    >> the two have the right syntax. Any ideas?

    >
    > No, you don't give any usernam in the argument, just the hostname
    >
    > eg: xhost +microsoft.com
    > xhost +localhost
    >
    > Of course you can allow all, that you do with:
    > xhost +


    YIKES!!! That means anyone that can reach your machine can access your X
    server and start reading stuff off your screen (among other things).
    Generally opening up X all the way like that is discouraged.

    Personally, I like tunneling my X11 traffic through ssh using forwarding,
    but I guess the OP is trying to do something special? Dunno what.

    --
    Juhan Leemet
    Logicognosis, Inc.


  4. Re: xhost question: syntax

    Juhan Leemet wrote:

    > Personally, I like tunneling my X11 traffic through ssh using forwarding,
    > but I guess the OP is trying to do something special? Dunno what.



    With some X settings you aren't able to tunnel the X-application if you have
    su:ed to someone else.


    //Aho

  5. Re: xhost question: syntax

    "J.O. Aho" wrote in message news:<2r9mbqF17d9vvU2@uni-berlin.de>...
    > Neil Zanella wrote:
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > The xhost man page states:
    > >
    > > OPTIONS
    > >
    > > [+]name The given name (the plus sign is optional) is added to the list
    > > allowed to connect to the X server. The name can be a host
    > > name or a user name.
    > >
    > > ... so how do I specify a username instead of a hostname?
    > >
    > > I tried "xhost +jamesdoe" and "xhost + jamesdoe@localhost" but none of
    > > the two have the right syntax. Any ideas?

    >
    > No, you don't give any usernam in the argument, just the hostname


    But the man page says I can specify a _username_. Is the man page nuts???
    In any case, specifying a username would be helpful: certainly more secure
    than specifying an entire hostname.

    Thanks,

    Neil

  6. Re: xhost question: syntax

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    Hash: SHA1

    Neil Zanella wrote:
    > "J.O. Aho" wrote in message news:<2r9mbqF17d9vvU2@uni-berlin.de>...
    >
    >>Neil Zanella wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hello,
    >>>
    >>>The xhost man page states:
    >>>
    >>>OPTIONS
    >>>
    >>>[+]name The given name (the plus sign is optional) is added to the list
    >>> allowed to connect to the X server. The name can be a host
    >>> name or a user name.
    >>>
    >>>... so how do I specify a username instead of a hostname?
    >>>
    >>>I tried "xhost +jamesdoe" and "xhost + jamesdoe@localhost" but none of
    >>>the two have the right syntax. Any ideas?

    >>
    >>No, you don't give any usernam in the argument, just the hostname

    >
    >
    > But the man page says I can specify a _username_. Is the man page nuts???


    No, the manpage isn't nuts. It is likely, though, that you aren't
    running the "Secure RPC" (NIS) environment that the username option
    applies to.

    To quote the xhost(1) manpage
    "When Secure RPC is being used, the network independent
    netname (e.g., "nis:unix.uid@domainname") can be speci-
    fied, or a local user can be specified with just the user-
    name and a trailing at-sign (e.g., "nisat@").

    For backward compatibility with pre-R6 xhost, names that
    contain an at-sign (@) are assumed to be in the nis fam-
    ily. Otherwise the inet family is assumed."

    Are you running a NIS environment?

    > In any case, specifying a username would be helpful: certainly more secure
    > than specifying an entire hostname.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Neil



    - --

    Lew Pitcher, IT Consultant, Enterprise Data Systems
    Enterprise Technology Solutions, TD Bank Financial Group

    (Opinions expressed here are my own, not my employer's)
    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: GnuPG v1.2.4 (MingW32)

    iD8DBQFBUF3UagVFX4UWr64RAm0JAJ0evBdyxm7pO4MxIXupl6 0g2JGErgCffHcC
    bUmA1WMQKjPC3UcUZCfRH4I=
    =6Kh+
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

+ Reply to Thread