Faking dragging to a window? - X

This is a discussion on Faking dragging to a window? - X ; hello, Suppose I have the window-id of a window and the name of a file. Can I let the window (i.e. the application that owns the window) believe the file has been dragged and dropped onto it? If so, what ...

  1. Faking dragging to a window?

    hello,

    Suppose I have the window-id of a window and the name of a file.

    Can I let the window (i.e. the application that owns the window) believe the
    file has been dragged and dropped onto it?

    If so, what is the highest-level library I can use to do that? Reading the
    qt documentation (secooin drag&drop) I couldn't understand if this is
    possible.

    Thanks for any help.

    PS: It is for the program http://onefinger.sf.net, written in python.

    --
    Best Regards,
    Maurizio Colucci --- http://onefinger.sf.net

  2. Re: Faking dragging to a window?

    On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 17:34:21 GMT, seguso staggered into the Black Sun
    and said:
    > Suppose I have the window-id of a window and the name of a file. Can
    > I let the window (i.e. the application that owns the window) believe
    > the file has been dragged and dropped onto it?
    >
    > If so, what is the highest-level library I can use to do that? Reading
    > the qt documentation (secooin drag&drop) I couldn't understand if this
    > is possible.

    Qt would be the thing to use if you can manage that. What is "secooin"?
    DCOP may be able to do this. A quick troll with kdcop on a few
    applications didn't show anything obvious.

    If that's not possible, or is too hard, you can use the XTest extension
    to send fake mouse-motion and fake mouse-button presses to the X server.
    I assume you already have the coordinates of the window(s) where the
    files are. XTest has a C interface; I'm not sure whether there are any
    bindings for any other languages.

    > PS: It is for the program http://onefinger.sf.net, written in python.

    I tried that. Dark blue on black is not the worst color scheme in
    existence, but it is pretty damned bad. Make the default different, or
    at least get the user's preferences using the same mechanism that KDE
    uses (KDE Control Center->Appearance and Themes->Colors) so the
    background and the text will look appropriate.

    http://www.brainbench.com / Hire me!