Login timeout on xdm - to a default user. - X

This is a discussion on Login timeout on xdm - to a default user. - X ; I'd like to setup xdm so that if you leave it alone for a couple of minutes, it logs in as a default user, with minimal privs, but can run some programs in their enviroment. If you want to log ...

  1. Login timeout on xdm - to a default user.

    I'd like to setup xdm so that if you leave it alone for a couple of
    minutes, it logs in as a default user, with minimal privs, but can
    run some programs in their enviroment.

    If you want to log in as anyone, then you'd just hit ctrl-alt-backspace,
    and then login.
    Is there an easy way to do this?

  2. Re: Login timeout on xdm - to a default user.

    begin Ian Stirling dedi ki:

    > I'd like to setup xdm so that if you leave it alone for a couple of
    > minutes, it logs in as a default user, with minimal privs, but can
    > run some programs in their enviroment.
    >
    > If you want to log in as anyone, then you'd just hit ctrl-alt-backspace,
    > and then login.
    > Is there an easy way to do this?

    Create a "guest" user account, with password being also "guest". And set
    kdm up for:

    - No password needed to login as "guest".
    - By default, userid is always focused on "guest", regardless of previous
    session.

    So whenever kdm comes up, user is only needed to hit Enter or click on
    "Go" button. This both intuitive and simpler. There might be a way to do
    the same on xdm as well.

    P.S. An intuitive password is still needed for e.g. unlock the screen
    saver (just in case) etc.

    --
    Abdullah | aramazan@ |
    Ramazanoglu | myrealbox |

  3. Re: Login timeout on xdm - to a default user.

    Abdullah Ramazanoglu wrote:
    > begin Ian Stirling dedi ki:
    >
    >> I'd like to setup xdm so that if you leave it alone for a couple of
    >> minutes, it logs in as a default user, with minimal privs, but can
    >> run some programs in their enviroment.
    >>
    >> If you want to log in as anyone, then you'd just hit ctrl-alt-backspace,
    >> and then login.
    >> Is there an easy way to do this?

    > Create a "guest" user account, with password being also "guest". And set
    > kdm up for:
    >
    > - No password needed to login as "guest".
    > - By default, userid is always focused on "guest", regardless of previous
    > session.
    >
    > So whenever kdm comes up, user is only needed to hit Enter or click on
    > "Go" button. This both intuitive and simpler. There might be a way to do
    > the same on xdm as well.

    Good idea.
    I suspect there may be, but it'll probably involve adding a couple of
    resources for prefilled userid/password.
    I should have thought of looking at alternative *dm s.
    Thanks.

    > P.S. An intuitive password is still needed for e.g. unlock the screen
    > saver (just in case) etc.

    There will be no user accessible stuff that requires a password -
    including screen savers.

+ Reply to Thread