NEWBIE QUESTION: XServer wont start - X

This is a discussion on NEWBIE QUESTION: XServer wont start - X ; THE BACKGROUND: 1. I don't know anything ... in fact, I know less than nothing 2. Its a new install of Debian using the SARGE distro 3. Its rebuilt computer with 2 video cards in what i assume are PCI ...

  1. NEWBIE QUESTION: XServer wont start

    THE BACKGROUND:
    1. I don't know anything ... in fact, I know less than nothing
    2. Its a new install of Debian using the SARGE distro
    3. Its rebuilt computer with 2 video cards in what i assume are PCI
    slots 1 and 5 (I don't have a clue how to make sense of the lspci
    results)
    4. The video cards are ATI Diamond S80's 128mb (1 is AGP and the
    other PCI)
    5. running dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 does not resolve the
    problem
    6. I am believe i am using the 4.3 release of XFree86, which is part
    of the standard distro, and 4.4 does not appear to be available for
    Debian

    THE PROBLEM:
    When booting up, at the host login, the screen flashes and tells me
    that Xserver could not be started. Reviewing the logs in /var/logs
    does not reveal anything to my SEVERELY untrained eye, except it
    doesn't appear to like my video cards. Manually reviewing and
    tinkering with the XF86Config-4 in the /etc/X11 directory makes no
    difference.

    note: I have been VERY careful in my edits and currently have returned
    the file back to its original form.

    Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!!!

    the wondering nomad

  2. Re: NEWBIE QUESTION: XServer wont start

    On 18 Sep 2004 19:56:33 -0700, Matthew staggered into the Black Sun and
    said:
    > I don't know anything ... in fact, I know less than nothing

    That is the beginning of wisdom. Make sure you don't *stay* there,
    though.

    > Its a new install of Debian using the SARGE distro rebuilt computer
    > with 2 video cards (I don't have a clue how to make sense of the lspci
    > results)

    So post the output of "lspci | grep VGA".

    > The video cards are ATI Diamond S80's 128mb (1 is AGP and the
    > other PCI)

    And the video chipsets on these things are...? You can find that
    information out with lspci. Like so:

    samantha:~/News$ lspci | grep VGA
    0000:01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV5 [RIVA
    TNT2/TNT2 Pro] (rev 11)

    ....so I obviously want to use the "nv" or "nvidia" X server.

    > running dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 does not resolve the problem
    > I am believe i am using the 4.3 release of XFree86

    You may be believe wrong. "X -version" will tell you.

    > When booting up, at the host login, the screen flashes and tells me
    > that Xserver could not be started. Reviewing the logs in /var/logs
    > does not reveal anything to my SEVERELY untrained eye

    So find /var/log/XFree86*.log, post them on your webspace, follow up to
    this message with the URL, and someone will take a look at them.

    > Manually reviewing and tinkering with the XF86Config-4 in the /etc/X11
    > directory makes no difference.

    Post your current XF86Config file on your webspace and follow up with
    the URL, and someone will take a look at it too.

    http://www.brainbench.com / Hire me!

  3. Re: NEWBIE QUESTION: XServer wont start

    For those who might be joining us in the middle of this program let me
    explain ... actually ... let me summarize. I am a relative babe in
    the woods (though learning neat tricks by the minute) ... X-server
    won't start ... and here are the answers to diagnostic questions that
    I think i have managed to provide. If the security settings are wrong
    on my Yahoo briefcase then flog and fire the web master!!!

    After staggering around in the Black Sun, this is what i found ...

    http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/bc/4006d317...b8hTBBFQJzAfsY

    > And the video chipsets on these things are...?

    Radeon 9200SE (rev 1)

    > You may be believe wrong. "X -version" will tell you.

    XFree86 Version 4.3.0.1 (for once i was right)

    http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/bc/4006d317...b8hTBBFLRUTSaY

    > Post your current XF86Config file on your webspace and follow up with
    > the URL, and someone will take a look at it too.

    http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/bc/4006d317...b8hTBBFLRUTSaY

    Ok ... I think i have answered the first barrage of questions ... let
    the second bombardment commence!!!

    In all seriousness ... thanks for the help!

  4. Re: NEWBIE QUESTION: XServer wont start

    On 19 Sep 2004 17:02:12 -0700, Matthew staggered into the Black Sun and
    said:
    > Dances With Crows wrote:
    > For those who might be joining us in the middle of this program
    > [ problems with X with 1 AGP, 1 PCI Radeon cards in a Debian machine ]

    Haven't been on Usenet long, eh? The standard way to keep people up to
    date is to include context from previous posts. Include just enough to
    give people an idea; include Message-IDs from previous messages in the
    thread if really necessary.

    >> You may be believe wrong. "X -version" will tell you.

    > XFree86 Version 4.3.0.1 (for once i was right)

    That's good.

    >> So post the output of "lspci | grep VGA".
    >> So find /var/log/XFree86*.log, post them on your webspace
    >> Post your current XF86Config file on your webspace

    > http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/bc/4006d317_c2f2/bc/linux/
    > lspci+grep+VGA.txt?BCb8hTBBFQJzAfsY
    > http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/bc/4006d317_c2f2/bc/linux/
    > XFree86.0.log?BCb8hTBBFLRUTSaY
    > http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/bc/4006d317_c2f2/bc/linux/
    > XFree86.0.log?BCb8hTBBFLRUTSaY
    > If the security settings are wrong on my Yahoo briefcase then flog and
    > fire the web master!!!

    The links aren't working at all. "Connection timed out when attempting
    to contact bcvrf.yahoo.com ." I've never heard of this "Yahoo
    briefcase" and I'm not impressed by it just from the apparantly-useless
    CGI parameters required.

    By "your webspace", I meant "the 5 or 10 M of space most ISPs provide to
    their users; typically accessible with http://isp.example.com/~username
    ". Consult your ISP's FAQ for advice on uploading files to that space.
    If your ISP doesn't provide webspace, it's probably not a very good ISP.
    5 or 10 M isn't much, but it can be simpler than running your own
    webserver. If you have no other alternative, send the files to my
    e-mail (mind the SPAN TRAP) and I'll post them on my webspace and follow
    up with URLs for anyone who's interested.

    http://www.brainbench.com / Hire me!

  5. Re: NEWBIE QUESTION: XServer wont start

    > The links aren't working at all. "Connection timed out when attempting
    > to contact bcvrf.yahoo.com ." I've never heard of this "Yahoo
    > briefcase" and I'm not impressed by it just from the apparantly-useless
    > CGI parameters required.
    >
    > By "your webspace", I meant "the 5 or 10 M of space most ISPs provide to
    > their users; typically accessible with http://isp.example.com/~username
    > ". Consult your ISP's FAQ for advice on uploading files to that space.
    > If your ISP doesn't provide webspace, it's probably not a very good ISP.

    Well ... for better or worse ... Yahoo/SBC is my ISP (they provide my
    DSL service), and so I fall into the category of one of the faceless
    masses in the mega-superstore of ISPs.

    I am emailing the files so that we can continue the discussion and
    hopefully put my evil wanton windows ways behind me.

  6. Re: NEWBIE QUESTION: XServer wont start

    On 19 Sep 2004 23:13:37 -0700, Matthew staggered into the Black Sun and
    said:
    >> The links aren't working at all. "Connection timed out when
    >> attempting to contact bcvrf.yahoo.com ." I've never heard of this
    >> "Yahoo briefcase" and I'm not impressed by it
    >>
    >> By "your webspace", I meant "the 5 or 10 M of space most ISPs provide
    >> to their users; typically accessible with
    >> http://isp.example.com/~username ". Consult your ISP's FAQ for

    > Well ... for better or worse ... Yahoo/SBC is my ISP (they provide my
    > DSL service)

    SBC are a bunch of clueless wankers IME. YMMV. Yahoo used to be
    useful when it was a search engine/catalog of links. Now, they're just
    a second-rate Google.

    > I am emailing the files so that we can continue the discussion

    Check your inbox for bounces. This was sent many hours ago and there's
    nothing from you in my gmail inbox. The From: and Reply-To: are both
    accurate *if* you remove SPAN and TRAP from them, like my .signature
    says.

    http://www.brainbench.com / Hire me!

  7. Re: NEWBIE QUESTION: XServer wont start

    On 20 Sep 2004 14:35:50 GMT, Dances With Crows staggered into the Black
    Sun and said:
    > On 19 Sep 2004 23:13:37 -0700, Matthew staggered into the Black Sun
    > and said:
    >>> The links aren't working at all. "Connection timed out when
    >>> attempting to contact bcvrf.yahoo.com ." I've never heard of this

    >> Well ... for better or worse ... Yahoo/SBC is my ISP (they provide my
    >> DSL service)

    > SBC are a bunch of clueless wankers IME. YMMV.
    >> I am emailing the files so that we can continue the discussion

    OK, finally got the files. Here are the relevant sections:

    XF86Config :

    Section "Device"
    Identifier "Generic Video Card"
    Driver "radeon"
    BusID "PCI:0:1:0"
    VideoRam 128
    EndSection

    XFree86.0.log :
    (WW) RADEON: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:1:0:0)
    (WW) RADEON: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:2:12:0)
    (WW) RADEON: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:2:12:1)
    (EE) No devices detected.

    Why is there a BusID in your Device section? It's not correct according
    to the XFree86.0.log file. You want "PCI:1:0:0" or you just want to
    leave it out. Since both cards are the same chipset, you may actually
    need the BusID. VideoRam is almost always in K, not M, so if you really
    want to specify that, make that 131072.

    Also, there need to be 2 Device sections if you want to use both video
    cards at once, one for each video card, with proper BusIDs and different
    Identifiers. There also needs to be one Screen section for each
    connected monitor, and the ServerLayout section needs to be set up
    properly. If you haven't already, I suggest you go to http://tldp.org/
    and read the Xinerama-HOWTO, since that'll explain how to set up an
    XF86Config file for multiple monitors and possibly multiple graphics
    cards. HTH,

    http://www.brainbench.com / Hire me!