Nvidia TV-Out Problems - X

This is a discussion on Nvidia TV-Out Problems - X ; Hi, I'm having some trouble getting TV-Out working using xorg. I'm trying to set it up as two separate screens, I had this working previously but haven't been able to figure out why it's not working now since i upgraded ...

  1. Nvidia TV-Out Problems

    Hi,
    I'm having some trouble getting TV-Out working using xorg. I'm trying
    to set it up as two separate screens, I had this working previously but
    haven't been able to figure out why it's not working now since i upgraded
    to kernel 2.6.7 (if that's an issue at all). The nvidia drivers (I'm using
    a GF Ti4200 & latest Nvidia drivers) installed flawlessly and aside from
    the TV out everything works as it should. Also, I created a symbolic link
    to XF86Config and it's relevant log file in /var/log so I could install
    yanc and give it a try from there - yanc informed me on startup that "No
    TV-Encoder found. All TV-related contents will be deactivated."
    So I'd be gratefull if anyone could give me any pointers here. Thanks in
    advance.

    Below is the relevant contents of my xorg.conf file:

    Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Hansol"
    HorizSync 30.0 - 72.0
    VertRefresh 47-160
    EndSection

    Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "TV"
    HorizSync 30.0 - 50.0
    VertRefresh 60
    EndSection

    Section "Device"
    Identifier "nvidia0"
    Driver "nvidia"
    BusID "PCI:01:00:0"
    Screen 0
    EndSection

    Section "Device"
    Identifier "nvidia1"
    Driver "nvidia"
    BusId "PCI:01:00:0"
    Screen 1
    Option "TVOutFormat" "COMPOSITE"
    Option "TVStandard" "PAL I"
    EndSection

    Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Screen0"
    Device "nvidia0"
    Monitor "Hansol"
    DefaultDepth 24
    Subsection "Display"
    Depth 24
    Modes "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubsection
    EndSection

    Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Screen1"
    Device "nvidia1"
    Monitor "TV"
    DefaultDepth 16
    Subsection "Display"
    Depth 16
    Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    Depth 24
    Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubsection
    EndSection

    Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "TVCTX"
    Screen 0 "Screen0" RightOf "Screen1""
    EndSection

    Paul Mc

  2. Re: Nvidia TV-Out Problems

    Apologies for replying to my own post, but I noticed a mistake in my
    xorg.conf file "PAL I" should have read "PAL-I". I changed this and still
    have the same problem. Another issue I'm having is Switching VT's doesn't
    work. If I open a terminal on VT6, log in as root and type startx -- :1 I
    get my window manager loading as expected on VT8 but I cannot switch to
    VT7 and back to VT8 again without getting a blank screen on VT8 - VT7
    works fine, when I switch back to the promt where I started the second X
    session I get this: "XLIB: Extension "SHAPE" missing on display "1.0"."
    and I have to do CTRL-C to get back to the bash promt.

    Again, thanks for any help.

    Paul Mc

  3. Re: Nvidia TV-Out Problems

    Paul Mc wrote:

    > Apologies for replying to my own post, but I noticed a mistake in my
    > xorg.conf file "PAL I" should have read "PAL-I". I changed this and still
    > have the same problem. Another issue I'm having is Switching VT's doesn't
    > work. If I open a terminal on VT6, log in as root and type startx -- :1 I
    > get my window manager loading as expected on VT8 but I cannot switch to
    > VT7 and back to VT8 again without getting a blank screen on VT8 - VT7
    > works fine, when I switch back to the promt where I started the second X
    > session I get this: "XLIB: Extension "SHAPE" missing on display "1.0"."
    > and I have to do CTRL-C to get back to the bash promt.

    There is still a bug in the nVidia driver which redirects the console output
    to the TV-out.

    //Aho

  4. Re: Nvidia TV-Out Problems

    On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 09:04:16 +0200, J.O. Aho wrote:

    > There is still a bug in the nVidia driver which redirects the console
    > output to the TV-out.
    >

    > //Aho

    Hi,
    Thanks for your input.
    I now have a working X on each display (monitor and TV). I had to switch
    the port that the monitor was plugged into on the graphics card (why?!) I
    used a a DVI->VGA adaptor and plugged in the monitor, turned it on and hey
    presto - a picture on both screens; and now for some reason I can also
    have an x session on VT7 & VT8 and switch between them without
    hassle...The only issue I have now is when switching between X sessions,
    sometimes the display get's moved to the right a little leaving a
    black area along the left hand side of the screen - but I can live
    with that - a simple CTRL+ALT++or- fixes it.
    Anyone know why I had to change the port the monitor was plugged into to
    get this setup to work correctly?

    Paul Mc

  5. Re: Nvidia TV-Out Problems

    Paul Mc wrote:

    > I now have a working X on each display (monitor and TV). I had to switch
    > the port that the monitor was plugged into on the graphics card (why?!) I
    > used a a DVI->VGA adaptor and plugged in the monitor, turned it on and hey
    > presto - a picture on both screens; and now for some reason I can also
    > have an x session on VT7 & VT8 and switch between them without
    > hassle...The only issue I have now is when switching between X sessions,
    > sometimes the display get's moved to the right a little leaving a
    > black area along the left hand side of the screen - but I can live
    > with that - a simple CTRL+ALT++or- fixes it.
    > Anyone know why I had to change the port the monitor was plugged into to
    > get this setup to work correctly?

    Maybe you need some lines like:
    Option "ConnectedMonitors" "CRT,TV"

    to say which ports to use.

    //Aho

  6. Re: Nvidia TV-Out Problems

    On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 16:41:36 +0200, J.O. Aho wrote:

    > Maybe you need some lines like:
    > Option "ConnectedMonitors" "CRT,TV"
    >
    > to say which ports to use.
    >

    > //Aho

    That didn't seem to work, but anyhow it works as it is so i think I'll
    leave it for now.

+ Reply to Thread