What window managers will work on a 133MHz w/64Mb RAM? - X

This is a discussion on What window managers will work on a 133MHz w/64Mb RAM? - X ; Hi everyone, Only because I want to and not because I have to, I'm interested in finding a window manager that runs faster than molasses on a Cyrix 5x86 (roughly a Pentium 133) with 64Mb RAM. I have X/Gnome running ...

  1. What window managers will work on a 133MHz w/64Mb RAM?

    Hi everyone,

    Only because I want to and not because I have to, I'm interested in
    finding a window manager that runs faster than molasses on a Cyrix
    5x86 (roughly a Pentium 133) with 64Mb RAM. I have X/Gnome running on
    this box right now, but I don't need the eyecandy or the applets -
    just a basic window manager that can run a browser at 640x480x256.

    Does anyone here have any experience running window managers on a
    machine this old?

    Thanks for the insight,
    Isaac

    ---
    Do You Make $100K Per Year? Do You Work From Home? Do You Want To?
    http://www.globalsuccess2000.com/nonstop_income/

  2. Re: What window managers will work on a 133MHz w/64Mb RAM?

    On 17 Sep 2004 22:19:52 -0700,
    Isaac Grover wrote:
    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > Only because I want to and not because I have to, I'm interested in
    > finding a window manager that runs faster than molasses on a Cyrix
    > 5x86 (roughly a Pentium 133) with 64Mb RAM. I have X/Gnome running on
    > this box right now, but I don't need the eyecandy or the applets -
    > just a basic window manager that can run a browser at 640x480x256.
    >
    > Does anyone here have any experience running window managers on a
    > machine this old?

    try twm, fvwm, blackbox/fluxbox, rat poison, wm2, and on and on.

    poke around xwinman.org for other ideas.

    twm, fvwm ran fairly well on a 486-25SX I had a while back.

    good luck

    > Isaac
    >
    > ---
    > Do You Make $100K Per Year? Do You Work From Home? Do You Want To?
    > http://www.globalsuccess2000.com/nonstop_income/

  3. Re: What window managers will work on a 133MHz w/64Mb RAM?

    ephesys@myexcel.com (Isaac Grover) writes:
    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > Only because I want to and not because I have to, I'm interested in
    > finding a window manager that runs faster than molasses on a Cyrix
    > 5x86 (roughly a Pentium 133) with 64Mb RAM. I have X/Gnome running on
    > this box right now, but I don't need the eyecandy or the applets -
    > just a basic window manager that can run a browser at 640x480x256.
    >
    > Does anyone here have any experience running window managers on a
    > machine this old?

    yes. On one of my old machines, I use fvwm2. It's mostly a
    Slackware_9.1 system runing kernel 2.4.27.

    It's a 486 100MHz, 64MB ram, using SCSI disks. It's a very useable
    system. It is not painfully slow at all, as might be expected.

    Steve Whitlatch

    --
    "The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who
    in times of great moral crisis maintain their neutrality."

    from the "Divine Comedy" by Dante Alighieri

  4. Re: What window managers will work on a 133MHz w/64Mb RAM?

    Isaac Grover wrote:

    > Only because I want to and not because I have to, I'm interested in
    > finding a window manager that runs faster than molasses on a Cyrix
    > 5x86 (roughly a Pentium 133) with 64Mb RAM. I have X/Gnome running on
    > this box right now, but I don't need the eyecandy or the applets -
    > just a basic window manager that can run a browser at 640x480x256.
    >
    > Does anyone here have any experience running window managers on a
    > machine this old?

    Most WM and DE does work, but the more "advance" they are, the slower things
    will be. To speed up things, you could increase the amount of ram and of
    course a better graphics card does help a little in some cases too, but of
    course that would cost and with the prices on the old type of memory like SIMM
    modules, makes it cheaper to buy a new machine.

    I would suggest you switch the XFree86 to TinyX nad then a lightweight WM onto
    that, one that seems often to be missed is ctwm, quite similare to twm, but
    allows you to customize the look a lot more and has some more features.

    Screenshot: http://www.kotiaho.net/~trizt/tmpimg...x-20040620.png

    //Aho

  5. Re: What window managers will work on a 133MHz w/64Mb RAM?

    Op Fri, 17 Sep 2004 22:19:52 -0700, schreef Isaac Grover de volgende
    woorden:

    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > Only because I want to and not because I have to, I'm interested in
    > finding a window manager that runs faster than molasses on a Cyrix
    > 5x86 (roughly a Pentium 133) with 64Mb RAM. I have X/Gnome running on
    > this box right now, but I don't need the eyecandy or the applets -
    > just a basic window manager that can run a browser at 640x480x256.
    >
    > Does anyone here have any experience running window managers on a
    > machine this old?
    >
    > Thanks for the insight,
    > Isaac

    iceWM or Windowmaker (which I use, even on my 'fast' machines) are very
    nice.

    Dirk

    --
    Richard M. Stallman, Linus Torvalds, and Donald E. Knuth engage in a discussion
    on whose impact on the computerized world was the greatest.

  6. Re: What window managers will work on a 133MHz w/64Mb RAM?

    On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 22:19:52 -0700, Isaac Grover wrote:
    > Only because I want to and not because I have to, I'm interested in
    > finding a window manager that runs faster than molasses on a Cyrix
    > 5x86 (roughly a Pentium 133) with 64Mb RAM...

    I am also using fvwm2 on a POPD 83MHz Pentium OverDrive. It is no speed
    daemon, but it is not too bad. My usual access is via ssh from a real
    desktop and I can tunnel my X11 traffic for remote display. Works great.

    --
    Juhan Leemet
    Logicognosis, Inc.

+ Reply to Thread