system crashing on X logout - X

This is a discussion on system crashing on X logout - X ; After upgrading to Fedora 2, my system crashes (with no syslog messages) just after a user logs out of a graphical session. There are no obvious problems until a user logs out. Any ideas? The video card is an ATI ...

  1. system crashing on X logout

    After upgrading to Fedora 2, my system crashes (with no syslog messages)
    just after a user logs out of a graphical session. There are no obvious
    problems until a user logs out.

    Any ideas? The video card is an ATI Rage 128 Pro Ultra.

    Bob T.

  2. Re: system crashing on X logout

    Bob Tennent wrote:
    > After upgrading to Fedora 2, my system crashes (with no syslog messages)
    > just after a user logs out of a graphical session. There are no obvious
    > problems until a user logs out.
    >
    > Any ideas? The video card is an ATI Rage 128 Pro Ultra.

    You using KDE (the KDM login manager)?
    Try to use GMD as the login manager and see if you will get rid of the crashes.

    //Aho

  3. Re: system crashing on X logout

    On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 19:16:57 +0200, J.O. Aho wrote:

    >> After upgrading to Fedora 2, my system crashes (with no syslog messages)
    >> just after a user logs out of a graphical session. There are no obvious
    >> problems until a user logs out.
    >>
    >> Any ideas? The video card is an ATI Rage 128 Pro Ultra.

    > You using KDE (the KDM login manager)?
    > Try to use GMD as the login manager and see if you will get rid of the crashes.

    I'm using gdm. Also, I forgot to mention that I've applied all updates.

    Bob T.

  4. Re: system crashing on X logout

    On 17 Sep 2004 17:51:00 GMT, Bob Tennent wrote:

    > >> After upgrading to Fedora 2, my system crashes (with no syslog messages)
    > >> just after a user logs out of a graphical session. There are no obvious
    > >> problems until a user logs out.
    > >>
    > >> Any ideas? The video card is an ATI Rage 128 Pro Ultra.

    > > You using KDE (the KDM login manager)?
    > > Try to use GMD as the login manager and see if you will get rid of the crashes.

    > I'm using gdm.

    After replying, it dawned on me that you were really suggesting trying
    *another* display manager. So I switched to kdm: same result.

    Bob T.

  5. Re: system crashing on X logout

    Bob Tennent wrote:

    > > > You using KDE (the KDM login manager)?
    > > > Try to use GMD as the login manager and see if you will get rid of the crashes.

    > > I'm using gdm.

    > After replying, it dawned on me that you were really suggesting trying
    > *another* display manager. So I switched to kdm: same result.

    What driver do you use for your card?
    Do you have a link to your xorf.config or XF86Config?

    //Aho

+ Reply to Thread