remove gui - X

This is a discussion on remove gui - X ; i not too long ago started using linux, and i setup a linux box to act as a file server, in doin so i installed the gui because i wasn't too familiar with the command line style, well after login ...

  1. remove gui

    i not too long ago started using linux, and i setup a linux box to act
    as a file server, in doin so i installed the gui because i wasn't too
    familiar with the command line style, well after login into the
    computer via SSH, i have now learned how to do pretty much everything
    using command line, and so i never need to goto the actual computer no
    more, instead i do everything remotely. So now i would like to remove
    the gui completely from the comptuer because it's just hoggin
    resources rite now. What's the safest and most recommended way of doin
    this via SSH, im fimiliar with YUM and APT-GET. I am also aware of the
    "add/remove programs" applet, but i would like to do it via SSH.

  2. Re: remove gui

    Avi wrote:
    > i not too long ago started using linux, and i setup a linux box to act
    > as a file server, in doin so i installed the gui because i wasn't too
    > familiar with the command line style, well after login into the
    > computer via SSH, i have now learned how to do pretty much everything
    > using command line, and so i never need to goto the actual computer no
    > more, instead i do everything remotely. So now i would like to remove
    > the gui completely from the comptuer because it's just hoggin
    > resources rite now. What's the safest and most recommended way of doin
    > this via SSH, im fimiliar with YUM and APT-GET. I am also aware of the
    > "add/remove programs" applet, but i would like to do it via SSH.

    Edit /etc/inittab, where you find a line:

    id:5:initdefault:

    modify it to

    id:3:initdefault:

    save /etc/inittab and next time you reboot you will not start X11.

    If you want to remove the files that has with X11 to do, then do a

    rpm -e XFree86

    You will get a long list of packages that depends on XFree86 (if you have a
    distro that uses x.org, then change the name to Xorg). Make a huge string with
    all the package names

    rpm -e Xfree86 Gnome2 ...

    and then wait, all graphical programs and the X environment will be
    uninstalled and you have freed maybe 1G of harddisk space.

    //Aho

  3. Re: remove gui

    i did wat u said, but i tink kde is still installed, because when i
    create a new user, a .kde folder is created asd well, how do i
    completely remove kde as well, and gnome too which i tink is still
    there.

    "J.O. Aho" wrote in message news:<2r0k59F13imgmU1@uni-berlin.de>...
    > Avi wrote:
    > > i not too long ago started using linux, and i setup a linux box to act
    > > as a file server, in doin so i installed the gui because i wasn't too
    > > familiar with the command line style, well after login into the
    > > computer via SSH, i have now learned how to do pretty much everything
    > > using command line, and so i never need to goto the actual computer no
    > > more, instead i do everything remotely. So now i would like to remove
    > > the gui completely from the comptuer because it's just hoggin
    > > resources rite now. What's the safest and most recommended way of doin
    > > this via SSH, im fimiliar with YUM and APT-GET. I am also aware of the
    > > "add/remove programs" applet, but i would like to do it via SSH.

    > Edit /etc/inittab, where you find a line:
    >
    > id:5:initdefault:
    >
    > modify it to
    >
    > id:3:initdefault:
    >
    > save /etc/inittab and next time you reboot you will not start X11.
    >
    > If you want to remove the files that has with X11 to do, then do a
    >
    > rpm -e XFree86
    >
    > You will get a long list of packages that depends on XFree86 (if you have a
    > distro that uses x.org, then change the name to Xorg). Make a huge string with
    > all the package names
    >
    > rpm -e Xfree86 Gnome2 ...
    >
    > and then wait, all graphical programs and the X environment will be
    > uninstalled and you have freed maybe 1G of harddisk space.
    >

    > //Aho

+ Reply to Thread