Adding a new menu to RedHat 9 GNOME/KDE - X

This is a discussion on Adding a new menu to RedHat 9 GNOME/KDE - X ; Does anyone know how to add a new submenu to the main menu in GNOME/KDE? I've worked out how to create a .desktop file to add entries to existing menus, but I can't get a new menu to appear. For ...

  1. Adding a new menu to RedHat 9 GNOME/KDE

    Does anyone know how to add a new submenu to the main menu in GNOME/KDE?
    I've worked out how to create a .desktop file to add entries to existing
    menus, but I can't get a new menu to appear. For example, I'd like a
    "Local Programs" menu above the Accessories menu. I've created a
    Local.directory in /usr/share/desktop-menu-files and added an entry to
    /etc/X11/desktop-menus/applications.menu but nothing appears. A working
    example I could copy would be great, or some way to turn off all this
    XML/VFS/whatever crap and go back to a clean, simple and working directory
    tree to specify menus.

    Michael Gordon

  2. Re: Adding a new menu to RedHat 9 GNOME/KDE

    On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 11:46:53 +0000 (UTC), Michael F Gordon staggered
    into the Black Sun and said:
    > Does anyone know how to add a new submenu to the main menu in
    > GNOME/KDE?

    paganini:~/.kde/share/applnk$ mkdir FOOBAR
    paganini:~/.kde/share/applnk$ cp localapplication.desktop FOOBAR

    ....creates a directory FOOBAR in the K menu of KDE, then copies the
    localapplication.desktop file to FOOBAR. End result is a submenu called
    FOOBAR with one application link in it. KDE 3.2, Gentoo, and you're
    using Redhat with an older KDE... Redhat always liked GNOME better, so
    their KDE may not work quite right.

    > I've worked out how to create a .desktop file to add entries to
    > existing menus, but I can't get a new menu to appear.

    Take the steps outlined above, or right-click on the K menu, choose
    "menu editor", pick File->New Submenu from the menu bar, drag
    applications to your new submenu.

    > I'd like a "Local Programs" menu above the Accessories menu. I've
    > created a Local.directory in /usr/share/desktop-menu-files and added
    > an entry to /etc/X11/desktop-menus/applications.menu but nothing
    > appears.

    That's definitely not where KDE keeps its configuration. Were you
    trying this with GNOME? I like KDE much better than GNOME, so my GNOME
    knowledge is pretty minimal.

    > example I could copy would be great, or some way to turn off all this
    > XML/VFS/whatever crap and go back to a clean, simple and working
    > directory tree to specify menus.

    KDE's always kept its stuff in directory trees. You *don't* want to
    turn VFS off, at least not the kernel VFS--GNOME VFS is different and
    I've never used it. Where does XML fit into this? KDE doesn't use XML
    for its menu configuration that I can see; .desktop files are very
    similar to .INI files and/or the Samba config file.

    http://www.brainbench.com / Hire me!

  3. Re: Adding a new menu to RedHat 9 GNOME/KDE

    Michael F Gordon wrote:

    > A working
    > example I could copy would be great, or some way to turn off all this
    > XML/VFS/whatever crap and go back to a clean, simple and working directory
    > tree to specify menus.

    See
    http://freedesktop.org/Standards/menu-spec

    -- Rex

  4. Re: Adding a new menu to RedHat 9 GNOME/KDE

    Dances With Crows writes:
    >Redhat always liked GNOME better, so
    >their KDE may not work quite right.

    RedHat 9 tries to unify GNOME and KDE, which basically seems to mean
    infesting KDE with all the layers of pointless broken bloat that GNOME
    has. There's a common directory of .desktop files, a set of XML files
    that describe how to construct the menus from them, some gnome-vfs
    magic that I don't understand, and god knows what else instead of a
    simple directory tree -> menu mapping.

    >Take the steps outlined above, or right-click on the K menu, choose
    >"menu editor", pick File->New Submenu from the menu bar, drag
    >applications to your new submenu.

    I want to do this for everyone and on both KDE and GNOME, so it has to
    go in the system directories. It also has to be done programatically
    so that it can be part of our automated install.

    Michael

  5. Re: Adding a new menu to RedHat 9 GNOME/KDE

    Rex Dieter writes:
    >http://freedesktop.org/Standards/menu-spec

    I found that through google. RedHat's applications.menu is similar,
    but not quite what's documented there. I've tried cloning an entry
    in applications.menu and changing the names, but I'm obviously missing
    something else that RedHat requires to make the menus appear.

    Michael

  6. Re: Adding a new menu to RedHat 9 GNOME/KDE

    Michael F Gordon wrote:
    > Does anyone know how to add a new submenu to the main menu in GNOME/KDE?
    > I've worked out how to create a .desktop file to add entries to existing
    > menus, but I can't get a new menu to appear. For example, I'd like a
    > "Local Programs" menu above the Accessories menu. I've created a
    > Local.directory in /usr/share/desktop-menu-files and added an entry to
    > /etc/X11/desktop-menus/applications.menu but nothing appears. A working
    > example I could copy would be great, or some way to turn off all this
    > XML/VFS/whatever crap and go back to a clean, simple and working directory
    > tree to specify menus.

    KDE is quite easy, start the control center (from the KDE menu) and select
    Desktop/Panel/Menus and press "Edit K Menu".

    Gnome2 was in it's early days released without any menu editing tool, do a
    search on google and you will find work arounds for creating menu entries.

+ Reply to Thread