--display for Fedora Core 2 new Xorg server - X

This is a discussion on --display for Fedora Core 2 new Xorg server - X ; I am trying to get something working that I was able to do prior to upgrading from the older X11 on Redhat to Fedora Core 2. I used to be able to go to one machine (call it "right"), and ...

  1. --display for Fedora Core 2 new Xorg server

    I am trying to get something working that I was able to do prior to
    upgrading from the older X11 on Redhat to Fedora Core 2. I used to be
    able to go to one machine (call it "right"), and type in "xhost +left"
    (where "left" is the other machine). Then on "left" I could do:
    konsole -display right:0.0

    That would let me bring up display on "right" of a konsole terminal.

    I've set up the firewall right, and in fact have tried this with
    firewalling disabled. I can ping the machines, networking seems to be
    up. It appears that the xhost command is accepted without error. But it
    never allows any remote display at all. It acts like nothing is
    listening on the TCP 6000 port. What else must be done to get normal
    remote display working?

  2. Re: --display for Fedora Core 2 new Xorg server

    N. O. Spam wrote:
    > I am trying to get something working that I was able to do prior to
    > upgrading from the older X11 on Redhat to Fedora Core 2. I used to be
    > able to go to one machine (call it "right"), and type in "xhost +left"
    > (where "left" is the other machine). Then on "left" I could do:
    > konsole -display right:0.0

    usually that depnds on the application you are using, not all does carew about
    the option, better way should be

    DISPLAY=right:0.0 konsole

    > I've set up the firewall right, and in fact have tried this with
    > firewalling disabled. I can ping the machines, networking seems to be
    > up. It appears that the xhost command is accepted without error. But it
    > never allows any remote display at all. It acts like nothing is
    > listening on the TCP 6000 port. What else must be done to get normal
    > remote display working?

    Enabel X11Forward on the SSH server and SSH client?

    //Aho

  3. Re: --display for Fedora Core 2 new Xorg server

    J.O. Aho wrote:
    > N. O. Spam wrote:
    >
    >> I am trying to get something working that I was able to do prior to
    >> upgrading from the older X11 on Redhat to Fedora Core 2. I used to be
    >> able to go to one machine (call it "right"), and type in "xhost +left"
    >> (where "left" is the other machine). Then on "left" I could do:
    >> konsole -display right:0.0

    > usually that depnds on the application you are using, not all does carew
    > about the option, better way should be
    >
    > DISPLAY=right:0.0 konsole

    All syntax fails. I had some aliases set up in the shell to open things
    conveniently, and those all worked in the past, but now fail saying
    unable to open display.

    >> I've set up the firewall right, and in fact have tried this with
    >> firewalling disabled. I can ping the machines, networking seems to be
    >> up. It appears that the xhost command is accepted without error. But
    >> it never allows any remote display at all. It acts like nothing is
    >> listening on the TCP 6000 port. What else must be done to get normal
    >> remote display working?

    > Enabel X11Forward on the SSH server and SSH client?

    This is all local on a private network that does't touch the Ineternet,
    and is done without SSH. Just direct machine to machine, no tunneling,
    no proxy, so on. It goes straight to the port 6000 TCP. Unfortunately it
    looks like the TCP port is not running, but can't figure out why.

  4. Re: --display for Fedora Core 2 new Xorg server

    N. O. Spam wrote:
    > I am trying to get something working that I was able to do prior to
    > upgrading from the older X11 on Redhat to Fedora Core 2. I used to be
    > able to go to one machine (call it "right"), and type in "xhost +left"
    > (where "left" is the other machine). Then on "left" I could do:
    > konsole -display right:0.0
    >
    > That would let me bring up display on "right" of a konsole terminal.
    >
    > I've set up the firewall right, and in fact have tried this with
    > firewalling disabled. I can ping the machines, networking seems to be
    > up. It appears that the xhost command is accepted without error. But it
    > never allows any remote display at all. It acts like nothing is
    > listening on the TCP 6000 port. What else must be done to get normal
    > remote display working?

    Solved.

    The file setting DisallowTCP=true used to default to NOT disallowed if
    this statement was commented out. It appears now that commenting the
    statement out causes TCP to be disallowed, and that it must be
    explicitly set to DisallowTCP=false.

+ Reply to Thread