My Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse with Tilt Wheel Technology. - X

This is a discussion on My Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse with Tilt Wheel Technology. - X ; Hi. I have SuSE Linux 8.2 installed on my computer. I also have a Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse with Tilt Wheel Technology that I'd like to get running on my Linux computer. Unfortunately, there is no mouse listed in YAST2 ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28

  1. My Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse with Tilt Wheel Technology.

    Hi.

    I have SuSE Linux 8.2 installed on my computer. I also have a
    Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse with Tilt Wheel Technology that I'd
    like to get running on my Linux computer. Unfortunately, there is no
    mouse listed in YAST2 that matches my mouse. I chose the closest one
    I could find, and it works but the "Tilt Wheel" doesn't. In other
    words I can scroll vertically just fine, but the side to side
    scrolling doesn't work.

    I need the tilt wheel to work because I do a lot of side scrolling due
    to my small monitor. I installed my mouse on Windows and here is what
    Microsoft calls it: "Wireless Optical Mouse 2.0". I just need it to
    work on my linux box.

    Here is my mouse's website if that would help you see what tilt wheel
    is:

    http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mo...s.aspx?pid=005

    I suspect getting my tilt wheel to work involves editing some files,
    but I have no clue on how to edit them to get my tilt wheel to work.
    If anyone has this mouse and has gotten it to work under linux
    flawlessly, please help me.

    Thank you all in advance.

  2. Re: My Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse with Tilt Wheel Technology.

    On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 14:21:55 -0700, Mike Cox wrote:

    > Hi.
    >
    > I have SuSE Linux 8.2 installed on my computer.

    Considering your posting history, including that "Christians Against
    Communist Software" bull**** (or whatever it was) that you pulled....I
    seriously doubt your claim of running SuSE Linux. You'd never touch
    anything but your beloved Windows.

  3. Re: My Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse with Tilt Wheel Technology.

    "Liam Slider" wrote in message
    newsan.2004.09.11.21.58.01.96026@NOSPAM.liamslider.com ...
    > On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 14:21:55 -0700, Mike Cox wrote:
    >
    > > Hi.
    > >
    > > I have SuSE Linux 8.2 installed on my computer.

    > Considering your posting history, including that "Christians Against
    > Communist Software" bull**** (or whatever it was) that you pulled....I
    > seriously doubt your claim of running SuSE Linux. You'd never touch
    > anything but your beloved Windows.

    I do run suse linux. I need my Microsoft Mouse to work on it though.

  4. Re: My Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse with Tilt Wheel Technology.

    begin "Mike Cox" dedi ki:
    > "Liam Slider" wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 14:21:55 -0700, Mike Cox wrote:

    --8<--

    > I do run suse linux. I need my Microsoft Mouse to work on it though.

    Then may I suggest that your post is most relevant when it's confined to
    c.o.l.x and some SuSE NG?

    --
    Abdullah | aramazan@ |
    Ramazanoglu | myrealbox |

  5. Re: My Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse with Tilt Wheel Technology.

    news:3d6111f1.0409111321.d508350@posting.google.co m...

    http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mo...ils.aspx?pid=0
    05

    > I suspect getting my tilt wheel to work involves editing some files,
    > but I have no clue on how to edit them to get my tilt wheel to work.
    > If anyone has this mouse and has gotten it to work under linux
    > flawlessly, please help me.

    Ok. I did some research. I think I need to edit my /etc/X11/F86Config file.
    How do I tell that file that I have a scroll wheel that goes left and right
    horizontally? What I've done so far in my mouse section:

    Option ZAxisMapping = " 4 5"
    //the following is what I've added
    Option XAxisMapping = " 6 7"

    Doesn't get my scroll wheel moving horizontally though... Are there are any
    experts in configuring X who can help me? I'm out of ideas and ready to
    smash my linux machine into the wall.

  6. Re: My Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse with Tilt Wheel Technology.

    Mike Cox wrote:

    > Hi.
    >
    > I have SuSE Linux 8.2 installed on my computer. I also have a
    > Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse with Tilt Wheel Technology that I'd
    > like to get running on my Linux computer. Unfortunately, there is no

    Unfortunately you are an M$ astro turfer.
    A person like you would be classed stupid by support
    guys for buying vendor lock in products.
    May you shouldn't be allowed to buy incompatible PC products made by
    M$, because when M$ goes under, your hardware will not be supported,
    and because the products you recommend to buy into your company,
    you haven't tested for generic support before buying.
    A walking tool like you could drive a company to the
    ground with bad untested vendor locked in purchasing decisions.

  7. Re: My Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse with Tilt Wheel Technology.

    Mike Cox wrote:

    http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mo...s.aspx?pid=005

    > I suspect getting my tilt wheel to work involves editing some files,
    > but I have no clue on how to edit them to get my tilt wheel to work.
    > If anyone has this mouse and has gotten it to work under linux
    > flawlessly, please help me.
    >
    > Thank you all in advance.

    Why don't you contact Microsoft support and see if they make Linux drivers
    for it ?

    --
    http://home.earthlink.net/~jabailo

  8. Re: My Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse with Tilt Wheel Technology.

    Dear Microsoft Hardware newsgroup,

    The user below cannot make your mouse work under the standard Suse/Linux OS.

    Does Microsoft provide drivers for its customer base that are Linux
    compatible.

    Also, this article, seems to suggest that many people have problems with
    this mouse, even with XP. Is it a defective or unusable product?

    http://groups.google.com/groups?q=mi...phx.gbl&rnum=3

    "
    From: Rob (anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com)
    Subject: Microsoft mouse
    Original Format
    Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
    Date: 2004-06-29 02:52:05 PST

    I have recently bought a new microsoft optical
    mouse "blue" and trying to install the software but get a
    error message saying "error 1324. The path Documents and
    Settings contains an invalid character". My operatindg
    system is windows XP. Has anyone else had the same
    problem and know how to resolve it?
    "

    Mike Cox wrote:

    > "Mike Cox" wrote in message
    > news:3d6111f1.0409111321.d508350@posting.google.co m...
    >> Hi.
    >>
    >> I have SuSE Linux 8.2 installed on my computer. I also have a
    >> Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse with Tilt Wheel Technology that I'd
    >> like to get running on my Linux computer. Unfortunately, there is no
    >> mouse listed in YAST2 that matches my mouse. I chose the closest one
    >> I could find, and it works but the "Tilt Wheel" doesn't. In other
    >> words I can scroll vertically just fine, but the side to side
    >> scrolling doesn't work.
    >>
    >> I need the tilt wheel to work because I do a lot of side scrolling due
    >> to my small monitor. I installed my mouse on Windows and here is what
    >> Microsoft calls it: "Wireless Optical Mouse 2.0". I just need it to
    >> work on my linux box.
    >>
    >> Here is my mouse's website if that would help you see what tilt wheel
    >> is:

    http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mo...ils.aspx?pid=0
    > 05
    >>
    >> I suspect getting my tilt wheel to work involves editing some files,
    >> but I have no clue on how to edit them to get my tilt wheel to work.
    >> If anyone has this mouse and has gotten it to work under linux
    >> flawlessly, please help me.

    > Ok. I did some research. I think I need to edit my /etc/X11/F86Config
    > file. How do I tell that file that I have a scroll wheel that goes left
    > and right
    > horizontally? What I've done so far in my mouse section:
    >
    > Option ZAxisMapping = " 4 5"
    > //the following is what I've added
    > Option XAxisMapping = " 6 7"
    >
    > Doesn't get my scroll wheel moving horizontally though... Are there are
    > any
    > experts in configuring X who can help me? I'm out of ideas and ready to
    > smash my linux machine into the wall.

    --
    http://home.earthlink.net/~jabailo

  9. Re: My Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse with Tilt Wheel Technology.

    Mike Cox wrote:

    / ...

    >> Considering your posting history, including that "Christians Against
    >> Communist Software" bull**** (or whatever it was) that you pulled....I
    >> seriously doubt your claim of running SuSE Linux. You'd never touch
    >> anything but your beloved Windows.

    > I do run suse linux.

    More lies. Read his header:

    Paul Lutus
    http://www.arachnoid.com

  10. Re: My Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse with Tilt Wheel Technology.

    On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 14:21:55 -0700, Mike Cox wrote:

    > I suspect getting my tilt wheel to work involves editing some files, but
    > I have no clue on how to edit them to get my tilt wheel to work. If
    > anyone has this mouse and has gotten it to work under linux flawlessly,
    > please help me.

    You probably will have to find out what the scancodes are for the port and
    starboard events of the device and map them to the appropriate scroll
    functions.

    Alternatively, you maybe able to get by just by adding a couple extra
    buttons in the pointing device section of XF86Config-4 and doing the
    mapping from there.

    Sorry for the generic roadmap, but at least it's something to point you in
    the right direction. Google should provide specifics and howto.

    --
    rapskat - 13:58:53 up 2 days, 17:57, 5 users, load average: 0.29, 0.29, 0.24
    oh noooo, Knghtbrd's got a gun

  11. Re: My Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse with Tilt Wheel Technology.

    Error BR-549: MS DRM 1.0 rejects the following post from Mike Cox:

    > I have SuSE Linux 8.2 installed on my computer. I also have a
    > Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse with Tilt Wheel Technology that I'd
    > like to get running on my Linux computer. Unfortunately, there is no
    > mouse listed in YAST2 that matches my mouse. I chose the closest one
    > I could find, and it works but the "Tilt Wheel" doesn't. In other
    > words I can scroll vertically just fine, but the side to side
    > scrolling doesn't work.

    Google or read man pages for the following:

    xmodmap
    xsetpointer
    xev
    ZAxisMapping

    xev is neat. Run it in an xterm. It will open a window and display the raw
    mouse events in the xterm window. You might be able to figure out what events
    the "tilt wheel" generates.

    That is, if you're serious.

    --
    [X] Check here to always trust content from Lin°nut

  12. Re: My Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse with Tilt Wheel Technology.

    Paul Lutus wrote in message news:<10k7prg5j8hm2e4@corp.supernews.com>...
    > Mike Cox wrote:
    >
    > / ...
    >
    > >> Considering your posting history, including that "Christians Against
    > >> Communist Software" bull**** (or whatever it was) that you pulled....I
    > >> seriously doubt your claim of running SuSE Linux. You'd never touch
    > >> anything but your beloved Windows.

    > > I do run suse linux.

    > More lies. Read his header:

    Fool. I dual boot. My SuSE box doesn't connect to my ISP for some
    reason. Kinternet doesn't know how to communicate with my ISP for some
    reason. I also have a problem with my new mouse where it doesn't do
    the side scrolling.

  13. Re: My Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse with Tilt Wheel Technology.

    John Bailo wrote in message news:<3GO0d.891$_G4.542@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net>...
    > Dear Microsoft Hardware newsgroup,
    >
    > The user below cannot make your mouse work under the standard Suse/Linux OS.
    >
    > Does Microsoft provide drivers for its customer base that are Linux
    > compatible.
    >
    > Also, this article, seems to suggest that many people have problems with
    > this mouse, even with XP. Is it a defective or unusable product?

    My Microsoft Optical Wireless mouse with Tilt Wheel technology works
    just fine under Windows 2000. I dual boot into SuSE, and my mouse
    works for the most part except the part that I want most, the reason I
    bought the mouse, the "tilt wheel" doesn't function.

    I suspect that there may be some command that I can put in my
    /etc/X11/XF86Config file that will magically make my mouse work. My
    mouse in total has 7 functions. It has the (1) Left and (2) Right
    mouse button, (3) The scroll button is clickable, (4) Scroll Up, (5)
    Scroll down, (6) Scroll Right, (7) Scroll Left.

  14. Re: My Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse with Tilt Wheel Technology.

    On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 13:20:17 -0700, Mike Cox wrote:

    > Fool. I dual boot. My SuSE box doesn't connect to my ISP for some
    > reason. Kinternet doesn't know how to communicate with my ISP for some
    > reason.

    I can only think that you've configured it improperly.

  15. Re: My Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse with Tilt Wheel Technology.

    Mike Cox wrote:

    > My Microsoft Optical Wireless mouse with Tilt Wheel technology works
    > just fine under Windows 2000.

    Unlike the xp user, who experienced extreme GPF problems.

    Convert to Suse 9.1.

    --
    http://home.earthlink.net/~jabailo

  16. Re: My Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse with Tilt Wheel Technology.

    "GreyCloud" wrote in message
    newsqOdnUgAGckPetncRVn-sw@bresnan.com...

    > Mike Cox wrote:
    >
    > > John Bailo wrote in message

    > >>Dear Microsoft Hardware newsgroup,
    > >>
    > >>The user below cannot make your mouse work under the standard Suse/Linux

    OS.

    > >>Does Microsoft provide drivers for its customer base that are Linux
    > >>compatible.
    > >>
    > >>Also, this article, seems to suggest that many people have problems with
    > >>this mouse, even with XP. Is it a defective or unusable product?

    > > My Microsoft Optical Wireless mouse with Tilt Wheel technology

    > Is manufactured by M$. What did you expect it to work with? A big IBM
    > mainframe?

    I expect it to work under linux because those Linux guys seem to be able to
    get Linux to run on everything. Or it just seems that way from the slashdot
    posts. Xbox, toaster, cell phone, slashdot has a post about linux running
    them.

    I thought that since Microsoft mice are in the majority, that linux advocate
    would have gotten my wireless optical mouse with trackball technology to
    work under Linux.

    I was wrong though.

  17. Re: My Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse with Tilt Wheel Technology.

    On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 19:55:29 -0700, Mike Cox wrote:

    > "GreyCloud" wrote in message
    > newsqOdnUgAGckPetncRVn-sw@bresnan.com...
    >>

    >> Mike Cox wrote:
    >>
    >> > John Bailo wrote in message

    > OS.

    >> > My Microsoft Optical Wireless mouse with Tilt Wheel technology

    >> Is manufactured by M$. What did you expect it to work with? A big IBM
    >> mainframe?

    > I expect it to work under linux because those Linux guys seem to be able to
    > get Linux to run on everything. Or it just seems that way from the slashdot
    > posts. Xbox, toaster, cell phone, slashdot has a post about linux running
    > them.
    >
    > I thought that since Microsoft mice are in the majority, that linux advocate
    > would have gotten my wireless optical mouse with trackball technology to
    > work under Linux.
    >
    > I was wrong though.

    Why do you expect a device that was made by micro$oft for use with window$
    to be useable under another OS?

    --
    Rick

  18. Re: My Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse with Tilt Wheel Technology.

    Mike Cox wrote:
    > I expect it to work under linux because those Linux guys seem to be able to
    > get Linux to run on everything. Or it just seems that way from the slashdot
    > posts. Xbox, toaster, cell phone, slashdot has a post about linux running
    > them.

    Linux in a toaster: I'm interested. It's cool.

    > I thought that since Microsoft mice are in the majority, that linux advocate
    > would have gotten my wireless optical mouse with trackball technology to
    > work under Linux.

    Using your crappy mouse with Linux: I'm not interested.

    > I was wrong though.

    Or maybe you are asking in the wrong newsgroup.

    --

    Jose Maria Lopez Hernandez
    Director Tecnico de bgSEC

    like fabulous yellow Roman candles.
    -- Jack Kerouac, "On the Road"

  19. Re: My Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse with Tilt Wheel Technology.

    ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.advocacy.]
    On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 16:36:55 +0200, Jose Maria Lopez Hernandez wrote:
    > Mike Cox wrote:
    >> I expect it to work under linux because those Linux guys seem to be able to
    >> get Linux to run on everything. Or it just seems that way from the slashdot
    >> posts. Xbox, toaster, cell phone, slashdot has a post about linux running
    >> them.

    > Linux in a toaster: I'm interested. It's cool.

    Did you ever see that toaster that dude made that downloads the weather
    from some service and stamps your toast with either a sun or a raindrop,
    depending on the forecast?

    --
    FreeBSD 4.8-RELEASE i386
    12:55PM up 2 days, 19:18, 1 user, load averages: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

  20. Re: My Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse with Tilt Wheel Technology.

    Rick wrote:

    > Why do you expect a device that was made by micro$oft for use with
    > window$ to be useable under another OS?

    Because it's a mouse. Mice are supposed to be platform-independent. I cannot
    think of any other company but Microsoft who would make one that isn't.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast