My Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse with Tilt Wheel Technology. - X

This is a discussion on My Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse with Tilt Wheel Technology. - X ; On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 00:01:29 +0000, Dale Richards wrote: > Rick wrote: > >> Why do you expect a device that was made by micro$oft for use with >> window$ to be useable under another OS? > > Because ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 28 of 28

  1. Re: My Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse with Tilt Wheel Technology.

    On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 00:01:29 +0000, Dale Richards wrote:

    > Rick wrote:
    >
    >> Why do you expect a device that was made by micro$oft for use with
    >> window$ to be useable under another OS?

    > Because it's a mouse. Mice are supposed to be platform-independent. I cannot
    > think of any other company but Microsoft who would make one that isn't.

    My Logitech wheel mouse works BETTER with Suse Linux than with Windows XP.
    With Suse and pan I can use the wheel to scroll panes without having to
    click on each pane first. I don't have that hover focus setting enabled
    either because I hate that thing. I am talking about within an
    application. The only way I can do that with Windows XP is to load the
    buggy, bloated Logitech drivers and even then it seems to forget all the
    time when using Forte Agent.
    I don't understand this tilt thing?
    I can hover over the horizontal scroll bar and move the wheel and the
    window scrolls left and right.
    Is that what he is talking about?

    --
    Steve Glenn
    phreddy_philmore&%F@yahoo.com

  2. Re: My Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse with Tilt Wheel Technology.

    Rapskat wrote:

    > On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 14:21:55 -0700, Mike Cox wrote:
    >
    > > I suspect getting my tilt wheel to work involves editing some files, but
    > > I have no clue on how to edit them to get my tilt wheel to work. If
    > > anyone has this mouse and has gotten it to work under linux flawlessly,
    > > please help me.

    > You probably will have to find out what the scancodes are for the port and
    > starboard events of the device and map them to the appropriate scroll
    > functions.

    Left and right cursor keys should do, or is that 'scroll functions'?

    --

    Peter

  3. Re: My Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse with Tilt Wheel Technology.

    "Peter Hayes" wrote in message
    news:1gk5fid.152ge291m1n2rN%peter@seahaze.demon.co .uk...
    > Rapskat wrote:
    >
    > > On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 14:21:55 -0700, Mike Cox wrote:
    > >
    > > > I suspect getting my tilt wheel to work involves editing some files,

    but
    > > > I have no clue on how to edit them to get my tilt wheel to work. If
    > > > anyone has this mouse and has gotten it to work under linux

    flawlessly,
    > > > please help me.

    > > You probably will have to find out what the scancodes are for the port

    and
    > > starboard events of the device and map them to the appropriate scroll
    > > functions.

    > Left and right cursor keys should do, or is that 'scroll functions'?

    I don't want my hand to leave the mouse. A tilt wheel allows one to scroll
    left and right in a window with the mouse just by tilting the scroll wheel
    left and right.

  4. Re: My Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse with Tilt Wheel Technology.

    begin Mike Cox wrote:

    > "Peter Hayes" wrote in message
    > news:1gk5fid.152ge291m1n2rN%peter@seahaze.demon.co .uk...
    >> Rapskat wrote:

    > but

    > flawlessly,
    >> >
    >> > You probably will have to find out what the scancodes are for the port

    > and
    >> > starboard events of the device and map them to the appropriate scroll
    >> > functions.

    >> Left and right cursor keys should do, or is that 'scroll functions'?

    > I don't want my hand to leave the mouse. A tilt wheel allows one to
    > scroll left and right in a window with the mouse just by tilting the
    > scroll wheel left and right.

    I don't do that either. I simply hold down "ALT" when pointing into a
    window. BLAM, instant left/right scrolling of window with the wheel. No
    crappy tilt-wheel needed.
    Why on earth didn't they put a small trackball instead on top of the mouse,
    which can easily scrolled in all directions? The Tilt-wheel is a typical MS
    invention: Idea quite OK, but lacking in detail
    --
    Another name for a Windows tutorial is crash course

  5. Re: My Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse with Tilt Wheel Technology.

    Mike Cox wrote:

    > "Peter Hayes" wrote in message
    > news:1gk5fid.152ge291m1n2rN%peter@seahaze.demon.co .uk...
    > > Rapskat wrote:

    > but

    > flawlessly,
    > > >
    > > > You probably will have to find out what the scancodes are for the port

    > and
    > > > starboard events of the device and map them to the appropriate scroll
    > > > functions.

    > > Left and right cursor keys should do, or is that 'scroll functions'?

    > I don't want my hand to leave the mouse. A tilt wheel allows one to scroll
    > left and right in a window with the mouse just by tilting the scroll wheel
    > left and right.

    Sorry, I meant mapping the left and right scancodes to the left and
    right cursor keys codes, so tilting the wheel left would be the same as
    pressing the left cursor key (which is what I thought Rapskat suggested
    originally and was clarifying).

    --

    Peter

  6. Re: My Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse with Tilt Wheel Technology.

    GreyCloud wrote:

    > Mike Cox wrote:

    <...>

    > > I don't want my hand to leave the mouse. A tilt wheel allows one to scroll
    > > left and right in a window with the mouse just by tilting the scroll wheel
    > > left and right.
    > >

    > My aren't we getting lazy.

    Maybe his other hand is busy doing something else...

    --

    Peter

  7. Re: My Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse with Tilt Wheel Technology.

    In article <2qkg7vF10d4nlU1@uni-berlin.de>, Mike Cox wrote:
    >> > My Microsoft Optical Wireless mouse with Tilt Wheel technology

    >> Is manufactured by M$. What did you expect it to work with? A big IBM
    >> mainframe?

    >I expect it to work under linux because those Linux guys seem to be able to
    >get Linux to run on everything. Or it just seems that way from the slashdot
    >posts. Xbox, toaster, cell phone, slashdot has a post about linux running
    >them.
    >
    >I thought that since Microsoft mice are in the majority, that linux advocate
    >would have gotten my wireless optical mouse with trackball technology to
    >work under Linux.
    >
    >I was wrong though.

    How do you know it does not work? I strongly suspect that the left and
    right tilt are reported as two extra mouse buttons. I'd be surprised
    if Linux has no support for those.

    Run xev and see if you get any X events from tilting. If yes, it is
    supported. Of course, most other _software_ will not know what to do
    with these events - change it as much as you like. The power of Free
    Software ;-)

    Bye,

    Stephan

    --
    -------------------------- It can be done! ---------------------------------
    Please email me as schulz@informatik.tu-muenchen.de (Stephan Schulz)

  8. Re: My Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse with Tilt Wheel Technology.

    Mike Cox wrote:
    > Hi.
    >
    > I have SuSE Linux 8.2 installed on my computer. I also have a
    > Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse with Tilt Wheel Technology that I'd
    > like to get running on my Linux computer. Unfortunately, there is no
    > mouse listed in YAST2 that matches my mouse. I chose the closest one
    > I could find, and it works but the "Tilt Wheel" doesn't. In other
    > words I can scroll vertically just fine, but the side to side
    > scrolling doesn't work.
    >
    > I need the tilt wheel to work because I do a lot of side scrolling due
    > to my small monitor. I installed my mouse on Windows and here is what
    > Microsoft calls it: "Wireless Optical Mouse 2.0". I just need it to
    > work on my linux box.
    >
    > Here is my mouse's website if that would help you see what tilt wheel
    > is:
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mo...s.aspx?pid=005
    >
    > I suspect getting my tilt wheel to work involves editing some files,
    > but I have no clue on how to edit them to get my tilt wheel to work.
    > If anyone has this mouse and has gotten it to work under linux
    > flawlessly, please help me.
    >
    > Thank you all in advance.

    Are you using the ExporerPS/2 driver. This one handles the extended
    protocals your looking for. However There is little chance that any
    software will take advantage of it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2