RH 9 X support for ATI Radeon 9200/9600 Mobility cards - X

This is a discussion on RH 9 X support for ATI Radeon 9200/9600 Mobility cards - X ; I'm considering getting a compaq presario r3000t laptop. I want to be able to run X under RedHat 9. For this laptop, I have the choice of either a 64MB ATI Mobility Radeon 9200 or 128MB ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 ...

  1. RH 9 X support for ATI Radeon 9200/9600 Mobility cards

    I'm considering getting a compaq presario r3000t laptop. I want to be
    able to run X under RedHat 9. For this laptop, I have the choice of
    either a 64MB ATI Mobility Radeon 9200 or 128MB ATI Mobility Radeon
    9600 card. My question, is there support in redhat 9 for these cards?
    I know one has to use proprietary drivers to get 3d etc performance,
    but all I'm interested in is running basic X. Can I do this with
    supplied RH 9 drivers for these cards?
    Thanks

  2. Re: RH 9 X support for ATI Radeon 9200/9600 Mobility cards

    On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 09:29:50 -0700, Dave wrote:

    > Can I do this with supplied RH 9 drivers for these cards? Thanks

    Yup. Just use the vesa drivers.

    HTH.

  3. Re: RH 9 X support for ATI Radeon 9200/9600 Mobility cards

    On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 09:29:50 -0700, Dave wrote:

    > I'm considering getting a compaq presario r3000t laptop. I want to be
    > able to run X under RedHat 9. For this laptop, I have the choice of
    > either a 64MB ATI Mobility Radeon 9200 or 128MB ATI Mobility Radeon 9600
    > card. My question, is there support in redhat 9 for these cards?
    > I know one has to use proprietary drivers to get 3d etc performance,
    > but all I'm interested in is running basic X. Can I do this with supplied
    > RH 9 drivers for these cards? Thanks

    The 9200 will do 2D and 3D just fine with xfree/xorg, but we're talking
    about fedora core 1 or 2. Which is also fine for 2D of 9600.
    If you don't have good reasons for using the ancient redhat 9 (do you?)
    then I'd suggest Fedora core 2 usage.

  4. Re: RH 9 X support for ATI Radeon 9200/9600 Mobility cards

    Dave wrote:
    > I'm considering getting a compaq presario r3000t laptop. I want to be
    > able to run X under RedHat 9. For this laptop, I have the choice of
    > either a 64MB ATI Mobility Radeon 9200 or 128MB ATI Mobility Radeon
    > 9600 card. My question, is there support in redhat 9 for these cards?
    > I know one has to use proprietary drivers to get 3d etc performance,

    Actually, the 9200 *should* be supported with 3D, too, using the "r200"
    driver for DRI (http://dri.sf.net/). The desktop 9200 is the last
    supported by the open-source 3D drives, and I would expect them to work
    for the mobile version too.

+ Reply to Thread