Possible to Duplicate Entire X Display? - X

This is a discussion on Possible to Duplicate Entire X Display? - X ; I have a local machine and a remote machine. On the local machine I would like to duplicate the entire display of the remote machine (passively for monitoring only). Is this possible through X configuration or only via extra tools ...

  1. Possible to Duplicate Entire X Display?

    I have a local machine and a remote machine. On the local machine I
    would like to duplicate the entire display of the remote machine
    (passively for monitoring only). Is this possible through X
    configuration or only via extra tools like VNC?

    Assume permissions are set accordingly and there is plenty of
    bandwidth, etc.

    Thanks,

    Gary H.

  2. Re: Possible to Duplicate Entire X Display?

    On 9 Sep 2004 10:34:02 -0700, Gary Huntress staggered into the Black Sun
    and said:
    > I have a local machine and a remote machine. On the local machine I
    > would like to duplicate the entire display of the remote machine
    > (passively for monitoring only). Is this possible through X
    > configuration or only via extra tools like VNC?
    >
    > Assume permissions are set accordingly and there is plenty of
    > bandwidth, etc.

    The simplest solution from an end-user perspective would be to start and
    configure KDE Desktop Sharing on the remote machine. KDE Control
    Center->Internet and Network->Desktop Sharing, allow uninvited
    connections, set a password, make sure the "allow uninvited connections
    to control the desktop" box is unchecked. Then you can just "vncviewer
    remote" or "krdc -f -m -p ~/.somewhere/passwordfile remote" on local and
    everything's cool.

    Or use x2x. http://www.the-labs.com/X11/#x2x , really small program,
    don't know whether it will do monitoring only, but it might.

    http://www.brainbench.com / Hire me!