up2date breaks X on Fedora - X

This is a discussion on up2date breaks X on Fedora - X ; Hi all, I installed fedora core 2 on my machine and the installation went well. I immediately used up2date afterwards and one of the series of files updated was from X.org. After the update, logging as root works fine, but ...

  1. up2date breaks X on Fedora

    Hi all,

    I installed fedora core 2 on my machine and the installation went well. I
    immediately used up2date afterwards and one of the series of files updated
    was from X.org. After the update, logging as root works fine, but for a
    normal user, I get the following error:

    "Error activating XKB configuration. Probably internal X server problem."

    I also noticed that keyboard, for example, is messed up (Each key is typed
    twice). Since X for root works fine. It must be a permission problem. Does
    anyone know which files I have to change permissions for and what the
    correct permissions are?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: up2date breaks X on Fedora

    rsina wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I installed fedora core 2 on my machine and the installation went well. I
    > immediately used up2date afterwards and one of the series of files updated
    > was from X.org. After the update, logging as root works fine, but for a
    > normal user, I get the following error:
    >
    > "Error activating XKB configuration. Probably internal X server problem."
    >
    > I also noticed that keyboard, for example, is messed up (Each key is typed
    > twice). Since X for root works fine. It must be a permission problem. Does
    > anyone know which files I have to change permissions for and what the
    > correct permissions are?

    You may not be aware of this, but we get posts every day from the victims of
    up2date. Only use up2date if you are extremely skilled with Linux. It can
    screw up a system faster than a wet cat.

    --
    Paul Lutus
    http://www.arachnoid.com

+ Reply to Thread