X server frequencies out of range - X

This is a discussion on X server frequencies out of range - X ; Hi, My CRT monitor died on Saturday so I went and bought a flat panel monitor. When I start Linux (FC2 btw), as soon as the X server tries to start the monitor goes blank and displays a 'frequency out ...

  1. X server frequencies out of range

    Hi,

    My CRT monitor died on Saturday so I went and bought a flat panel monitor.

    When I start Linux (FC2 btw), as soon as the X server tries to start the
    monitor goes blank and displays a 'frequency out of range' message. The new
    monitor can only do 75Hz refresh rate, so I assume that my X config the
    refresh rate for the previous monitor is higher and that is what is causing
    the problem.

    CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE restarts the xserver, after 6 attempts it kills the
    xserver for two minutes before re-starting it.

    I need to get in and change the config file, where can I find it on Fedora
    Core 2?And what is it called ?

    Cheers

    Neal

  2. Re: X server frequencies out of range

    On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 10:43:57 +0100, Neal Middlemore wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > My CRT monitor died on Saturday so I went and bought a flat panel monitor.
    >
    > When I start Linux (FC2 btw), as soon as the X server tries to start the
    > monitor goes blank and displays a 'frequency out of range' message. The
    > new monitor can only do 75Hz refresh rate, so I assume that my X config
    > the refresh rate for the previous monitor is higher and that is what is
    > causing the problem.
    >
    > CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE restarts the xserver, after 6 attempts it kills the
    > xserver for two minutes before re-starting it.
    >
    > I need to get in and change the config file, where can I find it on Fedora
    > Core 2?And what is it called ?
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Neal

    Get Linux to character mode as root and run

    "system-config-xfree86 -help"
    "system-config-xfree86 -reconfigure"

    It also prompts you for a screen resolution you require.

    No need to understand Xwindows config files!

  3. Re: X server frequencies out of range

    "Alf Tanner"

    > Get Linux to character mode as root and run
    >
    > "system-config-xfree86 -help"
    > "system-config-xfree86 -reconfigure"
    >
    > It also prompts you for a screen resolution you require.
    >
    > No need to understand Xwindows config files!

    Thanks Alf, I'll try it tonight.

    --
    Neal Middlemore

+ Reply to Thread