Prevent gui from loading - X

This is a discussion on Prevent gui from loading - X ; Hi Is there a way to prevent the gui interface ( KDE) from starting at boot. I have installed Debian but messed up the video settings. The display is unusable and I cant start a terminal so as to edit ...

  1. Prevent gui from loading

    Hi
    Is there a way to prevent the gui interface ( KDE) from starting at boot. I
    have installed Debian but messed up the video settings. The display is
    unusable and I cant start a terminal so as to edit XF86Config-4.
    Thanks

  2. Re: Prevent gui from loading

    On Mon, 6 Sep 2004 19:11:08 +1000, doug staggered into the Black Sun and
    said:
    > Is there a way to prevent the gui interface ( KDE) from starting at
    > boot.

    In written English, put a "?" at the end of a sentence that asks a
    question.

    > I have installed Debian but messed up the video settings. The display
    > is unusable and I cant start a terminal so as to edit XF86Config-4.

    What, Ctrl-Alt-F1 doesn't work? Good grief. Well, if you're using
    LILO, enter "linux 3" at the LILO: prompt. This will start the machine
    in runlevel 3, where everything except X is started. (Debian may use
    runlevel 2 for this, but every other distro that uses SysV init uses 3.)
    Similar thing if you're using GRUB, edit the command line and put a 3 on
    the end.

    http://www.brainbench.com / Hire me!

  3. Re: Prevent gui from loading

    "doug" writes:

    > Hi
    > Is there a way to prevent the gui interface ( KDE) from starting at boot. I
    > have installed Debian but messed up the video settings. The display is
    > unusable and I cant start a terminal so as to edit XF86Config-4.

    In Redhat/Fedora systems, run level 3 is the command line level, and run level
    5 is the gui. For example on my systems, I always use command line mode, and I
    use:

    # Default runlevel. The runlevels used by RHS are:
    # 0 - halt (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
    # 1 - Single user mode
    # 2 - Multiuser, without NFS (The same as 3, if you do not have networking)
    # 3 - Full multiuser mode
    # 4 - unused
    # 5 - X11
    # 6 - reboot (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
    #
    id:3:initdefault:

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email: mrmnews@the-meissners.org

  4. Re: Prevent gui from loading

    doug wrote:
    > Hi
    > Is there a way to prevent the gui interface ( KDE) from starting at boot. I
    > have installed Debian but messed up the video settings. The display is
    > unusable and I cant start a terminal so as to edit XF86Config-4.
    > Thanks

    Hi
    at the boot prompt, say " 1" or " single"
    which is equivalent wiht no quotes of course.

    THis boots into maintenance environment, which starts no
    boot-up-scripts, so X is started, neither.

    Sascha

+ Reply to Thread