source code for reading latest EDID information from monitor? - X

This is a discussion on source code for reading latest EDID information from monitor? - X ; Dear all, I am looking for source code for reading the latest EDID information from monitors. I believe the following information is important and they should be somewhere in the EDID block in the monitors, maybe the 256 byte version, ...

  1. source code for reading latest EDID information from monitor?

    Dear all,

    I am looking for source code for reading the latest EDID information from
    monitors.

    I believe the following information is important and they should be
    somewhere in the EDID block in the monitors, maybe the 256 byte version,
    esp. for those new models of monitors.

    But I am not sure how to read these infomation out.

    Any thoughts? Thanks a lot!

    1.
    Whether the display device is an LCD screen.

    2.
    Whether the display device is connected to the graphics device via a
    digital connection, such as DVI. Digital connections for LCDs, such as the
    Digital Video Interface (DVI) are preferred, since they provide more
    accurate displaced subpixel rendering quality. For more details on DVI, see
    http://www.ddwg.org .

    3.
    Striping of the LCD, and whether it's horizontal or vertical. The
    pixels of most color LCDs are composed of red, green and blue fragments in a
    horizontal or vertical orientation, and this configuration is known as the
    "striping." Vertical striping, where the screen is composed of vertical
    strips of red, green, and blue fragments, is preferred since it effectively
    provides three separate fragments in a row for every pixel, thereby giving
    more horizontal subpixel resolution.

    4.
    Ordering of the LCD color fragments. The color fragments may be ordered
    R-G-B or B-G-R from left-to-right or top-to-bottom. Note that this is
    independent of the RGB ordering of the frame buffer.

    5.
    Whether the LCD screen is operating in its native pixel resolution, or
    whether it is a scaled resolution. Because of the nature of displaced
    subpixel rendering, its quality is reduced when a pixel in the frame buffer
    is mapped to more than one physical pixel on the LCD screen. An example of
    this is when the native resolution is 1024x768, but the current mode is
    640x480, and the device scales the output to fill the entire screen.

    6.
    Gamma of the display. This may be any value from 1.0 to 2.4, although
    it is recommended that the display device use the sRGB gamma.

  2. Re: source code for reading latest EDID information from monitor?

    lucy wrote:

    > I am looking for source code for reading the latest EDID information from
    > monitors.

    http://www.google.com/linux
    Searched the web for

    Authentic: Indubitably true, in somebody's opinion.

  3. Re: source code for reading latest EDID information from monitor?

    "mjt" wrote in message
    news:fmY_c.8771$w%6.1894@newsread1.news.pas.earthl ink.net...
    > lucy wrote:
    >
    >> I am looking for source code for reading the latest EDID information from
    >> monitors.

    > http://www.google.com/linux
    > Searched the web for
    > Results 1 - 10 of about 1,300. Search took 0.41 seconds.
    >
    > --
    > << http://michaeljtobler.homelinux.com/ >>
    > Authentic: Indubitably true, in somebody's opinion.

    Sigh, I should emphasize the word "LATEST", which means the newest 256 bytes
    EDID that can tell us how the RGB subpixels of a LCD are layouted...

    I am looking for that one; I have done the google search, and in fact have
    read most of the sites on google, they are all for old 128 byte EDID.

    Any more thoughts?

+ Reply to Thread