1400x1050 under Fedora Core 2 - X

This is a discussion on 1400x1050 under Fedora Core 2 - X ; Hello, I'm trying to configure X on a Compaq Evo N800c under Fedora Core 2. On installation it detected the video card (ATI Radeon Mobility 7500) but did not detect the laptop monitor. Bringing up the display settings after installation ...

  1. 1400x1050 under Fedora Core 2

    Hello,

    I'm trying to configure X on a Compaq Evo N800c under Fedora Core
    2. On installation it detected the video card (ATI Radeon Mobility
    7500) but did not detect the laptop monitor. Bringing up the display
    settings after installation shows the monitor type to be LCD Panel
    1400x1050.

    My problem is that when I set the resolution to 1400x1050 I get a
    band down the right side of the screen where everything is hazy
    looking (overlayed with transparent blue squares), for lack of a
    better term. 1280x1024 works fine. Is it possible to set 1400x1050
    in FC2?

    Thanks,

    Patrick

    S P Engineering, Inc. | The experts in large scale distributed OO
    | systems design and implementation.
    pjm@spe.com | (C++, Java, ObjectStore, Oracle, CORBA, UML)

  2. Re: 1400x1050 under Fedora Core 2

    Patrick May writes:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm trying to configure X on a Compaq Evo N800c under Fedora Core
    > 2. On installation it detected the video card (ATI Radeon Mobility
    > 7500) but did not detect the laptop monitor. Bringing up the display
    > settings after installation shows the monitor type to be LCD Panel
    > 1400x1050.
    >
    > My problem is that when I set the resolution to 1400x1050 I get a
    > band down the right side of the screen where everything is hazy
    > looking (overlayed with transparent blue squares), for lack of a
    > better term. 1280x1024 works fine. Is it possible to set 1400x1050
    > in FC2?

    For what its worth, I had no problem get my Winbook J4 to work on 1400x1050
    resolution in Red Hat 9, Fedora 1, and Fedora 2. I believe I tried Mandrake on
    it at some point as well. It sounds like one of the refresh rates is set too
    high (or you really have a 1280x1024 screen).

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email: mrmnews@the-meissners.org

  3. Re: 1400x1050 under Fedora Core 2

    Michael Meissner writes:
    > > I'm trying to configure X on a Compaq Evo N800c under Fedora Core
    > > 2. On installation it detected the video card (ATI Radeon Mobility
    > > 7500) but did not detect the laptop monitor. Bringing up the display
    > > settings after installation shows the monitor type to be LCD Panel
    > > 1400x1050.
    > >
    > > My problem is that when I set the resolution to 1400x1050 I get a
    > > band down the right side of the screen where everything is hazy
    > > looking (overlayed with transparent blue squares), for lack of a
    > > better term. 1280x1024 works fine. Is it possible to set 1400x1050
    > > in FC2?

    > For what its worth, I had no problem get my Winbook J4 to work on
    > 1400x1050 resolution in Red Hat 9, Fedora 1, and Fedora 2. I
    > believe I tried Mandrake on it at some point as well. It sounds
    > like one of the refresh rates is set too high (or you really have a
    > 1280x1024 screen).

    Thanks for the input. I just installed Mandrake and it works
    fine at 1400x1050. Mandrake is using XFree86 4.3 while Fedora Core 2
    is using Xorg. Could that be an issue?

    Regards,

    Patrick

    S P Engineering, Inc. | The experts in large scale distributed OO
    | systems design and implementation.
    pjm@spe.com | (C++, Java, ObjectStore, Oracle, CORBA, UML)

  4. Re: 1400x1050 under Fedora Core 2

    Patrick May writes:

    > Michael Meissner writes:
    > > > I'm trying to configure X on a Compaq Evo N800c under Fedora Core
    > > > 2. On installation it detected the video card (ATI Radeon Mobility
    > > > 7500) but did not detect the laptop monitor. Bringing up the display
    > > > settings after installation shows the monitor type to be LCD Panel
    > > > 1400x1050.
    > > >
    > > > My problem is that when I set the resolution to 1400x1050 I get a
    > > > band down the right side of the screen where everything is hazy
    > > > looking (overlayed with transparent blue squares), for lack of a
    > > > better term. 1280x1024 works fine. Is it possible to set 1400x1050
    > > > in FC2?

    > > For what its worth, I had no problem get my Winbook J4 to work on
    > > 1400x1050 resolution in Red Hat 9, Fedora 1, and Fedora 2. I
    > > believe I tried Mandrake on it at some point as well. It sounds
    > > like one of the refresh rates is set too high (or you really have a
    > > 1280x1024 screen).

    > Thanks for the input. I just installed Mandrake and it works
    > fine at 1400x1050. Mandrake is using XFree86 4.3 while Fedora Core 2
    > is using Xorg. Could that be an issue?

    It may be Mandrake has the binary-only ATI module that does the low level X
    server, and Fedora does not (fedora tends to be open source only). My laptop
    is old enough that the ATI chip in it is supported by the sources in Xfree/Xorg
    (when the laptop was running Red Hat 9 and Fedora 1, it was running Xfree, but
    Fedora changed to Xorg due to the licensing requirements).

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email: mrmnews@the-meissners.org
    http://www.the-meissners.org

  5. Re: 1400x1050 under Fedora Core 2

    On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 13:04:52 +0100, Patrick May wrote:

    > Michael Meissner writes:
    >> > I'm trying to configure X on a Compaq Evo N800c under Fedora Core
    >> > 2. On installation it detected the video card (ATI Radeon Mobility
    >> > 7500) but did not detect the laptop monitor. Bringing up the display
    >> > settings after installation shows the monitor type to be LCD Panel
    >> > 1400x1050.
    >> >
    >> > My problem is that when I set the resolution to 1400x1050 I get a
    >> > band down the right side of the screen where everything is hazy
    >> > looking (overlayed with transparent blue squares), for lack of a
    >> > better term. 1280x1024 works fine. Is it possible to set 1400x1050
    >> > in FC2?

    >> For what its worth, I had no problem get my Winbook J4 to work on
    >> 1400x1050 resolution in Red Hat 9, Fedora 1, and Fedora 2. I believe I
    >> tried Mandrake on it at some point as well. It sounds like one of the
    >> refresh rates is set too high (or you really have a 1280x1024 screen).

    > Thanks for the input. I just installed Mandrake and it works
    > fine at 1400x1050. Mandrake is using XFree86 4.3 while Fedora Core 2 is
    > using Xorg. Could that be an issue?

    Hi Patrick,
    I am running FC2 on my Dell 5150 at 1400x1050 perfectly. So Xorg *can* do
    it. If you do try out Fedora again, you could possibly try the Del laptop
    screen option.

    Regards,
    David

+ Reply to Thread